General Manager (200+ Rooms) Bonus Eligible
Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 20034733
Job Category Property Leadership
Location SpringHill Suites Miami Downtown/Medical Center, 1311 NW 10th Avenue, Miami, Florida, United States VIEW ON MAP
Brand SpringHill Suites
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
Functions as the primary strategic business leader of the Springhill Suites property with responsibility for all aspects of the operation, including managing general property performance, profitability, revenue generation, sustaining sales and marketing strategy, conducting human resources activities, and delivering a return on investment. Leads the team in the development and implementation of property-wide strategies. Ensures implementation of the brand service strategy and brand initiatives with the objective of meeting or exceeding guest expectations. Builds relationships with key customers and is involved in the sales process.
Education and Experience
• 2-year degree from an accredited university in Business Administration, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major; 4 years’ experience in the guest services, front desk, housekeeping, sales and marketing, management operations, or related professional area.
• 4-year bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major; 2 years’ experience in the guest services, front desk, housekeeping, sales and marketing, management operations, or related professional area.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Managing Property Operations and Department Budgets
• Ensures service programs are in place and executed against (e.g., Refreshing Business, Service Snapshots, Service So Memorable, etc.).
• Provides timely, real-time feedback to management and hourly employees on service and operational standards; including feedback on even the smallest of service and operational details.
• Manages the flow of labor between departments to support effective management of Labor Budget and achievement of profitability goals
• Creates and supports clear lines of responsibility for management team, including coverage and oversight throughout the day
• Prepares for QA audits (i.e., daily and pre-visit activities).
• Reviews and follows up on property guest satisfaction scores and comments.
• Acts as a project manager for the execution of capital improvements (e.g., renovations, reinventions, refreshes, signage, etc.).
• Walks the property to ensure public spaces, grounds, work and kitchen areas meet sanitation and cleanliness/maintenance standards.
• Manages the implementation of major brand standards (e.g., HSIA, the Market, TPS A.M. Eats).
• Delegates responsibilities for operations and projects to appropriate level of employee.
• Provides coaching on operations and troubleshooting of Micros and other technology components within property common areas.
Managing and Sustaining Sales and Marketing Strategy
• Works with the Regional Sales office (RSO) to implement sales strategy for the property (e.g., goal setting, setting rates, etc.).
• Works with Market Sales to establish property sales strategy, goals, and action plans.
• Identifies and champions creative marketing solutions that fit the brand and property needs.
• Participates in the property sales review (PSR).
• Manages relationships with decision makers at top accounts.
• Develops innovative means for capturing new streams of revenue through property amenities.
• Interacts with in-house guests to prospect for new sources of business.
• Ensures direct sales staff fully utilizes e-tools (e.g., e-proposals, e-mail signatures), as appropriate.
• Identifies key revenue generating stakeholders and customers and communicate information to sales offices.
• Coaches and reinforces employee selling strategies that take advantage of property amenities.
• Ensures all national and regional marketing programs (e.g., HSIA, etc.) are pulled through to relevant departments.
• Participates in and host customer recognition events to drive sales.
• Understands and leverages sales and marketing advantages over competitor properties within market.
• Monitors sales strategy with RSO to ensure ongoing effectiveness and compliance.
• Manages on-property controllable costs associated with rooms, housekeeping, events, and food and beverage operations.
• Measures, analyzes, and communicates property performance using a variety of financial/non-financial data including controllable costs, sales revenue, guest satisfaction, and employee engagement data.
• Updates and communicates profit forecasts to employees.
• Initiates action to support property revenue and profitability goals.
• Understands how food and beverage product variability can affect profitability.
• Reviews and sign off on invoices.
• Reviews Property Distribution Summary (OnDemand) and Purchase Detail Reports; identify, research, and resolve balance issues.
• Consolidates reports needed for period-end review (e.g., P&L, Accounting Scorecard, Banking Report and Statistics, PACE, credit card fraud report).
• Reviews property performance on period basis with Regional Director.
• Ensures compliance with Avendra.
Maintaining Revenue Management Goals
• Manages the relationship with the revenue management office (e.g., participate in routine calls, strategy meetings, periodic update meetings, etc.).
• Reviews and works with appropriate revenue management reports (e.g., Demand Eye Chart, Benchmark Pricing Evaluator, Rate/Value Matrix, Smith Travel Research (STR) reports, etc.).
• Balances inventory to ensure same-day sellouts.
Managing Relationships with Property Stakeholders (e.g., Owner and Above Property)
• Keeps brand leadership team, owners, and above property stakeholders updated on property performance in the areas of financials, guest satisfaction, and employee engagement.
• Prepares and presents reports for owners and above property leadership using financial/performance data to show how the Refreshing Business model is affecting property performance.
• Conducts property critique.
• Conducts annual business reviews.
• Participates in ad hoc owner conference calls and respond appropriately to owner requests.
• Responds to off-property (e.g., regional and owner) requests for sales information (e.g., Market Outlook, STR Report critique, etc.).
Managing and Conducting Human Resource activities
• Leads employees through property changes, and helps them transition into new property roles.
• Understands the performance expectations for all positions within the property (e.g. front desk employee, gourmet attendant, etc).
• Conducts day to day Human Resource transactions to support needs of the property (e.g., compensation actions, initiation and approval of hiring requisitions, movement of subordinates through phases of performance management cycle).
• Completes management training (e.g., ConnectU, GM conferences, HR Skills, etc.).
• Cascades/delivers training to employees (e.g., Service So Memorable Quarterly Recharge, Service Snapshot, etc.).
• Facilitates cross training to support employee professional growth and operational excellence.
• Ensures ongoing development of managers (e.g., one on one coaching, providing stretch assignments, etc.).
• Monitors local hiring and compensation trends for like positions; ensure that the organization understands any change in fundamentals.
• Conducts performance review process for employees (including LPP, career plan form, development plans, employee information form, mid-year check-ins, 90-day check ins for new employees, etc.).
• Supports recruitment efforts from various sourcing channels (e.g., local job fairs, Internet, referrals) to target employees with skill sets (e.g., food and beverage, rooms operations) compatible for operational needs.
• Actively recruits and hires employees with basic food and beverage skill sets.
• Manages e-mail.
• Manages daily paper mail.
• Participates in conference calls (e.g., sales, promotion, Q&A, property performance, etc.).
• Provides follow-up information to RD and other CFRST managers.
• Prepares for RD visits (e.g., pulling and consolidating relevant reports).