Director of Front Office
Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 20019981
Job Category Rooms and Guest Services Operations
Location W New York – Union Square, 201 Park Ave S, New York, New York, United States VIEW ON MAP
Brand W Hotels
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
We share our guests’ passions, providing insider access to what’s new and what’s next. Moderation is not in our vocabulary and we know that lust for life demands more, not less. W guests soak it in and live each day with a mantra: Detox.Retox.Repeat. If you’re ready to create the energetic W scene that is magnetic to everyday disruptors around the world, then we invite you to explore a career with W Hotels.
Responsible for all front office functions and staff as well as security staff functions. Areas of responsibility include Bell Staff, Switchboard Operations, Guest Services/Front Desk, Retail/Gift Shop, Concierge, Valets, and Security, as applicable. As a department head, directs and works with managers and employees to successfully execute all front office operations, including guest arrival and departure procedures. Works to establish a safe and secure environment for all guests and associates. Strives to continually improve guest and employee satisfaction and maximize the financial performance of the department.
Education and Experience
• High school diploma or GED; 6 years experience in the guest services, front desk, or related professional area.
• 2-year degree from an accredited university in Hotel and Restaurant Management, Hospitality, Business Administration or related major; 4 years experience in the guest services, front desk, or related professional area.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Leading Front Desk, Guest Services, and Security Teams
• Utilizes interpersonal and communication skills to lead, influence, and encourage others; advocates sound financial/business decision making; demonstrates honesty/integrity; leads by example.
• Encourages and builds mutual trust, respect, and cooperation among team members.
• Serves as a role model to demonstrate appropriate behaviors.
• Supervises and manages employees. Manages all day-to-day operations. Understands employee positions well enough to perform duties in employees' absence.
• Establishes and maintains open, collaborative relationships with employees and ensures employees do the same within the team.
• Ensures recognition of employees is taking place across areas of responsibility.
• Communicates performance expectations in accordance with job descriptions for each position and monitors progress.
• Celebrates successes and publicly recognizes the contributions of team members.
Managing Guest Services and Front Desk Teams
• Achieves and exceeds goals including performance goals, budget goals, team goals, etc.
• Manages day-to-day operations, ensuring the quality, standards and meeting the expectations of the customers on a daily basis.
• Develops specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish work.
• Keeps Front Office team focused on the critical components of operations to drive guest satisfaction and the desired financial results.
• Conducts department meetings and continually communicates a clear and consistent message regarding department goals to produce desired results.
• Supervises and coordinates all activities for luggage attendants, garage valets, door attendants, and concierge.
• Reviews staffing levels to ensure that guest service, operational needs and financial objectives are met.
• Understands the impact of Front Office operations on the Rooms area and overall property financial goals.
• Manages department controllable expenses to achieve or exceed budgeted goals.
• Provide recommendations and reports for capital expenditures, repairs and maintenance programs for all front office areas.
• Handle guest complaints and verify that all guest issues are resolved.
Managing Security Team
• Protects property and provides a safe environment for guests and staff.
• Oversees all on-duty security personnel, including dispatcher.
• Supervises and coordinates job assignments and verifies that each officer is briefed on the day’s activities.
• Complies information and files written security reports.
Managing Projects and Policies
• Verifies compliance with all Front Office policies, standards and procedures.
• Verifies property policies are administered fairly and consistently, disciplinary procedures and documentation are completed according to Standard and Local Operating Procedures (SOPs and LSOPs) and support the Peer Review Process.
Providing Exceptional Customer Service
• Provides services that are above and beyond for customer satisfaction and retention.
• Coordinates activities with other hotel departments in order to facilitate incrased levels of communication and guest satisfaction.
• Improves service by communicating and assisting individuals to understand guest needs, providing guidance, feedback, and individual coaching when needed.
• Supervises and managing employees. Managing all day-to-day operations. Understanding employee positions well enough to perform duties in employees' absence.
• Acts as the “Service Champion” for the Front Office and creates a positive atmosphere for guest relations.
• Displays leadership in guest hospitality, exemplifies excellent customer service, and creates a positive atmosphere for guest relations.
• Strives to improve service performance.
• Empowers employees to provide excellent customer service.
• Verifies that all Front Office areas have an atmosphere that is conducive to the overall guest experience.
• Reviews comment cards, guest satisfaction results and other data to identify areas of improvement.
• Responds to and handles guest problems and complaints.
• Observes service behaviors of employees and provides feedback to individuals and/or managers.
Managing and Conducting Human Resource Activities
• Identifies the developmental needs of others and coaching, mentoring, or otherwise helping others to improve their knowledge or skills.
• Provides guidance and direction to subordinates, including setting performance standards and monitoring performance.
• Establishes challenging, realistic and obtainable goals to guide operation and performance.
• Solicits employee feedback, utilizes an “open door” policy, and reviews employee satisfaction results to identify and address employee problems or concerns.
• Verifies employees are treated fairly and equitably.
• Manages employee progressive discipline procedures for Front Office Staff.
• Administers the performance appraisal process for direct report managers.
• Interviews and hires managers and hourly employee team members with the appropriate skills and in a timely manner to meet the business needs of the operation.
• Provides information to supervisors, co-workers, and subordinates by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person.
• Analyzes information and evaluating results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
• Informs and/or updates the executives, the peers and the subordinates on relevant information in a timely manner.
• Identifies and analyzes departmental operational challenges and facilitates the development of solutions to prevent re-occurrence.