Director of Human Resources
Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 20011328
Job Category Human Resources
Location W Sydney, 31 Wheat Road, Darling Harbour, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia VIEW ON MAP
Brand W Hotels
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
We share our guests’ passions, providing insider access to what’s new and what’s next. Moderation is not in our vocabulary and we know that lust for life demands more, not less. W guests soak it in and live each day with a mantra: Detox.Retox.Repeat. If you’re ready to create the energetic W scene that is magnetic to everyday disruptors around the world, then we invite you to explore a career with W Hotels.
The W Sydney has 450 guest rooms and suites and 136 one, two- and three-bedroom apartments, 3 beverage and food outlets, a 600 SM ballroom and 3 meeting rooms. Guests will enjoy uninterrupted water views across Sydney Harbour to the north and a vista across the city and Tumbalong park. The W Sydney offers easy accessibility and good proximity to the newly reopened Sydney convention & exhibition centre, retail and dining facilities located in and around the Darling Harbour area, including Cockle Bay Wharf and Harbourside Shopping Centre and major tourist attractions located in Sydney Harbour.
The hotel is project to open in Q1, 2021.
Purpose of Role:
The Director of the Human Resources organization contributes a high level of human resource generalist knowledge and expertise for the property. The DOHR will be accountable for talent acquisition, succession/workforce planning, performance management and development for property employees, using technology efficiently, and coaching/developing others to help influence and execute business objectives in the most efficient manner. The DOHR generally works with considerable independence, developing processes to accomplish objectives in alignment with broader business objectives. Additionally, the DOHR utilizes a Human Resource Business Plan aligned with property and brand strategies to deliver HR services that enable business success.
Cast Key Responsibilities:
Managing the Human Resources Strategy
- Executes and follows-up on engagement survey related activities.
- Champions and builds the talent management ranks in support of property and region diversity strategy.
- Translates business priorities into property Human Resources strategies, plans and actions
- Implements and sustains Human Resources initiatives at the property.
- Coordinates the human capital review process at property(s) and leads succession planning activities on property and in the market, as appropriate.
- Leads the assessment of property(s) leadership pipeline through the human capital review process and assists with follow-up.
- Creates value through proactive approaches that will affect performance outcome or control cost.
- Monitors effective use of myHR by property managers and employees.
- Leads and participates in succession management and workforce planning.
- Responsible for Human Resources strategy and execution.
- Serves as key change manager for initiatives that have high employee impact.
- Attends owners meetings as a member of the property executive committee and provides meaning or context to the Human Resources results (e.g., retention statistics, critical open positions, employee satisfaction, and training initiatives and results); and demonstrates an understanding of owner priorities.
- Supervises one or more on-property Human Resources, as well as market-based Human Resources Specialist type resources where appropriate.
Managing Staffing and Recruitment Process
- Analyzes open positions to balance the development of existing talent and business needs.
- Serves as coach and expert facilitator of the selection and interviewing process.
- Surfaces opportunities in work processes and staffing optimization.
- Makes staffing decisions to manage the talent cadre and pipeline at the property.
- Develops staffing strategy (in collaboration with hiring manager) relating to hiring practices; consults with hiring manager on compensation, benefits, etc.
- Monitors sourcing process and outcomes of staffing process.
Managing Employee Compensation Strategy
Ensures managers are competent in assessing and evaluating hourly staff
- Remains current and knowledgeable in the internal and external compensation and work competitive environments.
- Leads the planning of the hourly employee total compensation strategy.
- Champions the communication and proper use of total compensation systems, tools, programs, policies, etc.
- Participates in quarterly internal equity analysis; reviews internal equity reports and surface issues needing resolution.
- Creates and implement s total compensation management packages/offers, particularly recognition and incentive programs directed towards property priorities.
Managing Staff Development Activities
- Ensures completion of the duties and responsibilities of the properties’ Human Resources staff members, as outlined in applicable job description(s).
- Ensures property Human Resources staff is properly trained in all employee-related human resource information to appropriately respond to property employees.
- Serves as resource to property Human Resources staff on employee relations questions and issues.
- Continually reinforces positive employee relations concepts.
Collaboration and Communication with the Senior Leadership Team and all talent within W Sydney
Promoting effective communication amongst all talents within the Revenue Management department to ensure every member of the team has sufficient information and resources to fuel the lust for life of our internal & external guests.
Building long-lasting relationships with talents and guests at all times.
Providing guidance to all talents by giving constructive feedback. To identify talent’s learning gaps and develop training systems designed around employees’ developmental needs.
Understanding the talent within the department’s strengths and weaknesses and in doing so, foster a working environment where all talents are able to build on constructive feedback. To encourage the use of direct and indirect feedback to improve talent’s self-awareness and development in growing with Marriott.
Embracing the W Sydney Core Vision and Values and ensuring it is cascaded to our talent
Promoting a playful working culture based on Marriott’s “Put People First” culture and W Hotels’ Core Values whereby talents can achieve their fullest potential and their accomplishments are recognized and rewarded.
Embracing talent development by actively planning and participating in training initiatives.
Encouraging bottom-up feedback and communication to regularly review and action on talent suggestions.
Acting ethically in the handling, reporting and use of confidential information.
Ensure health & safety regulations standards are complied with.
Working knowledge of federal, state and local laws governing equal employment opportunity and civil rights, occupational safety and health, wage and hour issues, and labour relations.
Conducting meetings, communicating regularly with peers and other departments.
Flexibility to respond to a range of different work situations.
Talent and Key Competencies
Produce exciting shows together
Get it Done, Make it Happen
Get it done creatively
Think and act proactively
Do it with style
Believe and Achieve
Believe in W and personally engage
Be all that is now, embrace what is next
Achieve your potential
Cultivate your talent
Be An Expert
Know your job and serve as an expert in your particular area
Effectively learn and apply job knowledge and technical skills
Work to improve your functional skills for the future
Readily share your expertise with other
Serve as a champion of W through words, actions and gestures
Follow brand standards
Have and show pride in W
Support the brand values: Bold, Witty, Insider
Influence Your Audience
Communicate clearly and thoughtfully to engage your audience
Use the brand voice when writing and speaking to promote the culture
Tailor method and style to persuade and capture the attention of your audience
Continually enhance stand-up and visual presentation skills
Flex Your Style
Know your strengths and weaknesses
Understand how your style and actions affect others
Understand what’s going on around you
Choose to stay cool, confident, thoughtful and encourage others to follow your lead
Fill emotional bank accounts
Know when it’s time to change and try new things
Foster excitement for what’s next
Encourage the free exchange of ideas and risk taking
Bench mark the best and adapt good ideas to make them great
Build and communicate the case for change
Influence others to innovate and evolve
Solve the Right Problem
Support and investigate the resolution of important problems
Escalate issues and eliminate barriers to progress
Secure additional resources where payoff is clear
Provide guidance and work together to find creative solutions
Be a Talent Magnet
Hire for attitude and train for skills
Actively coach and develop others
Lead with Passion
Show passion for what we do
Inspire, celebrate and promote team success
Align and Engage
Solicit input and involve others
Work through others to execute plans and achieve objectives
Technical / Functional Competencies
Excellent networking and communications skills.
A genuine personal interest in lifestyle events and information that is close to W’s core values and brand positioning.
Excellent interpersonal and problem resolution skills with an outgoing personality and ability to work as part of a team.
Excellent communication and organization skills – ability to handle multiple tasks at once and follow-up whenever needed
Excellent analytical and numerical skills
Minimum of 3 years’ experience in a hotel HR team
Australia experience required
Other skills (Language, computers)
Must be able to speak, read, write and understand English. Additional knowledge of international and local languages is appreciated but not mandated.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws