Director of Engineering- The Westin Galleria & Westin Oaks Houston
Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 20006409
Job Category Engineering and Facilities
Location The Westin Galleria Houston, 5060 W Alabama St, Houston, Texas, United States VIEW ON MAP
Brand Westin Hotels & Resorts
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
Functions as the property's strategic facilities business leader. Manages all engineering/maintenance and housekeeping related operations. Position has overall responsibility for maintaining the building, grounds and physical plant, cleanliness of guest rooms, public space, recreation and laundry. Develops and implements strategies that will deliver products and services, which meet or exceed the needs and expectations of guests and employees while maximizing the financial performance. Responsible for maintaining standards and regulatory requirements. Leads the emergency response team for all facility issues.
Education and Experience
• High school diploma or GED; 6 years experience in the engineering and maintenance or related professional area; technical training in HVAC-R/Electrical/Plumbing.
• 2-year degree from an accredited university in Building and Construction, Engineering, Mechanics, or related major; 4 years experience in the engineering and maintenance or related professional area; technical training in HVAC-R/Electrical/Plumbing.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Leading and Managing Engineering and Housekeeping Operations
• Develops engineering and housekeeping operating strategy that is aligned with the brand's business strategy and leads its execution.
• Develops project plans in accordance with renovation or new construction needs.
• Oversees execution of preventative maintenance and asset protection plan.
• Manages the physical plant including equipment, refrigeration, HVAC, plumbing, water treatment and electrical systems in accordance with brand Standard Operating Procedures.
Maintaining Property Standards
• Manages and controls heat, light and power.
• Maintains property life safety systems (e.g., fire fighting equipment, sprinkler systems, alarm systems).
• Ensures fire crew has complete understanding of all procedures, equipment and alarms.
• Communicates and ensures departmental and hotel emergency procedures are executed when necessary.
• Completes appropriate maintenance to life safety system.
Leading Engineering Teams
• Ensures that regular, on-going communication occurs in all areas of Engineering and Housekeeping.
• Identifies key drivers of business success and keeps team focused on the critical few to achieve results.
• Communicates critical information to Engineering and Housekeeping leadership teams.
• Communicates a clear and consistent message regarding departmental goals to produce desired results.
Managing Profitability and Above Property Stakeholder Relations
• Contacts contractors for bids, supervises construction to ensure timely completion of projects within budgetary guidelines.
• Makes recommendations for CAPEX funding of building projects and plant equipment and renovations in accordance with brand business strategy.
• Collaborates with owner's asset manager on decisions concerning capital improvements to the facility.
• Builds positive relationships with external customers (e.g., city building/zoning department, fire prevention bureau, vendors).
Ensuring Exceptional Customer Service
• Focuses on improving service performance.
• Sets expectations and holds Engineering and Housekeeping leadership teams accountable for demonstrating desired service behaviors.
• Empowers employees to provide excellent guest service.
Conducting Human Resources Activities
• Utilizes employee feedback and an "open door" policy to identify and address employee problems or concerns in a timely manner.
• Hires engineering and housekeeping management team members who demonstrate strong functional expertise, creativity and entrepreneurial leadership to meet the business needs of the operation.
• Ensures that regular on-going communication takes place throughout engineering and housekeeping operations to communicate daily operations activities, set expectations and create awareness of business objectives.
• Identifies opportunities to increase profits and create value by challenging existing processes, encouraging innovation and driving necessary change.
• Ensures employees are treated fairly and equitably.