Accelerate Orientation Trainee ( Professional Cookery)
Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 19177046
Job Category Administrative
Location Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Durban Umhlanga Ridge, 14 Palm Boulevard, Umhlanga Ridge, South Africa, South Africa VIEW ON MAP
Brand Protea Hotels
Position Type Non-Management/Hourly
Start Your Journey With Us
Accelerate is a youth development program in either hospitality management or professional cookery that spans over a period of 3 years. It is aimed at South African nationals; and is designed to successfully drive increased levels of engagement and interest into this ever-growing sector. The objective of Accelerate is to ensure that each individual receives development, both practical and formal academic, to serve as a foundation for their career in hospitality.
A requirement to apply for the Accelerate Program is a year of practical working experience in a hotel. If the individual completes the year of working experience with a hotel that forms part of Marriott, the individual is referred to as an Orientation Trainee. The purpose of the Orientation year is for the candidate to obtain realism of career choice and suitability for the industry; before applying and committing to the 3-year long program. Completing the Orientation year is not a guarantee that the candidate will be accepted onto the 3-year long program and candidates will be required to apply for 1st year intake towards the end of their Orientation year.
Here’s to exploring, kick starting your dream career and joining us on your journey!
During the Orientation year, Hospitality Management Trainees work in all the different departments of the hotel and Professional Cookery Trainees work in all the different sections that form part of, or contribute to, a hotel kitchen operation. This is to gain practical insight into hotel operations and to decide whether to apply for the 3-year long program.
Orientation Trainees are required to follow all company policies and procedures; ensure uniform and personal appearances are clean and professional; maintain confidentiality of proprietary information; protect company assets. Welcome and acknowledge all guests according to company standards; anticipate and address guests’ service needs; thank guests with genuine appreciation. Speak with others using clear and professional language; answer telephones using appropriate etiquette. Develop and maintain positive working relationships with others; listen and respond appropriately to the concerns of other employees. Comply with quality assurance expectations and standards. Read and visually verify information in a variety of formats; move, lift, carry, push, pull, and place objects weighing less than or equal to 5kg without assistance; stand, sit, or walk for an extended period of time. Perform other reasonable job duties as requested.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Must be a South African citizen by birth
- Must be between the ages of 18 and 22; and not turn older than 22 in the year being applied for
- Matric (Grade 12) certificate or equivalent accredited NQF or NCV Level 4 qualification
- Must have passed all 7 Matric (Grade 12) subjects; preferably each subject must be achieved at 50% and higher
- Candidates that do not meet the required Matric results will be reviewed on a case by case basis
- Only applicants that do not have any post Matric / NQF 4 / NCV 4 qualifications will be considered
DOCUMENTATION TO BE UPLOADED AS PART OF THE APPLICATION
- Identity document to verify age and nationality
- Matric Certificate and/or Statement or Results (if currently in Matric, please submit your September report card)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Cover letter outlining the reasons for wanting to apply
What else do we offer you?
- A professional environment to work in and the opportunity to learn from others in the hospitality industry;
- Being part of the biggest hotel company in the world and career possibilities within Marriott International;
- Personal coaching and training to support with your career development;
- A Take Care program; we focus on your wellbeing in general and organize several healthy and fun activities throughout the year
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Self-directed and able to work without supervision
- Team player – works well as an individual and with co-workers
- Energetic and eager to tackle new projects and ideas
- Highly self-started, motivated individual who thrives in a multi-tasking, fast paced environment
- Passionate about hospitality industry and the ability to make things brilliant
- Punctual and strong organizational skills
- Flexible in working different shifts, like: AM, PM and during the nights
- Good communication or social skills
WHAT TO EXPECT IF YOU APPLY FOR THE 3-YEAR PROGRAM AFTER COMPLETING ORIENTATION
Our 3-year long In-Service Trainee Program allows you to truly experience the industry from the ground up, where our founders and many of our leaders began. You will get immersed in Marriott’s culture and business and find your true calling in the travel industry. The program equips trainees with practical skills, theoretical knowledge and a broad understanding of the industry. You will learn first-hand about a hotel’s operations.
Trainees are placed with a new hotel that forms part of the Marriott group of hotels in South Africa each year. Trainees are transferred to gain the experience of working in different types of hotels (i.e. city centre, resort, country; different star-gradings; different managers to learn different management styles). The location at which a trainee may be placed is at the discretion of the program managers, although the personal circumstances of the trainee will be taken into consideration where possible. Trainees will spend a minimum of 1 year with a hotel before being transferred to a new hotel. Hotel transfers take place in January of each respective year and trainees are advised by the end of November where they have been placed for the following year.
Each year focusses on different aspects of the business, however discipline exposure may overlap:
- Hospitality Management: 1st year Food & Beverage related operations; 2nd year Rooms Division related operations; 3rd year Back of house & management related operations.
- Professional Cookery: 1st year Cold Food & related preparation; 2nd year Hot Food & related preparation; 3rd year All Food preparation functions & management operations.
The theoretical aspect of the industry is covered by study-release periods at Hotel or Culinary School, as well as attending a number of short courses and completing online eLearning programmes during each year. The trainees are also required to study and complete a portfolio of evidence in their own time. The costs of these are carried by the company.
Graduates are required to take up employment with the company for one year upon graduation and the company supports all graduates to acquire suitable full-time and permanent employment.