General Manager-Moxy Osaka Shin Umeda
Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 19149718
Job Category Property Leadership
Location Osaka Shin Umeda MOXY, One Marriott Drive, Osaka, Osaka-Fu, Japan VIEW ON MAP
Brand Moxy Hotels
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
Moxy Pickups, the hotels’ 24/7 self-service grab-and-go concept, offers refreshments throughout the day. Bar Moxy serves as a multi-space zone where guests check-in and out. The hotel also offers the quieter Library Zone or the Plug-in Area for travelers that need to catch up with work or report home with their adventures, and the 24/7 gym for those who want to keep up with their workout.
The hotel is expected to open in September 2020.
The Moxy Captain has a DEEP CONNECTION to the target guest and the brand’s core values – thoughtful, fun and spirited. He/She understands and resonates with what Moxy is all about. The Captain has the basics covered – metrics are met, money is counted, and reports are run – but focuses his/her energy on bringing the Moxy experience to life for every guest and every Crew Member. This role is responsible for setting up an environment where guests can serve themselves in a thoughtful, intuitive manner. This includes everything from check-in and greeting, to the vibe in The Now (lobby), the drinks served at the bar, Rockstar service delivery from Crew Members, the efficiency of check-out, and every step and interaction in between. The Captain is RESPONSIBLE FOR THE SOUL OF THE HOTEL and to do that he/she verifies that the sensory experience is as it should be, from music to lighting and scent. This role BUILDS RELATIONSHIPS in the community and brings exciting events to The Now. The Captain constructs a property atmosphere so guests feel like they are seamlessly moving through the hotel rather than just checking in and out. He/she drives revenue through a distinctive approach to beverage and food offering and promotion. He/She uses their passion for the brand, their personality, and their ability to draw a crowd of loyal followers to create unique guest experiences in a vibrant environment. Captains are up and on their feet for most of the day, mingling, and creating a BUZZY ATMOSPHERE in the hotel, while maintaining a smooth operation behind the scenes to validate that the business is in order. Oh, and guess what? All of the Captain’s drive and know-how ultimately produces a hotel that is as profitable as it is fun – because that is what Moxy is all about.
The ideal candidate for this role would have previous work experience in Japan as a General Manager or Hotel Manager. In addition to local experience, it will be looked upon favorably if the candidate has previous pre-opening and lifestyle brand experience. The successful candidate will have proven experience leading hotel operations and demonstrated strong sales & marketing leadership, food & beverage flair and strong financial acumen.
Education and Experience
• 2-year degree from an accredited university in Business Administration, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major; 4 years’ experience in the guest services, front desk, housekeeping, sales and marketing, management operations, or related professional area.
• 4-year bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major; 2 years’ experience in the guest services, front desk, housekeeping, sales and marketing, management operations, or related professional area.
JOB SPECIFIC TASKS
Managing Moxy Operations and Department Budgets
• Verifies that brand-specific service programs are in place and executed against.
• Provides timely feedback to management and hourly associates on service and operational standards, including feedback on even the smallest service and operational details.
• Manages the flow of labor between departments to achieve profitability goals and stay within staff budget guidelines.
• Creates and supports clear lines of responsibility, including coverage and oversight throughout the day.
• Helps hotel team prepare for QA audits (i.e., daily and pre-visit activities).
• Reviews and follows-up on property Guest Voice scores and other social media travel site (e.g., Trip Advisor) comments.
• Acts as a project manager for the execution of capital improvements (e.g., renovations, reinventions, refreshes, signage, etc.).
• Keeps a visible presence all around the property to verify that public spaces, grounds, work and kitchen areas are clean and safe.
• Manages the implementation of major brand standards.
• Delegates responsibilities for operations and projects to appropriate associate.
Managing Beverage and Food Operations
• Monitors beverage and food forecasting and par levels to reduce waste and maximize profitability.
• Establishes and leverages local vendor relationships that align with the brand’s positioning and support beverage and food operational needs.
• Verifies that bar, kitchen, and self-serve retail areas are well organized and inventoried, productive, clean, and safety
• Conducts periodic compliance audits with Heart of House associates to verify that they use job aids (HA checklist open and close, production charts, freezer pull check, Inventory ordering checklist, temp logs, mapping/zoning fridge, org of space, etc.)
• Provides coaching on operations and troubleshooting of Micros and other technology components within property common areas.
Managing and Sustaining Sales and Marketing Strategy
• Manages relationships with decision makers at top accounts.
• Engages in-house guests and locals to prospect for new sources of business.
• Collaborates with Area/Regional Marketing & eCommerce Managers to develop and/or sustain marketing and eCommerce strategies for the hotel.
• Identifies opportunity for local partnerships and promotions to drive non-hotel staying business to property
• Identifies and champions creative local marketing solutions that fit the brand and property needs.
• Coaches and reinforces selling strategies that take advantage of property features.
• Develops innovative means for capturing new streams of revenue through property amenities.
• Initiates appropriate proactive independent sales and public relations activities to build awareness and generate demand.
• Leverages brand-wide social media and other digital channels to promote the hotel, programming and other property features.
• Works with the Regional Sales office (RSO) to implement sales strategy for the property (e.g., goal setting, setting rates, etc.).
• Works with Market Sales to establish property sales strategy, goals, and action plans.
• Participates in the property sales review (PSR).
• Verifies that direct sales staff fully utilizes e-tools (e.g., e-proposals, e-mail signatures), as appropriate.
• Identifies key revenue generating stakeholders and customers and communicates information to sales offices.
• Verifies that all national and regional marketing programs (e.g., HSIA, etc.) are executed well in relevant departments.
• Participates in and hosts customer recognition events to drive brand awareness and sales
• Understands and leverages sales and marketing advantages over competitor properties within market.
• Monitors sales strategy with RSO to maintain ongoing effectiveness and compliance.
Managing and Conducting Human Resource activities
• Champions the Moxy brand’s service vision for product and service delivery.
• Facilitates on property activities that reinforce and enliven the Moxy culture with associates.
• Actively recruits and hires qualified associates from in and outside the hospitality industry.
• Understands performance expectations.
• Builds rapport with employees by fostering an environment of open communication and treating all employees fairly.
• Facilitates cross training to support associate professional growth and operational excellence.
• Drives ongoing development of managers (e.g., one on one coaching, providing stretch assignments, etc.).
• Conducts performance review process for associates (LPP forms, career plan form, development plans, mid-year review, 90-day reviews, etc.).
• Supports recruitment efforts in brand-relevant sourcing channels (e.g., local job fairs, social media, referrals) to target associates with skill sets for the brand (e.g., beverage and food, lifestyle retail experience, etc.).
• Conducts day to day Human Resource transactions to support needs of the property (e.g., compensation actions, initiation and approval of hiring requisitions, movement of subordinates through phases of performance management cycle).
• Manages on-property controllable costs associated with rooms, housekeeping, events, and beverage and food operations.
• Measures, analyzes, and communicates property performance using a variety of financial and non-financial reports
• Updates and communicates profit forecasts to associates/managers
• Initiates action to achieve property revenue and profitability goals.
• Understands how beverage and food product variability can affect profitability and works with management team to maximize revenue generation when product changes.
• Reviews and signs off on invoices.
• Reviews Property Distribution Summary (OnDemand) and Purchase Detail Reports; identify, research, and resolve balance issues.
• Consolidates reports needed for period-end review (e.g., P&L, Accounting Scorecard, Banking Report and Statistics, PACE, credit card fraud report).
• Reviews property performance on period basis with Region leadership.
• Verifies compliance with Avendra.
Maintaining Revenue Management Goals
• Manages the relationship with the revenue management office (e.g., participate in routine calls, strategy meetings, update meetings, etc.).
• Reviews and works with appropriate revenue management reports (e.g., Demand Eye Chart, Benchmark Pricing Evaluator, Rate/Value Matrix, Smith Travel Research (STR) reports, etc.).
• Balances inventory to drive same-day sellouts.
Works with property teams to meet or exceed revenue projections.
Managing Relationships with Property Stakeholders (e.g., Owner and Above Property)
• Keeps brand leadership team, owners, and above property stakeholders in the know with property financial, guest satisfaction, and associate engagement performance
• Prepares and presents reports for owners and above property leadership using financial/performance data
• Conducts property critiques and annual business reviews.
• Participates in ad hoc owner conference calls and respond appropriately to owner requests.
• Responds to off-property (e.g., regional and owner) requests for sales information (e.g., Market Outlook, STR Report critique, etc.).
• Manages e-mail.
• Manages daily paper mail.
• Participates in conference calls (e.g., sales, promotion, Q&A, property performance, etc.).
• Provides follow-up information to Area/Regional leadership and brand team(s).
• Prepares for Area/Regional Team visits (e.g., pulling and consolidating relevant reports).