Conference & Banqueting Supervisor
Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 19120413
Job Category Food and Beverage & Culinary
Location Edinburgh Marriott Hotel, 111 Glasgow Road, Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom VIEW ON MAP
Brand Marriott Hotels Resorts /JW Marriott
Position Type Non-Management/Hourly
Start Your Journey With Us
Safety and Security
Follow company and department safety and security policies and procedures to maintain a clean, safe, and secure environment.
Report work related accidents, or other injuries immediately upon occurrence to manager/supervisor.
Use proper equipment, wear appropriate personal protective clothing (PPE), and employ correct lifting procedures, as necessary, to avoid injury.
Policies and Procedures
Follow company and department policies and procedures.
Verify that uniform, nametags, and personal appearance are clean, hygienic, professional and in compliance with company policies and procedures.
Protect the privacy and security of guests and coworkers.
Maintain confidentiality of proprietary materials and information.
Protect company tools, equipment, machines, or other assets in accordance with company policies and procedures.
Welcome and acknowledge each and every guest with a smile, eye contact, and a friendly verbal greeting, using the guest's name when possible.
Actively listen and respond positively to guest questions, concerns, and requests using brand or property specific process (e.g., LEARN, PLEASED, Guest Response, LEAP) to resolve issues, delight, and build trust.
Anticipate guests' service needs, including asking questions of guests to better understand their needs and watching/listening to guest preferences and acting on them whenever possible.
Address guests' service needs in a professional, positive, and timely manner.
Assist other employees to ensure proper coverage and prompt guest service.
Thank guests with genuine appreciation and provide a fond farewell.
Engage guests in conversation regarding their stay, property services, and area attractions/offerings.
Provide assistance to individuals with disabilities, including assisting visually, hearing, or physically-impaired individuals within guidelines (e.g., escorting them when requested, using words to explain actions, writing directions on paper, moving objects out of the way, or offering access to Braille or TDD phones).
Speak to guests and co-workers using clear, appropriate and professional language.
Talk with and listen to other employees to effectively exchange information.
Provide assistance to coworkers, ensuring they understand their tasks.
Discuss work topics, activities, or problems with coworkers, supervisors, or managers discreetly and quietly, avoiding public areas of the property.
Prepare and review written documents (e.g., daily logs, business letters, memoranda, reports), including proofreading and editing written information to ensure accuracy and completeness.
Answer telephones using appropriate etiquette including answering the phone within 3 rings, answering with a smile in one's voice, using the callers' name, transferring calls to appropriate person/department, requesting permission before placing the caller on hold, taking and relaying messages, and allowing the caller to end the call.
- Ensure that hourly employees are trained on company core values, job roles, responsibilities, and technical and service aspects of the job.
- Listen to hourly employees' suggestions for improving how work is done and how guests are served, gaining management support as needed to act upon suggestions
- Serve as hourly employees' first point of contact as part of the Guarantee of Fair Treatment/Open Door Policy process.
Coordinate tasks and work with other departments to ensure that the department runs efficiently.
Collaborate with management to develop and carry-out ideas and procedures, and set goals to continuously improve department performance around guest and employee satisfaction scores.
Encourage and motivate employees to perform their best, take responsibility for tasks and assignments, make decisions and provide input on possible improvements.
Assign and ensure work tasks are completed on time and that they meet appropriate quality standards.
Coach and develop employees (e.g., create expectations for continual improvement, provide challenging tasks and assignments, hold development discussions, and construct and execute development plans).
Assist management in preparing and conducting performance reviews of hourly employees.
Collaborate with management to formally recognize hourly employees' performance contributions.
Assist management in counseling hourly employees on work related concerns and issues to ensure satisfaction and productivity.
Serve as a departmental role model or mentor by working alongside employees to perform technical or functional job duties. Assist management in establishing and communicating goals, performance expectations, timetables and deadlines for shift or departmental operations to hourly employees and ensure that they are understood
Assist management to ensure that hourly employees have the necessary resources to effectively perform their jobs (e.g., supplies, equipment, and inventory).
Ensure employee compliance with company standards and policies and external regulations (e.g., safety, OSHA, department-specific procedures such as food standards).
Working with Others
Develop and maintain positive and productive working relationships with other employees and departments.
- Partner with and assist others to promote an environment of teamwork and achieve common goals.
- Support all co-workers and treat them with dignity and respect. Handle sensitive issues with employees and/or guests with tact, respect, diplomacy, and confidentiality. Actively listen to and consider the concerns of other employees, responding appropriately and effectively.
Quality Assurance/Quality Improvement
- Comply with quality assurance expectations and standards. Monitor the performance of others to ensure adherence to quality expectations and standards.
- Visually inspect tools, equipment, or machines (e.g., to identify defects).
- Move, lift, carry, push, pull, and place objects weighing less than 50 pounds without assistance.
- Transmit information or documents using a computer
- Enter and retrieve information contained in computer databases using a keyboard, mouse, or trackball to update records, files, reservation and answer inquiries from guests.
- Answer guest questions regarding property services/features and hours of operation.
- Prepare weekly departmental payroll paperwork, ensuring employees are paid accurately and on-time.
Event and Sales Coordination
- Communicate to and instruct staff (e.g., Housekeeping, Food & Beverage) on how to set up event rooms to client specifications
- Oversee all on-site details for executing group events (e.g., set-up, food, timing) by developing and following a checklist or itinerary and troubleshooting problems that occur during the event.
- Serve as the liaison and main contact person for coordinating details of events with outside vendors, meeting planners, Food & Beverage, Front Desk, Reservation Sales, Audio Visual, and others involved in events.
- Design and confirm room layouts and set-up requirements for special events with clients.