Multi Property Director of Sales & Marketing
Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 19096755
Job Category Sales and Marketing
Location The Westin Excelsior, Rome, Via Vittorio Veneto 125, Rome, Roma, Italy VIEW ON MAP
Brand Westin Hotels & Resorts
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
Multi Property Director of Sales & Marketing
The Westin Excelsior Rome & St Regis Rome
Sales & Marketing
Property General Managers / Dotted line ADS&D and ADOM
The Cluster Director of Sales & Marketing is responsible for setting direction and strategy in areas of business generation & capturing of the Event Booking Center, ARSO and e-commerce. Integrating property strategy with Market strategy. Leads teams to achieve assigned revenue goals. Develops and manages all stakeholder relationships, both internal and external, for assigned EBC, ARSO and e-Commerce organization. Selects, manages and proactively develops the EBC, ARSO and e-Commerce team(s). Manages sales associates who may be in multiple and/or remote working locations. Assists property sales leaders by providing overall market strategy and day-to-day sales leadership for the EBC, ARSO and e-Commerce department.
Describe in bullet format, the operational challenges and business issues that the individual in the position will face now and/or in the future. These challenges could include increasing competition, declining market share, poor financial performance, low associate satisfaction, union activity, property renovation and owner relations.
· Varies by size and complexity of properties
Skills and Knowledge
· Excellent selling skills and understanding of sales processes; can effectively upsell products and services; can bring a sale to closure
· Strong customer development and relationship management skills
· Ability to set accurate revenue/booking goals for different properties
· Knowledge of marketing strategies
· Ability to develop and implement successful sales strategies for multiple properties
· Knowledge of all Marriott Lodging products, culture and brand strategies
· Knowledge of contractual agreements and legal implications
· Strategic planning skills
· Possesses excellent telephone sales skills
· Ability to set accurate revenue/booking goals per shared service discipline
· Knowledge of group, catering, contract and transient business
· Ability to develop and implement successful sales strategies for shared services
· Ability to interpret market data and apply to sales strategy
· Knowledge of operations and associated challenges for all brands
· Knowledge of food trends, food and beverage composition and menu planning
· Knowledge of need time strategy as developed by Revenue Management
· Understands revenue management functions and account profitability
· Financial management skills e.g., ability to analyze P&L statements, develop operating budgets, forecasting and capital expenditure planning
· Strong communication skills (verbal, listening, writing)
· Strong presentation and platform skills
· Effective decision making skills
· Ability to influence others
· Effective coaching and development skills
· Strong organization skills
· Ability to evaluate business trends and modify business strategies accordingly
· Ability to execute against the strategy; drive results
· Strong problem-solving skills
· Strong consensus building skills
· Strong analytical skills
· Good negotiation skills
· Effective conflict management skills
· Effective change management skills
· Strong customer and associate relation skills
· Ability to develop and maintain relationships e.g., stakeholders, associates and customers
· Basic legal knowledge related to hotel operations
· Good training/facilitator skills
· Ability to effectively manage labor productivity
· Understanding of competitive market
· Ability to use standard software applications and hotel systems including Opera, e-Proposal, Marsha, SFA, NGS, Delphi, etc.
Education or Certification
· High school diploma or equivalent required; Bachelor’s Degree in Hospitality Management preferred
· As per career band for the position
Balanced Scorecard Results: Execute strategies and activities to drive financial results, guest satisfaction, human capital index and market share.
· Sales and Marketing Management: Focuses on building each unit’s top line revenue by executing the direction and strategy of each participating hotel for business generation for the Event Booking Center, ARSO and e-Commerce in the market.
· Revenue Management: Works with Revenue Management to ensure proper pricing, appropriate transient and group mix and implementation of sales strategy. Addresses market fluctuations and economic conditions by partnering with Revenue Management and the on property DOSM to change sales strategy as appropriate for each hotel.
· Guest Satisfaction: Ensures market sales process meets or exceeds guest needs. Identifies and addresses Guest Satisfaction issues to improve results, create customer loyalty and increase market share.
· Human Resources: Selects, develops and retains a diverse shared service hourly and management workforce to generate revenue and provide sales expertise to the properties. Creates and sustains a work environment that focuses on fair and equitable treatment and associate satisfaction to enable business success.
· Financial Management: Develops and manages each hotel’s shared service Sales and Marketing annual operating budget to achieve or exceed budgeted revenue expectations. Ensures successful performance by increasing revenues, controlling expenses and providing a return on investment for the owner and Marriott International.
· Owner Relations: Participates jointly with on property DOSM to develop a trusting and respectful business partnership with each property’s ownership by meeting or exceeding expectations in sales and marketing.
The following are specific responsibilities and contributions critical to the successful performance of the position:
· Communicates direction of EBC, ARSO and e-Commerce organization to team and hotels.
· Proactively develops and manages relationships with key market stakeholders, internal and external, to ensure ongoing support for all sales efforts and teams.
· Proactively manages impact of changes in stakeholder support or participation in EBC, ARSO and e-Commerce team(s).
· Works with the on property sales teams to determine best accounts to deploy against.
· Manages and directs EBC, ARSO and e-Commerce leaders in execution of sales strategy to achieve assigned sales goals for individual properties. Sales focus includes reactive sales, reservation sales, local and social catering sales.
· Evaluates hotel participation in shared services and monitors performance.
· Has overall responsibility for managing the EBC, ARSO and e-Commerce organizations in market. Monitors overall performance, monitors and manages leakage.
· Partners with on property Marketing Communications to determine marketing and promotion needs.
· Is a liaison between hotels and shared service teams. Focuses on two-way communication to ensure property revenue goals are attained.
· Represents all brands of Marriott Lodging when meeting with key sales account contacts.
· Take responsibility for the delivery and execution of the annual Marketing Planning process for each hotel and follow-up on the required budgetary guidelines.
· Researches competitors marketing strategies to identify ways to grow occupancy and RevPAR and increase market share.
· Collect and analyze competitive intelligence (e.g., marketing programs/campaigns) to assist in the enhancement and development of current and future marketing strategy.
· Serves as the marketing contact for the General Manager, property leadership team and Area Director of Marketing.
· Serves as the destination marketing liaison with Area Marketing, Area Sales, Revenue Management, Event Management, Digital Marketing, PR and other hotel departments as appropriate.
· Coordinate with complex marketing managers and other disciplines programs on new initiatives to increase production in channels.
· Negotiate contracts and work with vendors. Managing Relationships External to Marketing Discuss action plans with the sales department to ensure that vendor partnerships will help drive sales.
· Develop strategies and incentive programs to meet or exceed budgeted numbers. Identify trends when production is not meeting budget expectations and implement solutions.
· Manages the marketing budget to enable development of property specific campaigns, promotions and collateral to drive revenue and meet property objectives.
· Supports the General Manager and PR by coordinating crisis communications.
· Attract local scenes and establish global awareness for each hotel and brand from partners, press and guests.
· Together with the Public Relations Manager, liaise with Public Relations Agencies to ensure effective communication is maintained in line with marketing strategy.
· Ensure the Social Media strategy of each hotel is based on each hotel’s positioning and brand.
· Continuously look out for PR activities and PR opportunities to gain significant exposure.
· Lead specific Continent and Global Marketing projects for each hotel and destination.
· Ensure full compliance with all Marriott’s Marketing standards & programs.
· Create conceptual strategies through key partnership and brand initiatives to support each hotel business needs.
· Coordinate the implementation of all brand programs including special events and promotional opportunities at property level.
· Act as marketing channel for information regarding the property’s specific need periods and coordinate information regarding the property’s seasonality and opportunities.
· Executes exemplary customer service to drive customer satisfaction and loyalty by assisting the customer and monitoring their satisfaction before and during their program/event.
· In partnership with Revenue Management and on property DOSM to develop business sales strategy to achieve individual stakeholder sales goals for shared services.
· Ensures that shared service sales strategies are communicated, implemented and updated as market conditions fluctuate.
· Partners with Revenue Management and on property DOSM for annual pricing process, request for pricing (RFPs) and development of marketing business plan.
· Monitors local, regional and national business outlook and consults with Revenue Management and on property DOSM on strategy.
· Reviews group and catering guest satisfaction results to identify areas of improvement. Takes ownership of results and reviews findings with EBC teams to develop appropriate corrective action.
· Incorporates guest satisfaction as a component of departmental meetings with a focus on continuous improvement.
· Establishes clear expectations for customers and properties throughout the sales process.
· Effectively resolves guest issues that arise as a result of the shared service sales process. Brings issues to the attention of property leadership team as appropriate.
· Transfers accurate, complete and timely information to operating departments at the properties.
· Selects shared service staff with the appropriate skills in a timely manner to meet the business needs of the properties.
· Administers sales bonus and incentive programs when appropriate.
· Ensures participation in community service events sponsored by Marriott International to build teamwork and enhance community relationships (e.g., Community Clean-up Day, visits to senior citizens homes, homeless shelters).
· Interviews and hires shared service management and hourly associates with the appropriate skills to meet the business needs of the operation.
· Develops, implements and maintains a departmental orientation program for associates to receive the appropriate new hire training to successfully perform their job.
· Uses all available on the job training tools for associates; implements and manages training initiatives and conducts training when appropriate; ensures self and direct report managers attend appropriate core training classes.
· Communicates performance expectations in accordance with job descriptions for each position and monitors progress.
· Conducts shared service hourly associate performance appraisals according to Standard Operating Procedures.
· Administers the performance appraisal process for shared service direct report managers. Develops business goals and creates appropriate development plans. Assists associates based on their individual strengths, development needs, career aspirations and abilities.
· Establishes and maintains open, collaborative relationships with associates and ensures associates do the same within the team.
· Actively solicits associate feedback, utilizes an “open door” policy and reviews associate satisfaction results to identify and address associate problems or concerns. Ensures associates are treated fairly and equitably. Constantly strives to improve associate retention. Brings issues to the attention of Human Resources as necessary.
· Manages associate progressive discipline procedures for areas of responsibility. Ensures hotel policies are administered fairly and consistently. Ensures disciplinary procedures and documentation are completed according to Standard and Local Operating Procedures (SOPs and LSOPs).
· Ensures regular on-going communication is happening in all areas of responsibility to create awareness of business objectives and communicate expectations, recognize performance and produce desired business results.
· Celebrates successes and publicly recognizes the contributions of team members; ensures recognition is taking place across areas of responsibility. Maintains an ongoing associate recognition program.
· Manages and develops operating budget for shared services.
· Reviews and manages controllable expenses for shared service teams.
· Oversees labor scheduling and corresponding expenses for wages, bonuses and benefits.
· Responsible for period end reporting.
· Supports on property DOSM, as needed, in owner meetings, acts as expert regarding shared service sales strategy and direction. Reviews shared service sales and marketing results and openly communicates sales challenges and successes.
· Proactively addresses potential areas of concern and proposes solutions to owners.
· Performs other duties as assigned to meet business needs.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.