Franchised Director of Front Office
Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 19001EIE
Job Category Rooms and Guest Services Operations
Location The Westin Carlsbad Resort & Spa, 5480 Grand Pacific Drive, Carlsbad, California, United States VIEW ON MAP
Brand Westin Hotels & Resorts
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
Thank you for your interest in this position. It is a job opportunity with one of Marriott International’s franchisees.
Please apply online at https://www.thewestincarlsbad.com/jobs-and-careers
Additional Information: This hotel is owned and operated by an independent franchisee, Azul Hospitality Group. The franchisee controls all aspects of the hotel’s employment policies and practices, including the selection and hiring process. If you accept a position at this hotel you will be employed by a franchisee and not by Marriott International.
Responsible for all front office functions and staff at The Westin Carlsbad Resort & Spa and Sheraton Carlsbad Resort & Spa. Areas of responsibility include Bell & Valet Staff, PBX/Yes Center Operations, Guest Services/Front Desk, Retail/Gift Shop, Corporate Lounge, and Activities, as applicable. As a department head, directs and works with managers and employees to successfully execute all front office operations, including guest arrival and departure procedures. Works to establish a safe and secure environment for all guests and associates. Strives to continually improve guest and employee satisfaction and maximize the financial performance of the department.
Leading Front Desk and Guest Services Teams
- Utilizes interpersonal and communication skills to lead, influence, and encourage others; advocates sound financial/business decision making; demonstrates honesty/integrity; leads by example.
- Encourages and builds mutual trust, respect, and cooperation among team members.
- Serves as a role model to demonstrate appropriate behaviors.
- Supervises and manages employees. Manages all day-to-day operations. Understands employee positions well enough to perform duties in employees' absence.
- Establishes and maintains open, collaborative relationships with employees and ensures employees do the same within the team.
- Ensures recognition of employees is taking place across areas of responsibility.
- Communicates performance expectations in accordance with job descriptions for each position and monitors progress.
- Celebrates successes and publicly recognizes the contributions of team members.
Managing Guest Services and Front Desk Teams
- Achieves and exceeds goals including performance goals, budget goals, team goals, etc.
- Manages day-to-day operations, ensuring the quality, standards and meeting the expectations of the customers on a daily basis.
- Develops specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish work.
- Keeps Front Office team focused on the critical components of operations to drive guest satisfaction and the desired financial results.
- Conducts department meetings and continually communicates a clear and consistent message regarding department goals to produce desired results.
- Supervises and coordinates all activities for luggage attendants, garage valets, door attendants, and concierge.
- Reviews staffing levels to ensure that guest service, operational needs and financial objectives are met.
- Understands the impact of Front Office operations on the Rooms area and overall property financial goals.
- Manages department controllable expenses to achieve or exceed budgeted goals.
- Provide recommendations and reports for capital expenditures, repairs and maintenance programs for all front office areas.
- Handle guest complaints and verify that all guest issues are resolved.
- Verifies compliance with all Front Office policies, standards and procedures.
- Verifies property policies are administered fairly and consistently, disciplinary procedures and documentation are completed according to Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Providing Exceptional Customer Service
- Provides services that are above and beyond for customer satisfaction and retention.
- Coordinates activities with other hotel departments in order to facilitate increased levels of communication and guest satisfaction.
- Improves service by communicating and assisting individuals to understand guest needs, providing guidance, feedback, and individual coaching when needed.
- Supervises and managing employees. Managing all day-to-day operations. Understanding employee positions well enough to perform duties in employees' absence.
- Acts as the Service Champion for the Front Office and creates a positive atmosphere for guest relations.
- Displays leadership in guest hospitality, exemplifies excellent customer service, and creates a positive atmosphere for guest relations.
- Strives to improve service performance.
- Empowers employees to provide excellent customer service.
- Verifies that all Front Office areas have an atmosphere that is conducive to the overall guest experience.
- Reviews comment cards, guest satisfaction results and other data to identify areas of improvement.
- Responds to and handles guest problems and complaints.
- Observes service behaviors of employees and provides feedback to individuals and/or managers.
Managing and Conducting Human Resource Activities
- Identifies the developmental needs of others and coaching, mentoring, or otherwise helping others to improve their knowledge or skills.
- Provides guidance and direction to subordinates, including setting performance standards and monitoring performance.
- Establishes challenging, realistic and obtainable goals to guide operation and performance.
- Solicits employee feedback, utilizes an open door policy, and reviews employee satisfaction results to identify and address employee problems or concerns.
- Verifies employees are treated fairly and equitably.
- Manages employee progressive discipline procedures for Front Office Staff.
- Administers the performance appraisal process for direct report managers.
- Interviews and hires managers and hourly employee team members with the appropriate skills and in a timely manner to meet the business needs of the operation.
Specific Job Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Must be able to speak, read, write and understand the primary language(s) used in the workplace.
- Must be able to read and write to facilitate the communication process.
- Requires good communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Extensive knowledge of the hotel, its services and facilities.
- Must have excellent customer relations skills and leadership capability.
- Must be detail oriented with outstanding organizational and communication skills.
- Must possess basic computational ability.
- Must possess basic computer skills.
- Must have excellent leadership capability and customer relations skills.
- Working knowledge of federal, state and local laws governing equal employment opportunity and civil rights, occupational safety and health, wage and hour issues, and labor relations, including, but not limited to the following statutes and their comparable state and local laws (where applicable): Title VII, ADEA, Equal Pay Act, Pregnancy Discrimination Act, FLSA, ADA, OSHA, FMLA, and NLRA.
Qualifications Standards :
Education & Experience
- High school diploma or GED; 6 years experience in the guest services, front desk, or related professional area, OR
- 2-year degree from an accredited university in Hotel and Restaurant Management, Hospitality, Business Administration or related major; 4 years experience in the guest services, front desk, or related professional area.
- Previous Sheraton and/or Westin experience is highly desirable.
- Previous experience with Lightspeed Preferred.
- Knowledgeable of our Bonvoy Marriott program preferred.
This company is an equal opportunity employer.