Executive Pastry Chef
Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 19000SAM
Job Category Food and Beverage & Culinary
Location The Ritz-Carlton, Almaty, Almaty, Kazakhstan VIEW ON MAP
Brand The Ritz-Carlton
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
- 3 years in Luxury Hotels as Pastry Chef experience;
- English language (Russian will be plus)
- Chocolate knowledge
- Banquet experience
- Fine dining restaurant experience
- Ability to perform job functions with attention to detail, speed and accuracy
- Ability to prioritize, organizes, delegate work and follow through.
- Ability to think clearly, remain calm and resolve problems using good judgment.
- Ability to work well under pressure of meeting production schedules and timelines for guests orders.
- Ability to maintain good coordination
- Ability to work with all products and food ingredients involved.
- Ability to operate, clean and maintain all equipment required in job functions.
- Ability to supervise, train and direct employees; give correction when needed
- Ability to plan and produce pastry displays and desserts
- Ability to comprehend and follow recipes
- Ability to expand and condense recipes
- Ability to produce created and artistic desserts
- Ability to perform job functions with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work cohesively with coworkers as part of a team
- Ability to motivate staff and maintain a cohesive team.
Responsible for all baked items, sweet desserts, frozen desserts, show pieces
and competition pieces and special amenities served within the hotel property.
The chef should provide input for creativity menu ideas for banquet items and
the new desserts for the outlets. The chef provides the method for preparing all
production items in a time efficient and cost effective manner.
- Maintain complete knowledge of correct maintenance and use of equipment and tools
- Maintain and strictly abide by state sanitation/health regulations and requirements.
- Maintain complete knowledge of and comply with all departmental/hotel policies and procedures.
- Meet with Executive Chef/ Executive Sous Chef to review assignments, anticipate business levels, changes and other information pertinent to the job performance.
- Ensure that assigned staff has reported to work; document any late or absent employees.
- Coordinate breaks for assigned staff.
- Communicate additions or changes to the assignments as they arise throughout the shift. Identify situations which compromise the department’s standards and delegate these tasks.
- Inspect the cleanliness and organization of the pastry shop; rectify any deficiencies.
- Prepare amenity orders for Room Service in accordance with specified requirements and hotel standards.
- Prepare all dishes following recipes and yield guides, according to department standards
- Inform purchasing of any shortages before the item runs out.
- Monitor performance of assigned staff and ensure all procedures are completed to the department standards; rectify deficiencies with respective personnel.
- Communicate any assistance needed during busy periods to the Sous Chef to ensure optimum service to guests.
- Maintain production charts according to departmental standards
- Maintain proper storage procedures as specified by Health Department and hotel requirements.
- Minimize waste and maintain controls to attain forecasted food cost.
Responsible for reviewing daily banquet functions and special outlet activities, making all updates, changes and assignments to personnel.
Accountable for overall success of the daily pastry operations. Exhibits creative baking and decorating talents by personally performing tasks while leading the staff in preparing quality and consistent pastries for all areas. Works to continually improve guest and employee satisfaction while maintaining the operating budget. Supervises all pastry areas to ensure a consistent, high quality product is produced. Responsible for guiding and developing staff including direct reports. Must ensure sanitation and food standards are achieved. Areas of responsibility comprise overseeing all pastry food preparation areas.
Education and Experience
• High school diploma or GED; 4 years experience in culinary, food and beverage, or related professional area.
• 2-year degree from an accredited university in Culinary Arts, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major; 2 years experience in culinary, food and beverage, or related professional area.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Leading the Discipline Teams
• Supervises and manages employees; understands employee positions well enough to perform duties in employees' absence.
• Supervises and coordinates activities of cooks and workers engaged in pastry preparation.
• Utilizes interpersonal and communication skills to lead, influence, and encourage others; advocates sound financial/business decision making; demonstrates honesty/integrity; leads by example.
• Encourages and builds mutual trust, respect, and cooperation among team members.
• Serves as a role model to demonstrate appropriate behaviors.
• Ensures and maintains the productivity level of employees.
• Supervises pastry preparation shift operations.
• Communicates performance expectations in accordance with job descriptions for each position.
• Establishes and maintains open, collaborative relationships with employees and ensures employees do the same within the team.
• Ensures that regular on-going communication occurs with employees to create awareness of business objectives and communicate expectations, recognize performance and produce desired results.
• Leads shifts while personally preparing food items and executing requests based on required specifications.
• Represents the property in media events as needed.
• Facilitates pastry classes for customers and the community.
Ensuring Culinary Standards and Responsibilities are Met
• Develops, designs, or creates new ideas and items for pastry kitchen.
• Follows proper handling and right temperature of all food products.
• Maintains food preparation handling and correct storage standards.
• Recognizes superior quality products, presentations and flavor.
• Ensures employees maintain required food handling and sanitation certifications.
• Ensures compliance with all applicable laws and regulations regulations.
• Assists the Executive Chef with menu development associated with pastry.
• Operates and maintains all department equipment and reports malfunctions.
• Prepares and cooks foods of all types, either on a regular basis or for special guests or functions.
• Assists in determining how food should be presented and creates decorative food displays.
Ensuring Exceptional Customer Service
• Monitors and provides service behaviors that are above and beyond for customer satisfaction.
• Manages day-to-day operations, ensuring the quality, standards and meeting the expectations of the customers on a daily basis.
• Supports service by communicating and assisting employees to understand guest needs, providing guidance, feedback, and individual coaching when needed.
• Sets a positive example for guest relations.
• Empowers employees to provide excellent customer service.
• Responds to and handles guest problems and complaints.
• Interacts with guests to obtain feedback on product quality and service levels.
• Emphasizes guest satisfaction during all departmental meetings and focuses on continuous improvement.
Maintaining Culinary Goals
• Sets and supports achievement of culinary goals associated with pastry products including performance goals, budget goals, team goals, etc.
• Provides specific guidance to prioritize, organize, and accomplish daily pastry operations work.
• Supports procedures for food and beverage portion and waste controls.
• Purchases appropriate supplies and manage inventories according to budget.
• Trains employees in safety procedures.
Managing and Conducting Human Resource Activities
• Identifies the developmental needs of others and coaching, mentoring, or otherwise helping others to improve their knowledge or skills.
• Participates in training staff on menu items including ingredients, preparation methods and unique tastes.
• Ensures property policies are administered fairly and consistently.
• Ensures disciplinary procedures and documentation are completed according to Standard and Local Operating Procedures (SOPs and LSOPs) and support the Peer Review Process.
• Reviews staffing levels to ensure that guest service, operational needs and financial objectives are met.
• Uses all available on the job training tools for employees.
• Solicits employee feedback, utilizes an "open door" policy and reviews employee satisfaction results to identify and address employee problems or concerns.
• Provides information to supervisors, co-workers, and subordinates by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person.
• Analyzes information and evaluating results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
• Attends and participates in all pertinent meetings.