Marketing & Communications Manager
Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 19000KEN
Job Category Sales and Marketing
Location W Melbourne, 435 Collins Street, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia VIEW ON MAP
Brand W Hotels
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
Boldly coloring outside the lines of luxury, W turns the traditional notion of the extravagant hotel on its head. Our irreverent attitude and taste for excess redefine revelry for the modern jet set. Our guests have a lust for a life less ordinary that drives them to demand more, experience it all, and hit repeat.
We share our guests’ passions, providing insider access to what’s new and what’s next. Moderation is not in our vocabulary and we know that lust for life demands more, not less. W guests soak it in and live each day with a mantra: Detox. Retox. Repeat. If you’re ready to create the energetic W scene that is magnetic to everyday disruptors around the world, then we invite you to explore a career with W Hotels.
This will mark our second W hotel in Australia, following the W Brisbane opening earlier this year. The W Melbourne is in the heart of Melbourne’s Western CBD precinct, an exciting mixed-use neighborhood central to significant business activity in the city.
The Hotel’s location is ideal for attracting business, with pedestrian links to Southbank and the rapidly developing Docklands precinct. The W Melbourne is easily accessible with the new Super Tram stop immediately adjacent to the hotel on Collins Street and within walking distance to Flinders Street and Southern Cross train stations.
The W Melbourne is within close proximity to several of Melbourne’s top demand drivers and attractions including Federation Square, Etihad Stadium, Southbank entertainment promenade and Crown Entertainment Complex. The surrounding area provides corporate, retail and restaurant use and a host of residential apartments.
The W Melbourne will be well positioned to capture both corporate and leisure travelers to Melbourne. The hotel will have 294 Keys, 3 Food and Beverage venues and 1,237 (SM) of function space. Scheduled to open in December 2019 with the GM ideally commencing in November 2018.
PURPOSE OF ROLE:
To develop and implement the marketing / PR / e-commerce / social media that makes up the annual marketing plan and execute activities under the direction of the Director of Sales & Marketing (DOSM).
This role helps to drive revenue and increase market share, and to promote and profile the hotels B&F, weddings, events, group, FIT, spa and other revenue generating initiatives in line with W Hotels and Marriott International’s brand standards.
CAST KEY RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Represent the brand in all marketing and PR conduct in line with W Hotels and Marriott International’s corporate strategies with support from the DOSM
2. Lead the marketing and PR activities for the Hotel, in the six month lead up to pre-opening, to ensure that prior to opening countdown the Hotel has been positioned as THE top luxury hotel in Melbourne and THE lifestyle hotel in Australia, in conjunction with the appointed PR agency and DOSM
3. Champion the organisation of the Hotel’s premiere opening event and liaise with – including but not limited to – partners (eg. PR agency), events team and sponsors to deliver W to Melbourne and make it Melbourne’s party of the year (‘hottest ticket in town’)
4. Represent and promote the Hotel by maintaining constant contact with the media, local community, the customer base and corporate office
5. Develop and foster working relationships with agencies, media, tourism bureaus and key influencers
6. Develop the social media strategy for the hotel, manage all social media channels on a daily basis and ensure social media communication is effectively targeting the demographics of the W profiled hotel guest
7. Ensure property responses are updated on social media networking and review sites
8. Ensure recovery calls/responses are dealt with in an appropriate manner and in accordance with brand teachings
9. Deliver enthusiastic, positive, helpful and respectful client communication, ensuring precise and effective information transfer
10. Meet & greet all journalists / influencers who are experiencing the hotel (this will involve time outside of normal business working hours and media familiarisation weekends)
11. Build close working relationships with local media base
12. Be an early adopter and champion for innovation, as the W brand has been since inception, to deliver PR coverage, online marketing, channel engagement and enhanced guest experience
13. Implement and manage pay-per-click google campaigns, SEO and other digital strategies for Hotel website in conjunction with DOSM
14. Source and build credible partnerships in line with W Hotels brand values to ensure the hotel attains and remains at, the forefront of What’s new / what’s next in the Melbourne market in terms of Hotel and also the W passion points
15. Source and manage sponsorship opportunities / events for the Hotel in line with W hotels brand values
16. Schedule and manage W Happenings in line with the annual marketing plan and expectations of the W brand team. These will be on a weekly, monthly and quarterly basis to enable both brand and PR goals to be met
17. Manage the relationship with the Hotel’s appointed PR agency on a day to day basis with support from the DOSM at a strategic level
18. Proof all media releases issued by appointed PR agency which must be approved by DOSM and GM prior to release
19. Lead and manage all hotel photography and video shoots for the Hotel in line with W brand photography guidelines
20. Assist the Director of B&F in co-ordinating the B&F marketing calender for the year to ultimately exceed budgeted B&F revenue and position the Hotel’s five B&F venues as ‘The Place to Be and Be Seen’ in Melbourne
21. Be the W brand ambassador of the hotel, ensuring all materials comply with the W brand standards and all creatives follow the brand direction
22. Ensure all hotel associates are fully versed on these brand guidelines and give direction where appropriate
23. Respond to client queries within 24 hours of initial contact
24. Ensure all daily tasks are completed in a timely fashion
25. Maintain the Marketing Balance Scorecard which needs to be submitted to the Area Marketing team every quarter
26. Development and implementation of support materials and services in the area of marketing, communications and PR
27. Ensure files, correspondence and other relevant business documentation are maintained including all press clippings for the Hotel
28. Co-ordinate and control the photo library
29. Ensure all product information is regularly updated and correct in all forms of communication such as the internet, media, Marriott International distribution channels and printed material
30. Writing and proofing relevant hotel collateral, in room material and promotional material, including websites, ensuring they meet W brand standards
31. Writing speeches as required for Hotel Management
32. Compilation of award submission documents
33. Assisting in handling contact with all media including creation and execution of a year round media plan
34. Identifying a partner charity to support and subsequent events and media exposure in conjunction with the Hotel’s executive committee
35. Plan and develop promotional and communications strategies via all distribution channels including internet, GDS, media, placement of advertising as directed, printed materials and other sales & promotional tools as directed by DOSM and executive team for relevant departments
36. Work in conjunction with the Director of Revenue and DOSM to ensure all Marriott International programs and systems are fully maximised
37. Undertake additional duties as requested by DOSM and Hotel Management
38. Identify and share best practices
39. Ensure you are fully versed with the Hotel’s & Marriott Emergency & Crisis Management policies & procedures. Be well versed with the appropriate action and contact people to liaise with
40. Initiate on-line marketing initiatives
41. Assisting with the preparation and planning of the Annual Operation Plan, Department Objectives and other costs related to the Annual Budget
42. Ensure the annual Marketing plan is strategic and measurable and can be adjusted along with the business needs
43. Communicate corporate initiatives to associates as directed by the General Manager
44. Conduct regular associate meetings to keep associates and management informed and to foster two-way communication
45. To be the custodian of brand standards for all marketing communications in the Hotel to ensure LRA goals are achieved
46. To be the custodian of the brand website and Hotel website to ensure audit compliance goals are achieved
47. Align management style, working practices and conduct with Hotel, corporate values and policies and comply with the ‘Brand’s Code of Conduct’ at all times
48. Develop an awareness of, and appreciation for, the richness of the cultural diversity of our clients, associates and location
49. Encourage & support training programs.
50. Be well versed and knowledgeable of “Brand” Fire and Evacuation procedures as well as health and safety requirements in Workplace. Ensure Associates are aware of their duty of care as determined by legislation and that they maintain complete familiarity.
Higher Diploma or Bachelor Degree in Business Management, Hotel/Tourism Management and/or Marketing/Public Relations
Minimum 2 years’ experience in Marketing/Public Relations within International Hotel Chain or equivalent or the Fashion/Music/Design Industry
TALENT AND KEY COMPETENCIES
Build personal effectiveness
- W Look: appear confident, well-groomed and dressed in a smart casual manner
- W Personality: warm, welcoming, smiling and pleasant
- Act with integrity
- Communicate effectively
- Exhibit self-confidence
- Make sound decisions
- Adaptability / Flexibility
- Verbal and listening skills
- Writing skills: Able to write plans, reports, and proposals
Create team focus
- Build relationships
- Facilitate open communication
- Foster teamwork
- Promote team diversity
- Customer service orientation