Franchised Human Resources Director
Key West, Florida
Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 18001GD8
Job Category Human Resources
Location Sheraton Suites Key West, Key West, Florida VIEW ON MAP
Brand Sheraton Hotels & Resorts
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
Thank you for your interest in this position. It is a job opportunity with one of Marriott International’s franchisees.
Please apply via e-mail - firstname.lastname@example.org
Additional Information: This hotel is owned and operated by an independent franchisee, Ocean Properties and Affiliates. The franchisee controls all aspects of the hotel’s employment policies and practices, including the selection and hiring process. If you accept a position at this hotel you will be employed by a franchisee and not by Marriott International.
The Sheraton Suites, Havana Cabana at Key West and GHM Key West S.S.,LLC (collectively, the Company), is looking for an energetic, motivated team player to fill the Human Resources Director role at this fast paced Dual properties located in Key West, FL.
The Sheraton Suites and Havana Cabana at Key West is independently owned by DIAMOND ROCK KW NORTH TENANT, LLC and operated by Ocean Properties, one of the largest property management companies in North America. Ocean Properties prides itself on offering a variety of brand name hotels, appealing to all levels of guest experience.
The Human Resources Director is responsible for, but are not limited to, employment, wage and salary administration, benefits, training, employee/labor relations, organizational development and payroll. Work closely with General Manager in implementing, achieving and maintaining the hotels; Sheraton Suites and Havana Cabana at Key Wests goals and objectives. Participate in total hotel management as a member of the hotel Executive Committee.
- Establish and implement annual objectives for the Human Resources Department, including a departmental mission statement. Establish, maintain and ensure adherence to all personnel-related policies and procedures. Respond in courteous, professional and rapid manner in order to resolve all guest and staff difficulties. Apply principles of logical thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems in order to perform and direct many varied and complex tasks. Interact with employees and guests beyond giving and receiving instructions, emphasizing relationships with supervisor, subordinates, co-workers and guests in completing assignments. Resolve staff and guest complaints.
- Develop, direct and oversee overall hotel recruitment and hiring activities strategies for all exempt and non-exempt positions. Support and uphold hotel philosophy concerning hiring, employee relations, supervision and disciplinary action. Directly facilitate, in conjunction with hotel managers, open employee communications to discern grievances and to respond to those grievances in all appropriate manners, including redressing those meriting correction. Assist in recruitment and interviewing of candidates for all executive positions; conduct wage/salary/benefit surveys of the local market and recommend enhancements of the hotels compensation plan.
- Provide hotel-wide communication vehicles and interact in courteous and professional manner with all guests, staff and community members. Supervise, direct, coordinate, influence and persuade staff in order to maintain service standards of hotel. Maintain safety and cleanliness of work areas and employee areas, including, but not limited to, the employee cafeteria and locker rooms.
- Develop, maintain and coordinate hotel training programs that provide for specific skills training and management/supervisory development, including anti-harassment and anti-discrimination training. Direct and coordinate human resources activities to hire, train, develop, empower, coach, and counsel. Direct administration of performance appraisals in all departments. Maintain hotels human resources information system so as to provide accurate employee records that comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws. Monitor hotels compliance with all applicable federal, state and local laws.
- Oversee and investigate all employee relations and labor-related matters as they relate to federal, state and local employment and civil rights laws, including, but not limited to, Title VII, ADA, ADEA, FMLA, FLSA, Equal Pay Act, Pregnancy Discrimination Act, workers compensation and comparable state and local laws, and general human and civil rights. Must be familiar with applicable collective bargaining agreements and relevant local labor union(s). Maintain and administer employment, wage and salary, benefit, OSHA, ERISA, ADA and incentive programs (where applicable).
- Participate in the budget process as it relates to staffing, productivity, benefit costs, and employee/labor relations costs. Provide guidelines, direction and support in the administration of the disciplinary process. Prepare and maintain operating budget. Monitor staff turnover and recommend changes and improvements.
- Serve as member of the Executive Committee and work closely with all Executive Team members in supporting and achieving the hotels goals and objectives.
- Regular attendance in conformance with the standards, which may be established from time to time, is essential to the successful performance of this position. Employees with irregular attendance will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
- Due to the cyclical nature of the hospitality industry, employees may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the hotel. In addition, attendance at all scheduled training sessions and meetings is required.
- Upon employment, all employees are required to fully comply with Sheraton Suites and Havana Cabana at Key West rules and regulations for the safe and effective operation of the hotels facilities. Employees who violate hotel rules and regulations will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
- In addition to performance of the essential functions, this position may be required to perform a combination of the following supportive functions, with the percentage of time performing each function to be solely determined by the manager based upon the particular requirements of the hotel:
- Coach and counsel employees and managers.
- Advise General Manager and Executive Committee of potential human resources opportunities.
- Initiate and maintain relationships with community leaders.
SPECIFIC JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accmmodation, using some other combination of knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Must be able to speak, read, write and understand the primary language(s) used in the workplace.
- Must be able to read and write to facilitate the communication process.
- Requires good communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Most tasks are performed independently or in a team environment with the employee acting as a team leader. There is minimal direct supervision.
- Must possess basic computational ability.
- Ability to access, input, analyze and retrieve information from computers.
- Knowledge of computer accounting programs, math skills as well as budgetary analysis capabilities required.
- Thorough knowledge of federal, state and local laws governing equal employment opportunity and civil rights, occupational safety and health, workers compensation, wage and hour issues, and labor relations, including, but not limited to the following statutes and their state and local analogues (where applicable): Title VII, ADEA, Equal Pay Act, Pregnancy Discrimination Act, FLSA, ADA, OSHA, FMLA, ERISA, and NLRA.
- Thorough knowledge of wage and salary, employment and benefits administration and payroll.
- Must be able to perform a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature without loss of efficiency or composure.
- Ability to be proactive and reactive to anticipated and sudden changes especially as they relate to the labor situation.
- Ability to focus and maintain attention to performance of tasks and to work and complete assignments on time despite frequent stressful, emergency, critical or unusual interruptions.
- Ability to express or exchange ideas by means of the spoken word. Must be able to verbally convey detailed instructions to employees or guests.
- Ability to create, implement and monitor hotel and staff goals, strategies and policies.
- Ability to be resourceful, creative and maintain flexibility.
- Ability to train, motivate, evaluate, mentor and direct employees and managers to meet desired ends.
- Ability to maintain excellent relations with staff and maintain staff and guest confidentiality at all times.
- Ability to accept responsibility for actions of others.
- Ability to manage by example.
- Exceptional oral communication skills to ensure ability to negotiate and persuade guests and staff to achieve results beneficial to operation of hotel.
- Ability to converse calmly with irate guests, superiors and subordinates in intense emotional situations.
- Ability to participate in (and lead when necessary) all departmental and hotel-wide meetings.
- All employees must maintain a neat, clean and well-groomed appearance per Sheraton Suites and Havana Cabana at Key West standards.
This company is an equal opportunity employer.