Director of Reserve Operational Service Standards & Learning
Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 18001CDU
Job Category Rooms and Guest Services Operations
Location Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve, Dorado, Puerto Rico VIEW ON MAP
Brand The Ritz-Carlton
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
Functions as the property’s strategic business partner for the operational and service standards of the hotel’s learning discipline. Responsible for developing and implementing the Reserve brand operational, quality and service standards and processes. Establishes and assists in maintaining standard operating procedures (SOPs) primarily for the Rooms and F&B Divisions. Ensures SOPs and processes meet the needs of market niche, drive employee engagement and delivers on our commitment to continuous improvement and provides a return on investment.
Plans and executes key activities that will define, elevate and sustain ultra-luxury service for the Reserve. Facilitates and/or delivers specified on-property learning activites, observations, audits and assessments as needed. Verifies SOPs/processes are effectively implemented to accomplish objectives in alignment with broader business objectives. Monitors operational, quality and service standards and adjusts where necessary in order to maintain competitive advantage.
Specializes in performance development and learning delivery of brand and service-related topics to support the hotels in a designated region. Plans and executes key learning delivery and leadership development activities. Facilitates and/or delivers specified on-property training, including core required training and brand training for hourly associates, supervisors and leaders. Is the subject matter expert on brand and leadership development tools and resources, educating all leaders in their resources and assisting in their development as requested/appropriate.
Monitors compliance of all required training, including training programs for new hires, brand training initiatives, and working directly with HR and Operations Leaders to drive compliance for all required training. Verifies programs/processes are effectively implemented to accomplish objectives in alignment with broader business objectives. Learning services will be delivered primarily to the area for which he/she is assigned, however will support other regions or areas as required.
Helps drive company values and philosophy and ensures all training and development activities are strategically linked to the organization’s mission and vision. Works with property leadership team to identify and address employee and organizational development needs. The position is responsible for ensuring effective training is in place to enable the achievement of desired business results. Training programs focus on a variety of topics, including product knowledge, company philosophy, and customer service and leadership skills. Conducts needs assessments, designs and develops training programs and facilitates the delivery of both custom and corporate training programs. Measures the effectiveness of training to ensure a return on investment.
Education and Experience
• 2-year degree from an accredited university in Business Administration, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major, 3 years experience in the rooms or food & beverage operations, human resources, management operations, or related professional area.
• 4-year bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major; 1 year experience in rooms or food & beverage operations, human resources, management operations, or related professional area.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Manages the Operational, Quality and Service Goals
• Establishes property operations, quality and service standard procedures.
• Develops and implements the necessary SOPs and processes for the Reserve operation.
• Designs learning activities geared toward sustaining ultra-luxury levels of technical service excellence.
• Makes and executes decisions that will move the hotel toward achievement of goals.
• Champions the brand’s service vision for product and service standards delivery and ensures alignment amongst the leadership team
• Coaches leaders on adopting Reserve brand leadership style and service deliverables.
• Conducts periodic and timely audits to ensure compliance with company and brand standards.
• Directs property efforts to address critical operational processes that impact the guest experience.
• Assists with regional and/or company-wide implementation of company best practices.
• Ensures the improvement of Reserve operations; facilitates standards and process improvement teams; ensures that operational improvement is acheiveable and measurable.
• Drives company’s philosophy and goals; incorporates HR goals in overall operational objectives.
Reserve Operations Management
• Ensures that management practices at all levels are aligned with Reserve standards by providing appropriate learning activities and material; serve as a resource for ladies and gentlemen.
• Uses data to develop “just-in-time” standards or processes for the operation. Responds to guest trends and adjusts standards as required to meet and exceed guest expectation.
• Communicates defects in brand standards to the Hotel Manager; partners with the appropriate leaders to address defects.
Participates in Employee Development
• Uses data to develop technical learning programs/activities for leaders and hourly ladies and gentlemen.
• Partners with key players, to include guidance team, performance development manager, quality team, human resources team and operational leaders to improve the service skills and abilities of the ladies and gentlemen.
• Uses resources to elevate and improve the technical talent of the ladies and gentlemen.
Manages Market Trends
• Identifies guest needs and establishes SOPs and protocol that will drive highest levels of service experience.
• Understands the ultra-luxury market and the experience required by the market; prescribes solution and action required to maximize revenue and guest loyalty.
• Identifies areas that require new processes, SOPs, protocol and/or amendments to current standards.
Learning Delivery & Compliance
· Specializes in performance development and learning delivery of brand and service-related topics to support the hotels in a designated region.
· Facilitates and/or delivers specified on-property training, including core required training and brand training for hourly associates, supervisors and leaders.
· Demonstrates mastery of brand acumen for each brand supported by understanding brand pillars, modeling the behavior and holding others accountable.
· Verifies that management and non-management training programs are conducted in accordance with standard operating procedures.
· Coordinates required training programs, including identification of participants and periodic follow-up for completing, when appropriate.
· Verifies programs/processes are effectively implemented to accomplish objectives in alignment with broader business objectives.
· Delivers training to promote transfer of knowledge according to program learning objectives.
· Thoroughly prepares for each learning event and demonstrates a mastery of content knowledge.
· Creates an environment that enables maximum learning by employing adult learning principles.
· Demonstrates knowledge of the uniqueness of each audience, including adjusting delivery to the various learning styles represented, as well as for any special needs that could affect the learning.
· Conducts self in a manner reflective of Marriott professionalism and decorum before, during and after the learning event.
· Demonstrates overall control of the learning environment, including effectively leading the learning activities, giving directions, utilizing the experiential learning cycle, addressing classroom behavioral issues, etc. as appropriate.
· Demonstrates mastery of training technology and best practice facilitation methods to maintain quality standards for all mediums of training delivery.
· Monitors compliance of all required training, including training programs for new hires, brand training initiatives, and works directly with HR and Operations Leaders to drive compliance for all required training.
· Monitors compliance of required management and non-management training programs by using myLearning and Reports & Analytics tools.
Utilizes myLearning to appropriately/accurately record all learning. Verifies accurate training records with data entry in a timely manner.
· Acts as a subject matter expert for the Leadership Learning Guide and other leadership related tools/resources; educates all end users and assists with Performance Development Plans as appropriate.
· Assists HR Leaders in driving Management Development & Readiness Process (MDRP) activities for the region.
· Plays an active role in Voyager programs to verify new leaders are fully engaged with the program, receive proper coaching and required training.
· Engages in property-related problem resolution and performance issue management.
· Consults with hotel and department leaders to understand the challenges and deliver learning solutions against those challenges.
· Communicates clearly and effectively with stakeholders to promote learning and verify stakeholders are aligned with learning priorities.
· Partners with General Managers, HR Leaders and Operations Leaders to confirm learning is focused on goal accomplishment and ultimately balanced scorecard improvement.
· Keeps all stakeholders aligned with learning objectives and learning delivery across the supported hotels.
Administering Employee Training Programs
· Promotes and informs employees about all training programs.
· Displays leadership in guest hospitality, exemplifies excellent customer service and creates a positive atmosphere for guest relations.
· Helps employees identify specific behaviors that will contribute to service excellence.
· Ensures employees receive on-going training to understand guest expectations.
· Uses effective training methods to ensure employees have a good understanding of guest satisfaction and can demonstrate guest satisfaction skills.
· Meets with training cadre on a regular basis to support training efforts.
· Observes service behaviors of employees and provides feedback to individuals and/or managers.
Evaluating Training Programs Effectiveness
· Monitors enrollment and attendance at training classes.
· Meets regularly with participants to assess progress and address concerns.
· Partners with operational leaders to assess if employees demonstrate effective technical and leadership skills.
· Reviews comment cards, guest satisfaction results and other data to identify areas of improvement.
· Measures transfer of learning from training courses to the operation.
· Ensures adult learning principles are incorporated into training programs.
Developing Training Program Plans and Budgets
· Ensures all training and development activities (department specific and general property training) are strategically linked to the organization’s mission and vision.
· Identifies performance gaps and works with managers to develop and implement appropriate training to improve performance.
· Makes any necessary adjustments to training methodology and/or re-trains as appropriate.
· Aligns current training and development programs to effectively impact key business indicators.
· Establishes guidelines so employees understand expectations and parameters.
· Develops specific training to improve service performance.
· Drives brand values and philosophy in all training and development activities.
· Incorporates guest satisfaction as a component of departmental meetings with a focus on continuous improvement.
Managing Training Budgets
· Participates in the development of the Training budget as required.
· Manages budget in alignment with Human Resources and property financial goals.
· Manages department controllable expenses to achieve or exceed budgeted goals.
· Utilizes P-card if appropriate to control and monitor departmental expenditures.
• Collaborates with the guidance team as needed to ensure Reserve goals are met.
• Attends and engages in line-ups, meetings and project committees as needed.
• Provides service excellence to internal and external guests; exemplifies strong leadership talent; models company and brand standards.
• Performs other duties as required.