Sous Chef 西餐厨师长
Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 18000OYD
Job Category Food and Beverage & Culinary
Location Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel, Shanghai, China VIEW ON MAP
Brand Sheraton Hotels & Resorts
Position Type Non-Management/Hourly
Start Your Journey With Us
He is responsible for the efficient and successful operation of the designated Kitchen. He controls, checks and supervises the kitchen operations and works hands on as and when needed. He assumes the responsibility for training related functions of all his staff.
Supervise efficient, productive, and profitable kitchen operations and ensure that the highest standards of food production and presentation are consistent throughout the hotel at all times.
1. Food Production
· He is responsible for the quality of all food prepared in the kitchen he supervises. He constantly inspects taste, temperature and visual appeal. He makes sure that all dishes are uniform and that presentation and established portion sizes are adhered to.
· He is very careful to prevent the use of spoiled or contaminated products in any phase of food preparation and prevents associates who are ill or suffering from an infection from taking part in the preparation or handling of food.
· To assist with the planning of menus and food promotions together with the executive chef.
· Develop and test new dishes and products.
· Ensure that outstanding special events and special food promotions are carried out.
· To control standards of food production and presentation throughout the hotel.
· To examine goods for quality and quantity.
· He controls the Chefs and Cooks to follow standard recipes and methods of preparation with minimal wastage.
· He informs the Executive Chef immediately of bad products.
- Standards & Procedures.
· Total knowledge & understanding of Food Preparation Standard & Procedure.
· Ensure that all P&P and S&P are carried out consistently.
· Take part in the setting and evolving the standards and procedures.
· Responsible for hygiene standards with the Steward Coordinators, in all kitchens, store room, refrigerators and food preperation work areas.
· Responsible for the personal hygiene and grooming standards of the kitchen staff.
· He ensures personal cleanliness and proper discipline of all associates under his supervision.
· He assures that soiled or damaged utensils are not put into use, watching for cracked and chipped china and glassware and trains his staff to follow this rule.
5. Ensure you and your team are aware of the care required when dealing with Owner Assets particularly when it comes to loss and breakage. You need to work closely with your team & the chief steward to ensure loss & breakage is kept to a minimum.
· To work closely with the Executive Chef on the development of food cost and quality control procedures.
· To ensure that these control procedures are carried out consistently
· Assist with the costing and pricing of menus and other food services having taken into consideration the profit margins lined out in the hotel budgets.
· Together with the Executive Chef investigates food cost issues with a view to take whatever corrective action may be necessary.
· Make sure that all the Equipment and fixtures are maintained well and reports any faults and damage.
- Purchasing and Stock control
· Handle and store stock according to stock control procedures.
· To constantly examine food supplies to ensure that they conform to the quality standards stipulated by the company are adhered to.
· The Sous Chef is responsible for the purchase of food in absence of the Executive Chef. In cooperation with the Purchasing Manager, he assures the best quality for the best price.
7. Maintain a safe and secure working environment.
· Be aware of duty of care, and adhere to occupational health and safety legislation, policies and procedures.
· Initiate action to correct a hazardous situation and notify supervisor’s managers of potential hazards and dangers.
· Adhere to the hotel’s security and emergency policies and procedures
· Be familiar with property safety, current first aid fire emergency procedures.
· Comply with all hotel and corporate Safety and security guidelines.
· Takes an active part in all facets of Training activities in the Food Preparation Department.
· On the job training.
· Training on New menu Items.
· Conducting Classroom Style Training in all Food Preparation related subjects
· Assist Chief Steward with Sanitation and Health Training.
· To assist with the development and implementation of a training program for kitchen staff.
· Develop high performance staff thru coaching & training to higher positions within the operation or company. A strong team is the sign of a good Manager.
9. Staffing management & Communication.
· To work closely with the Executive Chef, Human Resources, Personnel manager, and plan for future staffing needs.
· Assist in Recruiting staff and conduct interviews.
· Maintain up-to-date staff records.
· Hands on and take active part in day-to-day operations.
· Manage staff training and development using Sheraton Human Resources management system.
· Assist with the planning and delivery work.
· Implement staff performance appraisals.
· Carry out exit interviews. Supervise staff performance.
· Provide ongoing advice and support to staff under your supervision.
· Provide one to one instructions to staff members when required.
· Implement appropriate management practices to foster a culture of open door approach and enhance staff motivation.
· He also liaises with other outlets and Departments on guest comments and follows up with necessary action.
· Inter act with department and hotel staff in a professional and positive manner to foster good rapport, promote team spirit and ensure effective two-way communication.
· Deal effectively with guests and workplace colleagues from a variety cultures.
· Work effectively in a team.
10. Kitchen Planning
· To assist the executive Chef with the planning and design of new kitchens and kitchen improvement schemes.
· To discuss with the Executive Chef on the choice of kitchen equipment.
· To keep up to date with new development techniques and equipment and instruct his staff on how to use it correctly.
· Maintain computer systems.
· Access and use basic word processing and spreadsheet computer packages.
12. Abide by the Sheraton Code of Conduct.
13. Abide by the Sheraton Employee Handbook.
14. Abide by both the hotel and Starwood policies and procedures.
15. Administration procedures.
· Prepare and maintain files, reports, letters, memorandums, and other relevant business documentation.
· Ensure all reporting and servicing deadlines are met on a timely basis.
· Together with the Executive Chef he schedules working hour of all kitchen staff, taking into consideration volume of expected business but being careful at all time to conserve labor cost. He authorizes overtime if warranted by unexpected business or dismisses them earlier if business it low.
· He assigns in detail, specific duties to all associates under his supervision and instructs them in their work.
· He works very closely with the Steward Coordinator whose duty is to keep kitchen area clean and orderly. He insists upon meticulous cleanliness and orderliness.
· Attend daily pre meal meeting with outlet Managers and associates to keep them informed of updates, new directions, policies and procedures and daily menu items and specials.
Must have a good knowledge and understanding have Western and basic Asian cuisines.
Must be “hands on” and able to practice and demonstrate excellent technical kitchen skills.
Must have the ability and motivation to create new dishes and establish effective standards for all food production and presentation.
Must be a good trainer.Good command of English and a good communicator.