Hotel Manager - Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve
Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 18000N2M
Job Category Property Leadership
Location Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve, Dorado, Puerto Rico VIEW ON MAP
Brand The Ritz-Carlton
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
Ideally situated on three miles of Caribbean coastline, with 1,400 acres of natural beauty, privacy and luxury, Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve opened in December 2012. The resort has 115 beachfront guestrooms/suites and a five-bedroom plantation hacienda renovated to its original 1920s style which serves as a VIP villa, perfect for weddings and private parties. The resort also includes 100 Reserve private residences ranging from two to four bedrooms. Dorado Beach offers guests a 20,000 square foot botanical spa, three dining venues including one by celebrated chef Jose Andres, and a Beach Club. For families, the resort hosts a Wind and Waves center featuring Jean-Michel Cousteau’s Ambassadors of the Environment, a celebrated program that provides innovative, hands-on eco-adventures.
The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Manager represents the brand’s service and core values – legendary, gracious, inspiring - in all leadership actions, is the core of hotel operations and leads the delivery of exceptional, authentic and memorable experiences for our guests. The Hotel Manager embodies The Ritz-Carlton culture and Gold Standards, and is responsible for building strong relationships with both employees and guests. You will work with your guidance team to create a work environment where empowerment and innovation are valued and enlivened on a daily basis. The Hotel Manager sets the standard for excellence and infuses a warm and refined leadership style throughout the property.
The successful candidate will have prior experience in luxury hotel operations, leadership roles in Rooms, and have worked in a complex resort environment. The Hotel Manager will be responsible for creating a culture that is very focused on delivering a high level of individualized service and a memorable guest experience. A proven track record of building strong relationships with employees, owners and the local community will be important. The ability to speak the Spanish is highly preferred.
As the first Reserve in the Americas, Dorado Beach embodies the elements, philosophy, unique style and design of the Reserve, an exclusive brand extension of The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company, L.L.C. Designed for those who seek to escape the stresses of everyday life and immerse themselves into a one-of-a-kind resort, Dorado Beach’s contemporary design incorporates many historical influences and references from the property’s long, rich history, creating a distinct sense of place for guests and residents.
Functions as the strategic business leader of property operations and acts as General Manager in his/her absence. Areas of responsibility include Front Office, , Retail/Gift Shops, Recreation/Fitness Center, Housekeeping, Security/Loss Prevention, Engineering/Maintenance, Food and Beverage/Culinary and Event Management, where applicable. Position works with direct reports (Executive Committee members and department heads) to develop and implement the operations strategy and ensuring implementation of the brand service strategy and brand initiatives. The position ensuring operations meet the brand’s target customer needs, ensuring employee satisfaction, focuses on growing revenues and maximizes financial performance. As a member of the Executive Committee, develops and implements property-wide strategies that deliver products and services to meet or exceed the needs and expectations of the brand’s target customer and property employees and provides a return on investment.
Education and Experience
• 2-year degree from an accredited university in Business Administration, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major; 8 years’ experience in the management operations, sales and marketing, or related professional area.
• 4-year bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major; 6 years’ experience in the management operations, sales and marketing, or related professional area.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Managing Profitability and Departmental Budgets
• Keeps operations team focused on the critical components of operations to drive guest satisfaction and the desired financial results.
• Ensures that all operational areas have an atmosphere that is conducive to the overall guest experience.
• Reviews financial reports and statements to determine how Operations is performing against budget.
• Ensures capital expenditure funds are being used to address the priorities outlined in the service strategy.
• Works with direct reports to determine areas of concern and establishing ways to improve the departments’ financial performance.
• Strives to maintain profit margins without compromising guest or employee satisfaction.
• Identifies and analyzes operational challenges and facilitates the development of solutions to prevent reoccurrence.
• Coaches and supports operations team to effectively manage occupancy & rate, wages and controllable expenses.
• Reviews the Wage Progress Report and compares budgeted wages to actual wages, coaching direct reports to address problem areas and holds team accountable for results.
• Develops an operational strategy that is aligned with the brand’s business strategy and leads its execution.
• Makes and executes key decisions to keep property moving forward towards achievement of goals.
Managing Property Operations
• Strives to improve service performance.
• Communicates a clear and consistent message regarding operational goals to produce desired results on a continuous basis.
• Ensures brand and regional business initiatives are implemented and communicates follow-up actions to team as necessary.
• Ensures core elements of the service strategy are in place to produce the desired results.
• Tours building on a regular basis speaking with employees and guests to understand business needs and assess operational opportunities.
Leading Property Operations Teams
• Establishes a vision for product and service delivery on property.
• Champions the brand’s service vision for product and service delivery and ensuring alignment amongst the property leadership team.
• Ensures employees are treated fairly and equitably.
Managing and Conducting Human Resources Activities
• Observes service behaviors of employees and providing feedback to individuals and/or managers.
• Hires operations management team members who demonstrate strong functional expertise, creativity and entrepreneurial leadership to meet the business needs of the operation.
• Conducts annual performance appraisals with direct reports according to Standard Operating Procedures.
• Utilizes an “open door” policy and reviewing employee satisfaction results to identify and address employee problems or concerns.
• Stays knowledgeable of leadership talent in the property.
• Fosters employee commitment to providing excellent service, participating in daily stand-up meetings and models desired service behaviors in all interactions with guests and employees.