General Manager - D
Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 18000K0K
Job Category Property Leadership
Location Suzhou Mudu CY, Suzhou, China VIEW ON MAP
Brand Courtyard by Marriott
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
Functions as the primary strategic business leader of the property with responsibility for all aspects of the operation, including: managing general property performance, managing and sustaining sales and marketing strategy, managing profitability, managing revenue generation, and delivering a return on investment to both Marriott International and ownership. Leads the team in the development and implementation of property-wide strategies. Acts as a steward and key leader for reinforcing culture. Supports the implementation of the brand service strategy and brand initiatives with the objective of meeting or exceeding guest expectations and developing strong associate teams. Builds relationships with key customers and is a key leader in the sales process. Build relationship with ownership or asset manager.
Education and Experience
• 2-year degree from an accredited university in Business Administration, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major; 6 years mixed management experience in the guest services, front desk, housekeeping, sales and marketing, management operations, or related professional area.
• 4-year bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major; 4 years mixed management experience in the guest services, front desk, housekeeping, sales and marketing, management operations, or related professional area.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Managing Property Operations and Department Budgets
• Ensure service programs are in place and executed against (e.g., Refreshing Service).
• Provide timely, real-time feedback to management and hourly/non-management associates on service and operational standards; including feedback on even the smallest of service and operational details.
• Review and follow-up on property Guest Service Satisfaction (GSS) scores and comments.
• Create and support clear lines of responsibility for management team, including coverage and oversight throughout the day.
• Walk the property to ensure public spaces, grounds, work and kitchen areas meet sanitation and cleanliness/maintenance standards.
• Inspect guest rooms on a weekly basis to ensure cleanliness/maintenance.
• Manage the flow of labor between departments to support effective management of Labor Budget and achievement of profitability goals.
• Act as a project manager for the execution of capital improvements (e.g., renovations, reinventions, refreshes, signage, etc.).
• Delegate responsibilities for operations and projects to appropriate level of associate.
• Prepare for Quality Assurance (QA) audits (i.e., daily and pre-visit activities).
• Encourage all departments to operate under Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) or Local SOPs (LSOP) and make sure they are up to date.
• Actively participate in GSS committee.
• Follow and adapt Standard Operating Procedures in all areas of responsibility according with local laws.
• Maintain accountability for results for each one of the team members.
• Engage management and associates to deliver the best service in all interactions with guest, customers, etc.
Managing and Sustaining Sales and Marketing Strategy
• Manage relationships with decision makers at top accounts.
• Interact with in-house guests to prospect for new sources of business.
• Work with Market Sales to establish property sales strategy, extended stay occupancy (ESOcc) targets, sales goals, and action plans.
• Understand and leverage sales and marketing advantages over competitor properties within market.
• Coach and reinforce associate selling strategies that take advantage of property amenities.
• Work with the Regional Sales office (RSO) to implement sales strategy for the property (e.g., goal setting, setting rates, Occ, etc.).
• Develop innovative means for capturing new streams of revenue through property amenities.
• Ensure direct sales staff fully utilizes e-tools (e.g., e-proposals, e-mail signatures), as appropriate.
• Participate in and host customer recognition events to drive sales.
• Monitor sales strategy with RSO to ensure ongoing effectiveness and compliance.
• Participate in the property sales review (PSR).
• Identify key revenue generating stakeholders and customers and communicate information to sales offices.
• Collaborate with Regional Marketing and eCommerce Managers to develop and/or sustain marketing and eCommerce strategies for the hotel.
• Actively participate in sales calls and sales visits to generate demand for the property and build relationships with potential customers.
• Participate and encourage leaders to participate in sales events, local and international promotions.
• Help and direct all efforts to contribute to increase sales in the Marriott portfolio.
• Follow up appropriately and in a timely manner to answer guest and customer questions.
• Actively identifies ‘local talent’ to grow Company in new markets.
• Engages with the community to build strong relationships with neighbors.
• Champions and leads BLT process.
• Acts as an Ambassador for the Company within the community.
• Measure, analyze, and communicate property performance using a variety of financial/non-financial data including controllable costs, sales revenue, guest satisfaction, and associate engagement data.
• Manage on-property controllable costs associated with rooms, housekeeping, events, and food and beverage operations.
• Initiate action to support property revenue and profitability goals.
• Update and communicate profit forecasts to associates/managers.
• Review and sign off on invoices.
• Review Property Distribution Summary (OnDemand) and Purchase Detail Reports; identify, research, and resolve balance issues.
• Consolidate reports needed for period-end review (e.g., P&L, Accounting Scorecard, Banking Report and Statistics, PACE, credit card fraud report).
• Review property performance on period basis with Regional Director.
• Conduct h-end critiques with each manager.
• Prepare and review forecast vs. actual to adjust and modify in accordance with goals in sales and profitability.
• Review with team leaders and support actions to achieve results in alignment with property and brand goals.
• Train leaders and associates to critique results and generate plans and actions to improve results.
Maintaining Revenue Management Goals
• Manage the relationship with the revenue management office (e.g., participate in routine calls, strategy meetings, periodic update meetings, etc.).
• Review and work with appropriate revenue management reports (e.g., Demand Eye Chart, Benchmark Pricing Evaluator, Rate/Value Matrix, Smith Travel Research (STR) reports, etc.).
• Balance inventory to ensure same-day sellouts.
• Support and test strategies, review rates and adjust them to manage optimal mix in the segmentation.
Managing Relationships with Property Stakeholders (e.g., Owner and Above Property)
• Keep brand leadership team, owners, and above property stakeholders updated on property performance in the areas of financials, guest satisfaction, and associate engagement.
• Prepare and present reports for owners and above property leadership using financial/performance data.
• Conduct property critique.
• Conduct annual business reviews.
• Respond to off-property (e.g., regional and owner) requests for sales information (e.g., Market Outlook, STR Report critique, etc.).
• Participate in ad hoc owner conference calls and respond appropriately to owner requests.
• Meet with other managers from the competitive set and built the relation with other business related to the hotel activity.
Managing and Conducting Human Resource activities
• Conduct performance review process for associates (including LPP/HPP, career plan form, development plans, associate information form, mid-year check-ins, 90-day check-ins for new associates, etc.).
• Understand the performance expectations for all positions within the property (e.g. front desk associate, gourmet attendant, etc).
• Ensure ongoing development of managers (e.g., one on one coaching, providing stretch assignments, etc.).
• Cascade/Deliver training to associates.
• Facilitate cross training to support associate professional growth and operational excellence.
• Conduct day to day Human Resource transactions to support needs of the property (e.g., compensation actions, initiation and approval of hiring requisitions, etc.).
• Lead associates through property changes, and help them transition into new property roles.
• Facilitate on property activities that communicate and reinforce culture with associates.
• Complete management training (e.g., ConnectU, GM conferences, HR Skills, etc.).
• Support recruitment and hiring efforts from various sourcing channels (e.g., local job fairs, Internet, referrals) to target associates with skill sets (e.g., rooms operations) compatible for operational needs.
• Complete all trainings regarding the human resources systems.
• Conduct All Associates meeting every quarter.
• Create a local benefits package for associates.
• Review and follow up on pending items from HR audits and other audits that include HR items.
• Participate in hly departmental meetings and engage associates to contribute in a positive manner.
• Conduct town hall meetings with associates to share results vs. actuals forecast.
• Meet with other property HR managers to have a better understanding of their operations and benefits, compare wages, and prepare plans of actions if necessary.
• Closely involved in Engagement Survey (ES) process.
• Manage e-mail.
• Manage daily paper mail.
• Participate in conference calls (e.g., sales, promotion, questions and answers, property performance, etc.).
• Provide follow-up information to Regional Director and other Extended Stay/Select Service executives.
• Prepare for Regional Director visits (e.g., pulling and consolidating relevant reports).