Director Resort Experience
Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 18000B0T
Job Category Golf, Fitness, and Entertainment
Location JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa, San Antonio, Texas VIEW ON MAP
Brand Marriott Hotels Resorts /JW Marriott
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
This position functions as the strategic business leader for the property's Resort Experience operations. Makes management decisions and provides departmental guidance for all Resort operations related activities to include the Spa, Recreation / Health Club, Pool, and Guest activities. Manages Spa Director, and Recreation Manager. Develops and manages resort activity programs (e.g., coordinates activities, purchases equipment and supplies etc.). Manages pools, health club and kid’s club, including overall maintenance, daily upkeep and cleanliness. Provides and models service behavior to guests and employees. Reinforces appropriate culture to provide service to guests. Conducts administrative activities to ensure employees are treated in a fair and equitable manner for Spa, Recreation / Health Club, and other appropriate Resort Operations related teams. Position works with direct reports (department managers) to develop and implement departmental strategies and ensures implementation of the brand service strategy and brand initiatives. The position ensures “Resort Experiences” meet the brand’s standards, targets customer needs, ensures employee satisfaction, focuses on growing revenues and maximizes the financial performance of the department.
Education and Experience
• 2-year degree from an accredited university in Business Administration, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major; 4 years experience in the spa, guest services, front desk, sales and marketing, or related professional area.
• 4-year bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major; 2 years experience in the spa, guest services, front desk, sales and marketing, or related professional area.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Developing and managing resort activity programs.
• Manages property Spa Operations to include spas suites, massage rooms, salons, boutiques, treatments, fitness studios and programs, and pool areas.
• Manages Resort Pool and Recreation Experience that includes features such as lazy river, water slides, adult and kid pools.
• Maintains Life Safety Standards in all Water Experience areas.
• Coordinates pool deck activities and plans pool deck special events.
• Coordinates concierge employees execution of the Virtual Concierge Computer Program – program created specific for the property to personalize guest experiences while visiting the property.
• Oversees Kids Club Room and Program Activities.
• Coordinates with Guest Services daily Recreation Schedule and Activities.
• Executes Overall Guest experiences for key holidays, high leisure demand time periods, and open to the community events.
• Coordinates group experience activities on property.
• Oversees Special Events.
• Develops and coordinates all Resort Events such as guest barbeques, wine tasting, farmer markets, Easter egg hunts, Wii bowling tournaments – to include both kids and adult activities.
• Finds and serves as liaison with vendors to support events.
• Attends to and prioritizes the needs of events happening at the Resort (which may involve simultaneous activities).
Managing the daily maintenance and cleanliness of pools, health club, and kid’s club.
• Conducts inspections and ensuring that the property is getting fixed and maintained. Coordinating the fixes with vendor or own housekeeping/engineering to get fixed.
• Ensures inspection logs are kept up to date.
• Builds and manages relationship with appropriate vendors responsible for providing any service to a Resort Operations function.
Evaluating impact of and providing departmental guidance for all Resort operations related activities.
• Reviews financial statements, sales and activity reports, and other performance data to measure productivity and goal achievement and to determine areas needing cost reduction and program improvement.
• Understands associate satisfaction and guest satisfaction results and develops game plans to attack need areas and expand on the strengths.
• Utilizes budgets to understand financial objectives balancing costs with employee/guests satisfaction and quality.
• Ensures effective departmental communication and information systems through logs, department meetings and property meetings.
• Ensures that goals are being translated to the team as they relate to guest tracking and productivity.
• Reviews reports and financial statements to determine guest experience operations performance against budget.
• Leads cost containment efforts within departments operations including organizational restructuring when necessary.
• Coaches and supports guest experience departments to effectively manage occupancy & rate, wages and controllable expenses.
Developing and executing strategies to meet brand, service, and operational Goals.
• Identifies key drivers of business success and keeps resort experience leadership focused on the critical few to achieve results.
• Champions the brand’s property experience vision and ensures execution of property experience efforts.
• Makes and executes the necessary decisions to keep property moving forward toward achievement of goals.
Cultivating high performing teams to drive the guest experience
• Manages and develops Spa Director, Recreation Manager, and Guest Experience Manager so they can maximize performance in their respective areas.
• Fosters employee commitment to providing excellent service, participates in daily stand-up meetings and models desired service behaviors in all interactions with guests and employees.
• Ensures recognition is taking place across all guest experience areas.
• Incorporates guest satisfaction as a component of staff/operations meetings with an emphasis on generating innovative ways to continually improve results.
• Ensures that regular on-going communication takes place in department’s areas to communicate daily operations activities, set expectations and create awareness of business objectives.
• Identifies and hires guest experience (Guest Service, Recreation, and Spa) operations management team members who demonstrate strong functional expertise, creativity and entrepreneurial leadership to meet the business needs of the operation.
• Celebrates successes and publicly recognizes the contributions of team members.
• Establishes and maintains open, collaborative relationships with direct reports and entire Resort team; ensures direct reports do the same for their team.
• Ensures barriers to achieving goals are being discussed and resolved by the team.
• Ensure that the team has the capabilities to meet expectations.
Providing and modeling service behavior to guests and employees.
• Provides excellent customer service by being readily available/approachable for all guests.
• Ensures that all employees, team leaders (if applicable) and manager(s) understand the brand service culture.
• Creates and nurtures a property environment that emphasizes motivation, empowerment, teamwork, continuous improvement and a passion for providing service.
• Takes proactive approaches when dealing with guest concerns.
• Responds timely to customer service department request.
• Extends professionalism and courtesy to guests at all times.
• Creates an atmosphere within Resort that meets or exceeds guest expectations.
• Tours building on a regular basis speaking with employees and guests to understand business needs and assess operational opportunities.
• Identifies and analyzes guest experience operational challenges and facilitates the development of solutions to prevent reoccurrence.
• Leads by example demonstrating self-confidence, energy and enthusiasm.
• Motivates and encourages staff to solve guest and employee related concerns.
• Assists employees in understanding guests’ ever-changing needs and expectations, and exceeds them.
• Stays visible and interfaces with customers on a regular basis to obtain feedback on quality of product, service levels and overall satisfaction.
• Reviews comment cards, guest satisfaction results and other data to identify areas of improvement.
Conducting administrative activities to ensure employees are treated in a fair and equitable manner for Spa, Recreation / Health Club, and other appropriate Resort Operations related teams.
• Organizes and conducts weekly meetings with Resort Operations managers and staff.
• Coordinates, or provides support for coordinating, all training activities for employees in all departments.
• Conducts performance reviews in a timely fashion.
• Promotes both Guarantee of Fair Treatment and Open Door policies.
• Takes proactive approaches when dealing with employee concerns.
• Extends professionalism and courtesy to employees at all times.
• Ensures that staffing levels are appropriate to exceed guest expectations and all team members meet or exceed hospitality requirements.
• Interviews and makes hiring decisions for areas under management scope.
• Meets semiannually with staff on a one-to-one basis with managers/supervisor.
• Communicates/updates all goals and results with employees.
• Ensures administrative activities such as review of information for payroll are completed in a timely manner.
• Ensures that regular, ongoing communication is happening in departments (e.g., pre-shift briefings, staff meetings).
• Ensures employees are treated fairly and equitably.
• Sets goals and expectations for direct reports using the performance review process and holds staff accountable for successful performance.
• Solicits employee feedback, utilizes an “open door policy” and reviews employee satisfaction results to identify and address employee problems or concerns.