At Le Méridien, we believe in helping guests unlock the unexpected and engaging experiences each destination has to offer. Our guests are curious and creative, cosmopolitan, culture seekers that appreciate sophisticated, timeless service. We provide original, chic and memorable service and experiences that inspire guests to unlock the destination. We’re looking for curious, creative and well-informed people to join our team. If you appreciate connecting with like-minded guests and have a deep desire to create unexpected experiences, we invite you to explore career opportunities with Le Méridien.
Director of Operational Innovation (Lean Six Sigma Black Belt)
(The job is based in Al Khobar but
also for Aloft Riyadh, Aloft Dhahran and possibly Sheraton Riyadh.)
The Director of Operational Innovation is a high-potential member of the Executive Committee accountable for accomplishing innovative business process improvements resulting in measurable financial and/or customer loyalty gains by applying the Lean and Six Sigma methodology in his assigned area of responsibility.
He is a Project Team leader who is an expert in the methodology and tools and mobilises team members and others in the organization to accomplish the aggressive goals specified in the Project Charter.
Over the course of a year, he would be expected to complete approximately 2 to 6 projects depending on size, complexity and resources. The Black Belt must both influence others to overcome barriers, and coach/train team members in the methodology. Black Belts report to the GM of either a hotel, area, division or corporate, depending on the specific situation and the Master Black Belt.
Working with the Master Black Belt (MBB), refines and updates the Project Team Charters including problem statements, goals (financial, customer, process), project scope, staffing Team Members (usually assigned part-time to the team), and scheduling.
Plays primary role in selecting Team Members.
Plans and leads Lean operations Reviews for a specific process or the entire business unit. Uses Lean tools to identify and eliminate waste and ensures buy in of the leadership team for solutions recommended.
Accomplishes the Project Team’s goals by applying the DMAIC methodology (including Define, Measure, Analyze, Improve, Control) and tools, including measurement and statistical analysis tools, and process improvement techniques.
Plans and schedules Project Team Member assignments and meetings; designs and facilitates productive team meetings; and manages project activities outside of team meetings.
Maintains project on schedule, keeps MBB informed of progress and problems, and attempts to break down barriers to success of the project.
Leads 1-3 Project Teams and allocates resources such as own time and that of team members to highest priorities (uses time wisely).
Creates motivated and high-involvement Project Teams by using active listening skills, stimulating innovation, and providing clear direction and performance rewards/ recognition. Coaches and trains Team Members in using DMAIC and team skills.
Serves as the voice of the Project Team with Quality Council and MBB, and as the point of contact between their Team and rest of the organization. Acts as Six Sigma “zealot,” enthusiastically spreading knowledge about the methods and project successes.
Participates in periodic project reviews with MBB and Quality Council, and shares best practices with others in the organization.
Assures that the approved project improvements are successfully implemented before Project Team disbands.
Applies performance management and review practices to Project Team Members and contributes to their regular performance evaluation.
CORE COMPETENCY REQUIREMENTS
Builds Personal Effectiveness
- Acts with Integrity
- Communicates Effectively
- Exhibits Self-Confidence
- Makes Effective Decisions
Builds Team Effectiveness
- Builds Relationships
- Facilitates Open Communication
- Fosters Teamwork
- Supports Team Diversity
- Attracts, Develops & Retains Talent
- Inspires Trust
- Leads By Example
- Leads Learning in the Organization
Builds Competitive Advantage
- Creates Strategic Focus
- Demonstrates Financial Acumen
- Drives Business Results
- Fosters Customer Focus
Creates a High Performance Culture
- Demonstrates Functional Excellence
- Executes Effectively
- Motivates & Inspires Others
- Takes Ownership
Drives Change & Innovation
- Builds Support for Change
- Drives Continuous Improvement
- Identifies & Applies Best Practices
Technical/Job-specific Competency requirements and related experience
- Strong effective communicator with PR attitude and skills
- Ability to build rapport with Executive Committee, General Manager(s) and Area Executives
- Strong professional personality
- Constructively manage all stakeholders and break barriers
- Ability to build and lead effective and successful teams
- Analytical thinker combined with skills of thinking outside the box
- Ability to effectively use technology such as Internet and software
- Withstanding pressure without it having effect on efficiency or quality
- Open to change and ability to create and drive change
- Ability to deal with ambiguity and a changing environment
- Proven record of driving and delivering Financial Results
- Complete understanding of the importance of the Voice of the Customer
- Fluent written and spoken business English
- Business and industry experience at the strategic and tactical level
- Experience leading major initiatives
- Experience leading cross-functional teams
- Experience managing large-scale projects Strong analytical and diagnostic skills
- Financial management
- Ability to breakdown cultural barriers
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent education/experience required.
Proven track record of achieving results and managing teams. If coming from hospitality management, appropriate level would be Executive Committee Member or Department Head (or experience as Divisional or Corporate Director). This role is positioned to develop “high-potentials” to assume roles with significantly increased responsibilities upon completion of the Black Belt role.
This job description is not an exclusive or exhaustive list of all job functions that an employee in this position may be asked to perform from time to time.