Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 17002IAV
Job Category Food and Beverage & Culinary
Location Sprowston Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club, Norwich, Norfolk VIEW ON MAP
Brand Marriott Hotels Resorts /JW Marriott
Position Type Non-Management/Hourly
Start Your Journey With Us
Sprowston Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club offers its associates a competitive salary, gym membership, staff meals, car parking and generous global hotel discounts for you, your friends and family.
The hotel has a focus on culinary excellence and provides staff with extensive, ongoing training and development. Marriott International is the worlds’ largest hotel company and provides great career opportunities.
Located to the North East of Norwich, Sprowston Manor is part of an exclusive collection of Marriott country clubs. Set in a 16th century manor house, there is great access to the many nearby cultural, shopping and social attractions of the city centre. Also nearby are the international airport, Norwich Football Club and the Sainsbury Centre for Visual Arts.
Sprowston Manor boasts exceptional facilities including an 18-hole golf course, refined spa with beauty treatments, fitness centre with an indoor pool, children’s pool, a whirlpool and a sauna. We also have a chic restaurant, casual bar and a business centre with 11 event rooms.
Marriott Hotels, Marriott International’s flagship brand with more than 500 global locations, is advancing the art of hosting so that our guests can travel brilliantly. As a host with Marriott Hotels, you will help keep this promise by delivering premium choices, sophisticated style, and well-crafted details. With your skills and imagination, together we will innovate and reinvent the future of travel. Find Your World™ at Marriott Hotels.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.
This position is 40 hours over 5 days
- Ensure the quality of the food items and notify manager if a product does not meet specifications.
- Monitor the quantity of food that is prepared and the portions that are served in to control food waste and ensure that good food is not thrown away.
- Communicate any assistance needed during busy periods to the Chef to ensure optimum service to guests.
- Operate ovens, stoves, grills, microwaves, and fryers to prepare foods.
- Check and ensure the correctness of the temperature of appliances and food using thermostats and thermometers, including monitoring freezer systems, such as fans, drains, and doors, for proper operation, and report issues or problems to management.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of company Food Safety Programmes within assigned area of responsibility, as well as all local regulations.
- Prepare and cook food according to recipes, quality standards, presentation standards, and food preparation checklist, establishing priority items.
- Prepare ingredients for cooking, including portioning, chopping, and storing food before use.
- Wash and peel (if required) fresh fruits and vegetables to prepare them for cooking or consumption.
- Test foods to determine if they have been cooked sufficiently, using methods such as tasting, smelling, or piercing them with utensils.
- Weigh, measure, and mix ingredients according to recipes or personal judgment, using various kitchen utensils and equipment.
- Monitor food quality while preparing food and throughout the day utilizing the HACCP forms and production charts.
- Prepare cold foods, including preparing salads, cold sandwiches, condiments, and dressings.
- Follow company and department safety and security policies and procedures to ensure a clean, safe, and secure environment.
- Be aware of accident prevention and help enforce safe work conditions – zero accident is our goal. Report work related accidents, or other injuries immediately upon occurrence to manager/supervisor.
- Use proper equipment, wear appropriate personal protective clothing (PPE), and employ correct lifting procedures, as necessary, to avoid injury.
- Complete appropriate safety training and certifications to perform work tasks.
- Identify and correct unsafe work procedures or conditions and/or report them to management and security/safety personnel.
- Follow property specific procedures for handling emergency situations (e.g., evacuations, medical emergencies, natural disasters).
- Follow company and department policies and procedures, including but not limited to safety & security, emergency situations, sanitation & cleaning procedures.
- Protect company tools, equipment, machines, or other assets in accordance with company policies and procedures.
- Ensure uniform, nametags, and personal appearance are clean, hygienic, professional and in compliance with company policies and procedures.
- Maintain confidentiality of proprietary information; protect company assets including protect the privacy and security of guests and coworkers.
- Perform other reasonable job duties as requested by Supervisors.
- Assist other employees to ensure proper coverage and prompt guest service.
- Speak to guests using clear, appropriate and professional language.
- Speak with others using clear and professional language.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with others; support team to reach common goals.
- Support all co-workers and treat them with dignity and respect.
- Comply with quality assurance expectations and standards.
- Stand, sit, or walk for an extended period of time or for an entire work shift.
- Reach overhead and below the knees, including bending, twisting, pulling, and stooping.
- Move, lift, carry, push, pull, and place objects weighing less than or equal to 25 pounds without assistance.
- Wash and disinfect kitchen area including tables, tools, knives, and equipment to ensure sanitary conditions and meet the departmental standards, including using sanitizers required by health department.
- Set-up and break down work station with required mise en place, tools, equipment and supplies, ensuring items are to established specs, ensuring adequate fill of containers, storing items appropriately, and cleaning station as appropriate.
- Follow and ensure compliance with sanitation and cleaning procedures and pest control guidelines, reporting pest control issues to appropriate personnel.
- Disassemble and assemble kitchen equipment following safety procedures when cleaning.
- Follow appropriate personal hygiene procedures to ensure food served to guests is safe for consumption, including disinfecting hands prior to handling food and wearing hat/hairnet and proper footwear.
- Follow and ensure compliance with food safety and handling policies and procedures, such as product rotation, First In-First Out (FIFO); dating, labeling, cleaning, and organizing coolers/freezers/storage areas; and Cold Chain compliance, across all food-related departments and areas.
- Report maintenance issues immediately to appropriate personnel (i.e., management or maintenance).
- Use kitchen tools safely and appropriately, including using appropriate tools to open cartons, boxes, and cans; keeping knives sharpened; using proper knife handling procedures; using correct knives for particular food item or specific task; using dry pads when moving hot material; and engaging all appropriate safety devices prior to operating equipment. Use measuring tools (for example, scale, measuring cups, measuring spoons) to precisely measure ingredients and portion sizes.
- Passion for producing great food
- Communication skills (verbal, listening, writing)
- Pro-active and reliable
- Able to work alone and with a team ( Interpersonal skills)
- Team working
- Diversity Relations
- Personal Attributes
- Safety Orientation
- Presentation skills
- Stock and Inventory
- Food Storage and Rotation
- Basic Cookery
- Ability to follow instruction
- Attention to detail
- Well presented
- Good timekeeping
- Flexibility of hours, days of week, early/late shifts
- 5 GCSE or Equivalent
- Willing to commit to NVQ Level 2 and a minimum 8 hours work in own time
- Must achieve minimum entry level 3 in Numeracy and Literacy Tests