Jul 30, 2020Job Number
Public Relations & CommunicationsLocation
Europe Office - London, Barnard's Inn, 86 Fetter Lane, London, Greater London, United Kingdom VIEW ON MAPBrand
Start Your Journey With Us
Marriott International is the world’s largest hotel company, with more brands, more hotels and more opportunities for associates to grow and succeed. We believe a great career is a journey of discovery and exploration. So, we ask, where will your journey take you?
The Senior Director Crisis Communications, EMEA is responsible for protecting and maintaining the reputation of Marriott International, our brands and our portfolio of 900+ hotels in the EMEA region. The position will provide senior level counsel and advice to Marriott’s Senior Leadership Team and Area Vice Presidents and will be responsible for developing messaging and handling media calls for any issues or crises that may arise.
The position will act as a spokesperson for Marriott International and will be on-call to handle media enquiries. The role will also create and deliver training programmes and guidelines to coach senior executives and hotel General Managers on crisis communications.
Direct Reports: 0
Reporting into the Vice President Communications, EMEA, this position oversees crisis communications and issues management across the EMEA continent. The role will be the first point of call for all issues / crisis situations that may arise across the region, including outside traditional office hours. The role will collaborate with the EMEA Senior Leadership Team, Area Teams and in-market PR leaders across EMEA to understand and evaluate issues that may challenge the reputation of the company, hotels and brands and develop an appropriate response.
The position will be in frequent contact with reporters across EMEA and will act as a spokesperson for Marriott International on a regular basis to ensure that Marriott is represented in line with our values. The role will combine reactive response with proactive storytelling to ensure we tell the Marriott narrative and build our reputation across the various markets in which we operate.
The role will be forward-looking in order to anticipate and prepare for any future reputational challenges or risks. The position will collaborate closely with the Risk Management and Global Safety & Security teams to ensure crisis communications protocols are embedded into all operational response plans.
The position will also collaborate closely with the wider EMEA Communications team and in-market PR teams. The ideal candidate will have an extensive knowledge of the geo-political landscape across the EMEA region and a strong interest in global events and politics.
The role will ensure crisis communications is integrated into all communications planning and create tools (e.g., manuals, training modules, newsletters) for field use that support and educate hotel teams on handling issues at the property level. The role will also support with crisis communications training sessions for stakeholders across the business.
The position will collaborate with the MLive social media team to ensure that appropriate crisis / issues monitoring is in place across our various key markets. He/she will also evaluate available data to report back and benchmark the reputation of the company and brands. The role will also manually monitor online feeds, escalating issues to hotels and customer services teams as necessary and guiding these stakeholders on the response. The role will align with the Global Communications & Public Affairs in Marriott International’s Headquarters in Washington D.C.
CANDIDATE PROFILE - KEY TALENTS AND EXPERIENCE DESIRED
• Minimum 10 years of corporate communications experience, preferably within the travel / hospitality / lifestyle sector.
• Strong background crisis communications and reputation management
• Experience and ability to manage the interests and demands of multiple stakeholders.
• Expertise in advising senior leadership through corporate crises, social media issues, labour issues, customer service issues, management changes, litigation and any other situations that may pose a threat to our reputation
• Strong understanding of the geo-political landscape across EMEA
• Experience of working in an international environment and across different cultures
• Experience in public speaking and acting as a spokesperson
• Experience managing budgets
• Hotel and/or brand experience preferred.
Education or Certification
• University degree
• Or equivalent in Public Relations / Communications / Marketing.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
• Strategic thinker and strong leadership skills
• Clear communicator with solid writing and messaging skills
• Proficiency in multiple languages a plus
• Strong public speaker
• Ability to inspire confidence and gain credibility with Senior Leaders
• High degree of personal loyalty and integrity
• Well organized and able to multi-task and prioritise workload
• Self-starter and action-orientated
• Ability to work out-of-hours as required
• Ability to regularly travel internationally
• Calm under pressure
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.