Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 20032465
Job Category Finance and Accounting
Location Singapore Regional Office, 2 Harbourfront Place #06-08, Singapore, Singapore, Singapore VIEW ON MAP
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
The Director of Compliance manages a remote team responsible for monitoring, evaluating and improving the control environment and operational effectiveness for managed hotels and ensuring compliance with Marriott’s financial policies and procedures. Those activities are concerned with assisting and training hotels in strengthening and enhancing processes and tools to create strong internal controls which minimize risk and safeguard the company and hotel owners’ assets. The individual uses strong audit skills and finance knowledge to constantly monitor trends in various countries and markets to identify opportunities and threats to compliance. This individual works with significant independence but will partner with the continent, regional and area teams to identify control weaknesses and present recommendations to financial leaders. S/he will also provide support in investigations. This position reports to the Senior Vice President of Finance and the Vice President, Business Finance & Administration.
- Develops objectives and plans consistent with the objectives and priorities as indicated by senior management. Develops and/or enhances audit tools and reviews the internal controls within the region.
- Conducts property visits across the continent to assess internal controls in areas which include: Cash, Balance Sheet Certifications, Property Self Audits, Purchasing, Payroll and other accounting processes and key control initiatives and policies as directed.
- Partners with senior management and works with the Area Directors of Finance to identify and prioritize properties that should be reviewed by the Compliance Team.
- Partners with other discipline heads to seek alignment and shared ownership for non-financial related internal controls.
- Ensures that accounting and self-audit principles and policies are followed, and trains hotels about the adequacy and effectiveness of internal accounting procedures, operating systems, financial policy compliance and overall controls.
- Participates in meetings as required by leadership.
- Develops plans to ensure satisfactory weakness resolution and collaborates with properties and ADOFs to resolve weaknesses in a timely manner.
- Confers with Company management on opportunities to improve policies, programs, tracking and follow up activities of the continent; makes recommendations regarding specific areas of responsibility. Ensures consistent treatment and resolution of issues.
- Meets with Company management at all levels to discuss audit plans and results and make recommendations to resolve findings requiring corrective action.
- Works closely with Internal Audit to follow-up on issues and recommendations resulting from property and regional audits, and develops plans to improve overall control environment. Collaborates with Internal Audit and global Managers of Internal Control to share and leverage best practices on audit plans, audit checklists and tools, internal control matters, policy and procedure recommendations, etc.
- Trains property teams on control environment enhancements and share best practices within and between regions.
- Reviews tracking of audit results through Quickbase (or other designated audit tool) and reports out to Regional management regularly on the status of all property self-audits in the region. Identifies properties that have not met audit completion goals or who are not properly using the audit tool to report audit scores and document action plans and audit deficiencies.
- Leads and provides guidance to remote team members
- Provides support to the Continent Fraud Committee’s investigation process and helps to resolve cases when required.
- Advises on Adhoc requests
Knowledge and Skills
- Strong audit and system skills as well as process thinking.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles, procedures, and techniques of accounting, and of financial records and transactions including, but not limited to, generally accepted accounting principals.
- Developed accounting, finance and analytical skills including experience with cash management, forecasting, revenue management strategies, long-term capital expenditures planning and project management skills.
- Demonstrates ability to evaluate business trends to influence business strategies.
- Resourceful in resolving issues and solving problems, leveraging resources to get results.
- Translates business needs into what needs to get done; ensures that all work is completed effectively; maintains high performance standard; works effectively by using a highly collaborative style.
- Creates an atmosphere in which timely information flows smoothly both upward and downward through the organization; possesses exceptional communication and presentation skills.
- Supports, manages and initiates change within the organization, taking steps to remove barriers or to accelerate its pace.
- Actively pursues learning and self-development to enhance personal, professional and business growth; shares learning.
- Knowledge of overall hotel operations and governances.
- Ability to work independently and take initiative; strong time management skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to negotiate and influence others at all levels, including senior management.
- Effective decision-making skills; can choose a prompt course of action amongst options involving uncertainty or risk.
- Strong problem-solving skills; encourages new innovative solutions when appropriate.
- Ability to build consensus amongst various stakeholders with competing priorities.
- Effective change management skills.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
Minimum Job Specifications
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance or a related field;
- CPA or CFE
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in auditing/controls
- Supervisory experience required
- Ability to travel approximately 50%
- Excellent English skills
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.