Claims Adjuster I
Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 20021601
Job Category Finance and Accounting
Location Marriott International HQ, 10400 Fernwood Road, Bethesda, Maryland, United States VIEW ON MAP
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
A Claims Adjuster I is responsible for the timely, good faith adjustment and disposition of self-administered casualty claims in multiple jurisdictions. Responsibility extends to all aspects and phases of investigations, evaluations, negotiations and settlements/denials of the following claims: workers’ compensation, auto liability, no-fault uninsured motorist and general liability.
- Manage 75 -150 casualty claims on assignment.
- Acceptable caseloads vary based on the jurisdiction(s), mix and complexity of Worker’s Compensation and General Liability cases as determined by Claims Unit Manager.
- Investigate, evaluate and dispose of claims promptly – taking statements as necessary – to determine liability/compensability.
- Evaluate damages and pay benefits as prescribed by law and/or Marriott policies and procedures.
- Secure necessary documentation to facilitate timely loss adjustment and maintain primary responsibility for settlement decisions up to individual authority.
- Complete and monitor timely WC payments/state filings.
- Monitor and actively manage WC medical treatment with the goal of minimizing disability. Consult Occupational Health Services as necessary.
- Participate in the Service Call program and complete required Service Call reports detailing current case status.
- Evaluate claims for potential third party or subrogation recovery.
- Actively participate in regularly scheduled unit meetings and department meetings.
- Comply with Marriott Casualty Claims Policy and Procedure Manual requirements.
- Comply with Marriott’s Corporate Policy Manual.
- Effectively utilize the Valley Oaks System (iVOS) to manage all claims electronically.
- Enter action plan notes/website notes into iVOS.
- Participate in activities that foster teamwork and continuous quality improvement.
- Entry-level position. Demonstrated track record as a claims representative and/or demonstration of skills and potential to be a claims adjuster.
- Effective reasoning, analysis and decision making skills.
- Effective influence skills.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Strong organization skills.
- Strong hospitality skills.
- Ability to prioritize work.
- Ability to meet deadlines and follow up in a timely manner.
- Good communication skills (verbal, listening, writing), including the ability to deliver difficult messages to customers and/or claimants.
- Good investigation skills.
- Basic knowledge of claims process.
- Strong computer skills.
- Ability to work well in a team, providing assistance to fellow associates and representing the mission of the unit, department or region.
- Possess a willingness to accept and respond positively to constructive criticism.
- Present oneself with a positive, professional demeanor.
- Communicate often with supervisor keeping him/her informed.
- Show dependability.
Education or Certification
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Two or four year degree from an accredited college/business/technical school preferred.
- Applicable industry licensing.