Corporate Counsel - Development
Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 20020388
Job Category Legal
Location Europe Office - London, Barnard's Inn, 86 Fetter Lane, London, Greater London, United Kingdom VIEW ON MAP
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
Marriott International is the world’s largest hotel company, with more brands, more hotels and more opportunities for associates to grow and succeed. We believe a great career is a journey of discovery and exploration. So, we ask, where will your journey take you?
The Marriott International Law Department supports the Company's lodging business. The Europe offices provide legal services for development and lodging operations of all Marriott and Starwood-branded lodging products in Europe. This position will report to the Vice President & Senior Counsel Development. The preferred location of this position is London or Eschborn.
This position will be responsible for providing legal advice and guidance to support owned, leased, franchised, managed, residential and mixed-use development projects throughout Europe, including drafting and negotiating management and franchise agreements, residential licensing and management agreements, leases, purchase and sale contracts, and guarantees.
The work principally takes the form of providing commercial transactional support and providing legal guidance on a variety of development matters where knowledge of hotel and mixed-use development, Marriott's strategic objectives, various hotel-related disciplines, and certain legal subjects is essential.
This position will require an ability to deal with a broad array of topics, including real estate development, debt and equity financing, guarantees, joint ventures, residential licensing, mergers and acquisitions, risk-management, employment, and tax. Familiarity with real estate acquisitions and dispositions, mixed use developments, financing and development techniques and practices is preferred. This position will require an independent and creative attorney with the ability to manage, structure, negotiate, draft and execute multiple complex transactions; draft hotel management, lease, franchise, residential licensing and related agreements; supervise outside counsel; understand and resolve local law issues; manage project budgets; work effectively with owners, franchisees, developers and lenders across varied cultures and legal environments, and coordinate employment, tax, insurance, risk management, intellectual property, and construction issues within Marriott.
• The attorney must be fluent in English and have an excellent academic record (both undergraduate and law school), at least 5 years of law firm or equivalent experiences; additional language skills desirable. If licensed in the United States, then active US Bar membership is required, otherwise, a practicing certificate from an appropriate jurisdiction is required
• Committed to maintaining the highest ethical standards and acting with integrity
• Experience with franchising or hotel management agreements preferred
• Experience with complex real estate transactions, financings, and joint ventures, including a substantial proportion of cross-border transactions
• Solid contract drafting and negotiating skills and ability to think strategically both from a business and legal perspective
• Ability to work independently, take ownership of and effectively resolve problems
• Ability to expeditiously identify and assess issues and provide legally sound recommendations consistent with good business practices and reason
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to interact effectively, work diplomatically, and foster relationships with individuals at all levels
• Strong conflict management skills
• Solid organizational and time management skills
• Professional presence and approach; balanced judgment and poise under pressure
• Self-starter with a high degree of resourcefulness and high energy, drive, and enthusiasm for work
• Ability to work in a fast paced environment and handle multiple competing priorities
• Focused learner; proactively pursues opportunities to build skills and expertise
• Flexibility to travel.
PERSONAL COMPETENCIES (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Other Attributes)
The attorney selected for this position will provide legal services to support development projects throughout Europe, including:
- Provide advice on proposed transactions with respect to confidentiality agreements, structuring the transaction, letters of intent, and trade area restrictions
- Draft and negotiate management and franchise agreements, residential licensing and management agreements, guarantees, and related agreements and coordinate various conversion matters on the takeover of existing properties
- Draft and negotiate purchase and sale agreements, leases, development agreements and ownership structuring agreements, including joint venture, condominium, and finance documentation; draft and negotiate documents involved with mixed-use developments, multi-unit refinancings, sale/leaseback, and sale/manage back transactions
- Handle legal due diligence, coordinate with other members of the development team, understand and resolve local law issues, draft and negotiate closing documents, oversee closings, and follow up on post-closing matters
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.