Senior Manager, Data Science Partner & Analysis
Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 20006247
Job Category Sales and Marketing
Location Marriott International HQ, 10400 Fernwood Road, Bethesda, Maryland, United States VIEW ON MAP
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
The Sr. Manager, Data Science Partner& Analysis will serve as a key point person for the delivery teams providing additional context to ensure high quality, credible analyses and reports for his or her assigned discipline within Marriott. The Sr. Manager will collaborate with senior team leaders and peers to understand the business need or requirements for data or information and then work to create new or modify existing analysis to deliver against those needs. The Sr. Manager will be responsible for providing subject matter expertise in customer data and analysis to the Director, Data Science Partner Analysis to support the work intake & prioritization process. The Sr. Manager, may be called upon to partner with IT, the Data Domain Management & Engineering team to manage and improve existing customer data and reporting. The Sr. Manager should have a passion for how data and analysis can drive business strategy and better business decisions as well as maintain a vision for how to leverage data to tell a story
This position is part of the broader CX Analytics team, which is charged with developing and utilizing state-of-the-art analytic approaches to generate business intelligence about customer attitudes and behaviors across all customer-facing touch points along the B2C and B2B customer journeys.
- 4-year degree from an accredited university in Computer Science, Information Technology, Engineering, Operations Research, Business or Math or other quantitative discipline.
- 5-7 years’ experience in sales analysis, marketing analysis, revenue management, financial analysis or a related technical discipline
- Advanced degree in operations research, applied mathematics, statistics, economics, and engineering etc., preferred.
- 5-7 years SQL experience required
- Experience with Python or R or SAS is a plus
- Strong data analysis skills and experience, including querying and manipulation of large quantities of data
- Experience with MicroStrategy and Cognos reporting platforms is a plus
- Experience with Tableau is a plus
- Experience with Python or R or SAS is a plus
- Working knowledge of Adobe Analytics (SiteCatalyst) and Google Analytics preferred
- Advanced working knowledge of Excel and Microsoft Access
- Data modeling and software development experience is a plus
- Experience with statistical analysis, business intelligence, and data mining tools is a plus
- Experience with multiple data warehouse platforms (Netezza, Oracle, DB2, Hadoop) is a plus
- Familiarity with Marriott systems (MRDW, SGI, Rewards, SFA, NGS, PMS, MARSHA, OY) is a plus
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Attention to detail and strong organizational skills
- Strong dedication to data integrity and quality control
- Strong people and team management skills
- Initiative to solve problems as they arise
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team, as well as independently
- Ability to handle complex work with little supervision
- Proven track record for innovation and applying new technologies to solve problems
- Ability to communicate effectively with associates having business or technical backgrounds
- Ability to articulate clearly and present complex issues to associates at all organizational levels
- Supports Marriott Reporting needs by:
- Developing new reports and information processes using SAS, Cognos, Microsoft Excel, Tableau, etc.
- Develops or maintains scorecards to report on out system performance and drive results
- Maintaining and managing existing reporting and data processes
- Managing metadata and business processes
- Automating reporting and business processes to reduce cost and improve efficiency
- Implementing processes and procedures to improve the quality of data in Marriott systems
- Partnering with Business Analytics peers to answer business questions raised by leadership
- Creating solutions to enable self-service analysis of customer data
- Represents the CX Reporting and Analytics Team as a participant on related reporting projects and task forces as appropriate
- Participates in the intake and prioritization process for the CX Analytics and Reporting teams as a SME on specific data sets and sets of reports
- Participates in defining the data and reporting strategy for BMSC and works with IT to implement that strategy
- Performs a consultative role in working with constituent groups within the greater Marriott organization
- Anticipates present and future information needs of BMSC and determines what technologies are available to Marriott to best meet those needs
- Provide management and guidance for a team of associates and contractors tasked with delivering reporting work
- Partner with the PMO and Director, Data Science Partner to provide staffing information for team in support of work scheduling activities
- Participate in recruiting, hiring and retaining top talent in the data analytics field
- Manages small software development projects and provides support to larger scale departmental initiatives
- Responds to, solves and makes decisions on more complex/non-routine business requests with limited to moderate supervision
- Provides training and technical guidance to less senior staff, where appropriate, and serving as point-of-contact for problem resolution
- Provides project support (requirements gathering, technical documentation, testing, training, etc.) for larger BMSC initiatives
- Supports Data Governance initiatives
- Adaptability – Maintains performance level under pressure or when experiencing changes or challenges in the workplace.
- Communication – Conveys information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner through a variety of methods.
- Problem Solving and Decision Making - Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; obtains and compares information from different sources to draw conclusions, develops and evaluates alternatives and solutions, solves problems, and chooses a course of action.
- Professional Demeanor - Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
- Strategy Development - Develops business plans by exploring and systematically evaluating opportunities with the greatest potential for producing positive results; ensures successful preparation and execution of business plans through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
- Building and Contributing to Teams - Participates as a member of a team to move toward the completion of common goals while fostering cohesion and collaboration among team members.
- Strategy Execution – Ensures successful execution across of business plans designed to maximize customer satisfaction, profitability, and market share through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
- Driving for Results - Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required.
- Planning and Organizing - Gathers information and resources required to set a plan of action for self and/or others; prioritizes and arranges work requirements to accomplish goals and ensure work is completed.
- Building Relationships
- Customer Relationships - Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer/stakeholder needs and actions consistent with the company’s service standards.
- Coworker Relationships - Interacts with others in a way that builds openness, trust, and confidence in the pursuit of organizational goals and lasting relationships.
- Global Mindset - Supports employees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
- Organizational Capability - Evaluates and adapts the structure of assignments and work processes to best fit the needs and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
- Talent Management - Provides support and feedback to help individuals develop and strengthen skills and abilities needed to accomplish work
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise
- Applied Learning - Seeks and makes the most of learning opportunities to improve performance of self and/or others.
- Business Acumen - Understands and utilizes business information to manage everyday operations and generate innovative solutions to approach business and administrative challenges.
- Technical Acumen - Understands and utilizes professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges.
- Strong to expert SQL skills for both data extraction and for designing flexible data/ETL structures.
- Experience in working with and designing snowflake data schemas with high volumes and high cardinality data in multiple operating environments.
- Experience with different database and reporting platforms to create short term, medium term, and long term reporting solutions.
- Strong interpersonal skills and be able to work well with non-technical and technical audiences, clearly communicating project needs, risks, delays, and outcomes to all levels of the organization.
- Strong desire to solve business problems using data driven solutions.
- Experience working with high volume, highly complex data structures and/or web analytics data implementations are encouraged to apply
- Project management, project estimating, verbal and written communications, business and technical documentation.
Basic Competencies - Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities.
- Basic Computer Skills - Uses basic computer hardware and software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software, Internet browsers, etc.).
- Mathematical Reasoning - Adds, subtracts, multiplies, or divides quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows one to solve work-related issues.
- Oral Comprehension - Listens to and understands information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Reading Comprehension – Understands written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Writing - Communicates effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.