Vice President, Communications, Asia Pacific
Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 20000267
Job Category Public Relations & Communications
Location Asia/Pacif/Australia Region, Suite 1108 11th Floor Cityplaza One, Hong Kong S.A.R., Hong Kong, Hong Kong S.A.R. VIEW ON MAP
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
The Vice President, Communications – Asia Pacific is responsible for developing and executing strategic media relations and communication plans for the Marriott International portfolio of brands in the Asia Pacific continent and related communication plans for the Asia Pacific Executive Leadership team.
As Marriott International continues aggressive growth, the VP of Communications is a key position focused on achieving positive awareness for the company in the Asia Pacific continent; promoting brand distinction, portfolio power and growth; reaching new / younger customer segments; and building Marriott’s corporate reputation. This position will play an important role in fully integrating media relations into the continent sales and marketing strategy, Social Impact strategy as well as operations and regional development goals and also activating individual brand strategies and initiatives in the continent.
The VP, Communications Asia Pacific will oversee management of internal and external media relations resources, be responsible for interfacing with and developing relationships with key media in the continent and have direct line management/responsibility for the continent Communications team. This position is a key liaison with the Global Communications & Public Affairs department and partners closely with the Corporate Communications, Media Relations, and Social Impact teams. This position will also collaborate, be closely aligned, and provide ongoing strategic continent communications support to the Global Brand, Buzz Marketing and Consumer Public Relations Corporate office departments in the Asia Pacific Continent, this position will partner with the Continent Brand, Sales, Digital, Loyalty, Partnership and Portfolio Marketing leads, as well as collaborate with Operations and HR departments to support key Continent initiatives.
• The position will need to direct media relations in support of all Consumer Operations functions, luxury and lifestyle and premium and select brands within the Asia Pacific continent
• Number of direct reports: 5
• Control or influence budget (Y or N): Yes -- control
• As the footprint of hotels expands, it is essential to build broad awareness for the full Marriott portfolio, corporate reputation and culture to help develop brand loyalty and to attract talent.
• The position will serve as a key internal communications liaison with the company’s Internal Communications function at Corporate to ensure pull through of enterprise-wide communications initiatives and messaging in key communications channels, speeches and other venues.
• The position will support Global and Continent Brand and Marketing initiatives and Loyalty/promotions to drive awareness and revenue.
• The position will be based in Hong Kong.
Education and Experience Required
• B.A., or equivalent in Public Relations / Communications / Marketing
• 7 to 10 years of senior level media or public relations, marketing communications and corporate communications experience, preferably within the travel / hospitality sector
• Strong knowledge of hospitality industry
• Demonstrated ability to manage the interests and demands of multiple stakeholders
• Regional working experience with some language skills preferred
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Balanced Scorecard Results: Develops strategies and executes initiatives to drive customer awareness, financial results, guest satisfaction and market share.
• Drive revenue and improve profitability through communications initiatives that drive increased awareness and generate bookings.
• Lead APAC media relations efforts for the region to drive awareness, preference and long-term customer loyalty.
• Drive associate satisfaction by providing public relations resources and training.
• Develop effective partnerships with properties to provide public relations resources that help to create value for both owners and Marriott International.
• Create programs that generate publicity and enhance the guest experience.
• Utilize a thorough understanding of the lodging business (hotel operation, industry drivers, challenges, competitors, MI’s position in the global marketplace) and cutting edge public and media relations trends to unveil opportunities for growth and increased market share.
• Leverage public relations to attract owners / developers and help achieve growth goals.
Public Relations Planning
• Collaborate with Continent Leadership VPs, and the Chief Sales and Marketing Officer to set direction for public relations programs including the development and implementation of annual comprehensive public relations and media relations plan and calendar to support the business objectives of the region.
• The position will lead the APAC continent’s PR, media relations, and Communications strategy and play a key role as a public relations liaison between the company’s Global Brand, and Consumer PR teams and the Continent’s Brand, Marketing and Public Relations teams to align global strategies and pull through brand and portfolio initiatives into the continent.
• Align and fully leverage appropriate programs and initiatives -- including corporate news, brand campaigns and community relations programs.
• Direct public relations in support of all luxury and lifestyle and premium and select brands within the continent
• Support and direct CSR Manager to develop a robust Social Impact program. Support the program with a comprehensive PR strategy and plan. Liaison with Corporate Social Impact team and align objectives with Serve 360 goals.
• Ability to identity trends and uncover publicity worthy stories from a portfolio of hotels.
• Manage and provide direction to public relations agencies to result in increased/targeted PR
• Provide feedback to brand/corporate PR in regard to key initiatives and objectives for the APAC continent.
• Cultivate relationships with targeted media outlets to generate positive media coverage, elevate brand awareness and preference to achieve coverage in high-end lifestyle, consumer travel, business news, travel, hotel trade, and online/blogger media.
• Partner and align with the Corporate Media Relations team to establish pull-through via APAC messaging and ensure alignment to overall Corporate messaging.
• Work with targeted media to generate hotel visits including coordination of press trips.
• Uses creative selling abilities to obtain maximum media exposure.
• Secure media interviews for senior executives to increase visibility/leadership position in the region and support with Executive profiling.
• Monitor and measure results, including media impressions and value via monthly status reports and competitive monitoring updates.
Cluster/Hotel PR Support
• Guide and mentor on property or above property PR professionals.
• Conduct public relations training and provide resource materials, tools and templates with a focus on compliance brand PR guidelines/initiatives and creative PR strategies.
• Develops and manages relationships with hotel PR directors/managers, providing them with opportunities for media exposure.
• Assists clusters, opening and key priority hotels in the development of PR messaging/press materials.
• Consults with new hotels on pre-opening public relations including grand opening event management.
• Team with field marketing and sales to maximize messaging pull-through, including participation in trade shows.
• Share news from Continent with internal communications teams at corporate.
• The position will serve as a key APAC internal communications liaison with the company’s Corporate Internal Communications function to ensure pull through of enterprise-wide communications initiatives and messaging in key communications channels, speeches and other venues.
• Develop social media PR initiatives to drive outreach to online communities and influencers.
• Create awareness building opportunities utilizing search engine optimization to drive traffic to Marriott.com channels throughout the APAC continent.
• Work with development to announce new hotels in the continent including writing of press releases and pitching to media.
• Leverage hotel openings to create awareness for Marriott’s growth, diverse portfolio of brands and leadership in the continent
Crisis Communications/Issues Management
• Manage crisis issues, including assisting individual properties and serving as the region’s crisis communications lead. Liaison with Crisis function within Corporate Media Relations team.
• Manage special event activities including grand openings, press conferences, media briefings and press trips.
• Support brand “halo” hotel grand openings.
• Draft talking points/speeches for CSMO and Continent Executives participating in special events.
• Communication - Conveys information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner through a variety of methods.
• Leading Through Vision and Values - Keeps the organization's vision and values at the forefront of employee decision making and action.
• Managing Change - Initiates and/or manages the change process and energizes it on an ongoing basis, taking steps to remove barriers or accelerate its pace; serves as role model for how to handle change by maintaining composure and performance level under pressure or when experiencing challenges.
• Problem Solving and Decision Making - Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; obtains and compares information from different sources to draw conclusions, develops and evaluates alternatives and solutions, solves problems, and chooses a course of action.
• Professional Demeanor - Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
• Strategy Development - Develops business plans by exploring and systematically evaluating opportunities with the greatest potential for producing positive results; ensures successful preparation and execution of business plans through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
• Building a Successful Team - Uses an effective interpersonal style to build a cohesive team; inspires and sustains team cohesion and engagement by focusing the team on its mission and importance to the organization.
• Strategy Execution – Ensures successful execution across of business plans designed to maximize customer satisfaction, profitability, and market share through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
• Driving for Results - Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required.
• Customer Relationships - Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer/stakeholder needs and actions consistent with the company’s service standards.
• Global Mindset - Supports employees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
• Strategic Partnerships - Develops collaborative relationships with fellow employees and business partners by making them feel valued, appreciated, and included; explores partnership opportunities with other people in and outside the organization; influences and leverages corporate and continental shared services and/or discipline leaders (e.g., HR, Sales & Marketing, Finance, Revenue Management) to achieve objectives; maintains effective external relations with government, business and industry in respective countries; performs effectively as a liaison between locations, disciplines, and corporate to ensure needed resources are received and corporate strategies are understood and executed.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
• Developing Others - Plans and supports the development of others’ skills and capabilities so that they can fulfill current or future job/role responsibilities more effectively; provides high visibility to individuals with potential; offers challenging assignments that build confidence and credibility and provides such individuals with a personal vision for their future.
• Organizational Capability - Evaluates and adapts the structure of assignments and work processes to best fit the needs and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise
• Business Acumen - Understands and utilizes business information to manage everyday operations and generate innovative solutions to approach business and administrative challenges.
• Technical Acumen - Understands and utilizes professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges.
o Demonstrates working knowledge of discipline-specific systems, tools, and business practices.
• Continuous Learning - Actively identifies new areas for learning; regularly creates and takes advantage of learning opportunities; uses newly gained knowledge and skill on the job and learns through their application.
• Strategy Knowledge - Understanding and utilizing professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific strategic work challenges.
Basic Competencies - Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities.
• Basic Computer Skills - Uses basic computer hardware and software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software, Internet browsers, etc.).
• Mathematical Reasoning - Adds, subtracts, multiplies, or divides quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows one to solve work-related issues.
• Oral Comprehension - Listens to and understands information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
• Reading Comprehension - Understands written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
• Writing - Communicates effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
• Skill and proven experience in creating strategic public relations and media campaigns
• Strong knowledge of brand public relations with skills in media relations, press writing, special events, speech writing
• Ability to foster relationships with media resulting in positive press coverage – print, electronic, social media
• Leadership skills in multiple team environments
• Strategic and creative thinker with the ability to thrive in fast-paced environment
• Ability to build confidence, influence, and promote ideas to diverse constituencies (i.e. Media, Marriott Continent teams, corporate headquarters staff, hotel management, franchisee/owners representatives, public relations agencies, etc.)
• Ability to make compelling presentations
• Excellent written, verbal, and listening skills
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
• Excellent skills in event planning and implementation
• High energy and enthusiasm
• Ability to successfully handle many diverse projects and constituencies simultaneously
• Crisis communications experience
• Ability to travel internationally
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.