Sr. Manager, Advanced Data Science
Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 19166338
Job Category Sales and Marketing
Location Marriott International HQ, 10400 Fernwood Road, Bethesda, Maryland, United States VIEW ON MAP
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
Are you passionate about the power of big data, AI and machine learning to drive customer value? Do you enjoy maneuvering complex data sets to build elegant machine learning models? Do you go beyond building models to ensure they are actionable? Do you list Python or R as one of the languages you speak?!
Marriott, the world’s largest hotel company, is seeking someone like you to help enhance data science capabilities to drive customer engagement and value with the personalized experience. This role entails outstanding business to technical translation, structured yet creative thinking, cross-functional collaboration, hands-on model development and operationalization. This role is part of a highly visible team that is tasked with growth acceleration and reinventing customer experience for Marriott. This role will be responsible for bringing the newest analysis tools, external best practices and innovative techniques to an existing team of data-savvy analysts. The Sr. Manager will help to evangelize the adoption of advanced analytics techniques foster a culture built on the “power of data” for the rest of the organization.
- Develop and evolve applications of advanced analytics and predictive modeling by incessantly bringing external best practices and trends into an existing team of data-savvy analysts
- Evangelize adoption of advanced analytics and data-driven thinking in Marriott culture
- Work effectively with stakeholders to understand ambiguous business problems, assess data needs, develop/maintain best suited models and help/strategize deploying them in production
- Master of Science from an accredited university in Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Data Science, Economics, Statistics, Operations Research, Engineering or other quantitative discipline
- 4+ years’ experience as a quantitative Data Analyst/Data Scientist or a related role with domain knowledge in customer, marketing and digital personalization. PhD with less years’ experience also considered. Proven track record of developing, scaling and implementing machine learning models in customer facing environments.
- Strong programming skills: Python, R along with stellar visualization and persuasive story telling
Tools knowledge you need
- Python, R, SQL
- Jupyter Notebook
- Git, Jira
Technical Skills and Discipline Expertise
- Strong desire to solve business problems using data and machine-learning/AI based solutions. Demonstrated ability to find creative solutions to complex and challenging analytical problems.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well with non-technical and technical audiences. Ability to explain complex information in a way easily understood by a non-technical audience. Demonstrated track record of generating insight through analysis and presenting the information in a manner which impacts key strategy or investment decisions.
- Ability to work as a team member to achieve results in a teamwork environment.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
- Provide machine learning models for complex multi-channel programs, platform evaluations, and strategic planning
- Develop and manage KPIs and analytics to monitor and manage the health of the full customer ecosystem
- Lead the development and evaluation of algorithms that support Marriott’s “Customer Decision Engine” that drives personalization across all customer touch points
- Prepares report summaries/presentations to communicate findings from analysis to senior management at Marriott corporate headquarters, regional offices, and individual hotels.
- Presents analyses in a way that the information needs for stakeholders are appropriately prioritized, delivered timely and accurate.
Collaborate across Customer Experience and Brand, Marketing, Sales, and Consumer Services (BMSC) Discipline and Continent Teams.
- Perform complex analytics projects across broad set of stakeholders, clearly aligning on business and data needs, managing expectations, and delivering results in a timely manner.
- Provide business-minded analytics and modeling support, both working well with data and demonstrating strong business acumen
- Partner with the broader Customer Experience Analytics team, including Digital & Distribution and Marketing, Loyalty, and Media Analytics, to support the mission of the CX Analytics team
- Provides guidance to Data Management and Reporting Teams on the creation and distribution of reports and dashboards for field and corporate stakeholders.
- Support teams within BMSC and Continent organizations in their efforts to leverage systems, technologies, and tools.
- Collaborates in setting overall department analytic standards and policies, representing the perspective of globally-applicable and customizable analytic approaches that meet the needs of the business.
- Marshals internal data management, reporting, analytic and research resources and, when appropriate, selects and manages external suppliers, ensuring timely, on-budget delivery on expectations.
- Identifies and pilots innovative analytic and modeling techniques.
- Keeps up-to-date technically and is a role model for the application new domain knowledge to the job.
- Adaptability - Maintains performance level under pressure or when experiencing changes or challenges in the workplace.
- Communication - Conveys information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner through a variety of methods.
- Problem Solving and Decision Making - Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; obtains and compares information from different sources to draw conclusions, develops and evaluates alternatives and solutions, solves problems, and chooses a course of action.
- Professional Demeanor - Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
- Building and Contributing to Teams - Participates as a member of a team to move toward the completion of common goals while fostering cohesion and collaboration among team members.
- Driving for Results - Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required.
- Planning and Organizing - Gathers information and resources required to set a plan of action for self and/or others; prioritizes and arranges work requirements to accomplish goals and ensure work is completed.
- Coworker Relationships - Interacts with others in a way that builds openness, trust, and confidence in the pursuit of organizational goals and lasting relationships.
- Customer Relationships - Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer/stakeholder needs and actions consistent with the company’s service standards.
- Global Mindset - Supports employees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
- Organizational Capability - Evaluates and adapts the structure of assignments and work processes to best fit the needs and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
- Talent Management - Provides guidance and feedback to help individuals develop and strengthen skills and abilities needed to accomplish work objectives.
- Applied Learning - Seeks and makes the most of learning opportunities to improve performance of self and/or others.
- Business Acumen - Understands and utilizes business information to manage everyday operations and generate innovative solutions to approach business and administrative challenges.
- Technical Acumen - Understands and utilizes professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges
- Basic Competencies - Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities.
- Basic Computer Skills - Uses basic computer hardware and software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software, Internet browsers, etc.).
- Mathematical Reasoning - Adds, subtracts, multiplies, or divides quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows one to solve work-related issues.
- Oral Comprehension - Listens to and understands information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Reading Comprehension - Understands written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Writing - Communicates effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.