Manager, Data Science Advanced Analytics
Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 19165108
Job Category Sales and Marketing
Location Marriott International HQ, 10400 Fernwood Road, Bethesda, Maryland, United States VIEW ON MAP
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
Are you passionate about the power of big data to drive customer value? Do you enjoy maneuvering complex data sets to build elegant statistical models? Do you go beyond building models to ensure they are actionable? Do you list Python or R as one of the languages you speak?!
Marriott, the world’s largest hotel company, is seeking someone like you to help enhance data science capabilities to drive customer engagement and value with the personalized experience. This position is part of specialized team of Data Scientists collaborating on projects that may support any number of business areas within Marriott. Projects could include the creation of predictive models, complex statistical analyses as well as Machine Learning driven strategies.
- Bachelor’s degree or Master’s degree from an accredited university in in Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Data Science, Economics, Statistics, Operations Research, Engineering or other quantitative discipline
- 2+ years’ experience as a quantitative Data Analyst/Data Scientist or a related role with domain knowledge in customer, marketing and digital personalization. Master’s degree with less years’ experience but with strong machine learning/AI concentration also considered. Proven track record of developing, scaling and implementing statistical models in customer facing environments
- Strong programming skills: R, Python along with stellar visualization and persuasive story telling
- Python, R, SQL
- Jupyter Notebook
- Git, Jira
- Participates in major data science projects
- Brings working knowledge of latest techniques and technologies to advance the machine learning capabilities of Marriott
- Mines large data sets (billions of rows) for insights and recommendations
- Participates in projects to build predictive and prescriptive models
- Partners with peers and leaders on the team to ensure insights are clearly communicated to project stakeholders
- Creates compelling visualizations to influence leaders and business decisions.
- Shares data modeling knowledge and expertise in support of Business as Usual projects and analysis when required
- Provide machine learning models for complex multi-channel programs, platform evaluations, and strategic planning
- Participate in the development and evaluation of algorithms that support Marriott’s “Customer Decision Engine” that drives personalization across all customer touch points
- Marshals internal data management, reporting, analytic and research resources and, when appropriate, selects and manages external suppliers, ensuring timely, on-budget delivery on expectations.
- Identifies and pilots innovative analytic and modeling techniques.
- Keeps up-to-date technically and is a role model for the application new domain knowledge to the job.
Collaborate across Customer Experience and Brand, Marketing, Sales, and Consumer Services (BMSC) Discipline and Continent Teams.
- Perform complex analytics projects across broad set of stakeholders, clearly aligning on business and data needs, managing expectations, and delivering results in a timely manner.
- Provide business-minded analytics and modeling support, both working well with data and demonstrating strong business acumen
- Partner with the broader Customer Experience Analytics team, including Digital & Distribution and Marketing, Loyalty, and Media Analytics, to support the mission of the CX Analytics team
- Provides guidance to Data Management and Reporting Teams on the creation and distribution of reports and dashboards for field and corporate stakeholders.
- Support teams within BMSC and Continent organizations in their efforts to leverage systems, technologies, and tools.
- Collaborates in setting overall department analytic standards and policies, representing the perspective of globally-applicable and customizable analytic approaches that meet the needs of the business.
- Provide information to supervisors and co-workers in a timely manner.
- Demonstrate self-confidence, energy, and enthusiasm.
- Inform and/or update leaders on relevant information in a timely manner.
- Manage time effectively and conduct activities in an organized manner.
- Present ideas, expectations, and information in a concise, organized manner.
- Use problem solving methodology for decision making and follow-up.
- Perform other reasonable duties as assigned by manager.
- Builds credibility with others and encourages strong working relationships.
- Creates a work environment in which others feel comfortable sharing thoughts and feedback.
- Shows awareness of how own behavior impacts others and the work environment.
- Encourages others to work together.
- Models and empowers others to anticipate and respond to customer/stakeholder preferences and feedback.
- Clearly explains policies in ways that create strong customer/stakeholder relationships.
- Monitors customer/stakeholder satisfaction and takes appropriate action.
- Resolves customer/stakeholder issues and concerns raised by others.
- Creates an environment where everyone is valued and included.
- Models and coaches others on representing the Company culture of service, opportunity, respect, and fair treatment.
- Acts when others are treated unfairly or are not valued and respected for their unique skills.
- Looks for and uses ideas and opinions from diverse sources.
- Attracts, develops, and retains a multicultural and multigenerational workforce.
- Gives all associates the opportunity to achieve their full potential.
- Organizes activities that promote inclusion.
- Maintains an awareness of changing customer/stakeholder and associate characteristics.
- Ensures the work is organized so it can be effectively completed.
- Continuously improves work processes.
- Brings together the appropriate mix of associate knowledge and skills to complete work.
- Coaches others on scope of technical decision‐making authority.
- Uses meetings and other forums to regularly communicate status of work.
- Provides, seeks, and acts on constructive feedback.
- Develops others by identifying needs and providing resources in area of expertise.
- Uses professional networks to attract top talent in area of expertise.
- Participates in the hiring process and ensures successful on‐boarding of new associates.
- Models and coaches others on staying calm and focused during stressful situations.
- Communicates to others why change is happening and how it impacts their work.
- Models flexibility when managing multiple demands and changing priorities.
- Provides resources that help others deal with change and challenges.
- Adjusts team and own priorities when experiencing change or challenges.
- Determines how change impacts stakeholders and communicates concerns to leadership.
- Clearly presents complex information using different methods.
- Adapts communication style based on the audience.
- Demonstrates active listening to ensure understanding.
- Models and coaches others on appropriately interpreting verbal and non‐verbal behavior.
- Models and coaches others on displaying professionalism and gaining respect from others.
- Identifies issues and makes suggestions to solve complex problems affecting daily work.
- Models and coaches others on breaking complex issues into manageable parts.
- Looks for and shares information with others before making a decision.
- Models and coaches others on identifying and evaluating alternatives and their implications before making decisions.
- Involves and gains agreement from others when making key decisions.
- Makes complex decisions and works with others to implement solutions in reasonable amount of time.
- Sets own career goals and identifies developmental areas for self and others.
- Uses resources and challenging assignments to improve performance of self and others.
- Gathers, shares, and uses information about industry and discipline trends and best practices.
- Budgets for training to support associate development, as applicable.
- Coaches and holds others accountable for professional growth.
- Ensures others understand how their work impacts property and team performance.
- Coaches others on the drivers of performance and their impact on key business and property metrics.
- Shows an understanding of how different customer/stakeholder groups have different revenue potential.
- Identifies innovative ways to improve, productivity, customer/stakeholder satisfaction, and profitability.
- Maintains advanced technical knowledge and skills and models their use for others.
- Models and promotes the appropriate use of facilities, equipment, and materials to perform the job.
- Demonstrates and shares expertise in policies, procedures, and legal requirements.
- Manages and completes complex technical assignments and coaches others on solving advanced technical issues.
- Demonstrates and reinforces technical standards and processes to support work requirements.
- Identifies innovative technical approaches and communicates how they can improve processes or business functioning.
- Promotes teamwork by explaining how each associate supports shared goals.
- Builds commitment to team goals by explaining how they support department and property success.
- Works with team members to solve issues and make decisions that impact them.
- Manages disagreements among team members.
- Recognizes department, team, and individual achievements.
- Creates a team environment that encourages accountability, high standards, and innovation.
- Makes sure others understand performance expectations.
- Sets and tracks goal progress for self and others.
- Monitors the work of others to ensure it is completed on time and meets expectations.
- Breaks down barriers so team members can accomplish their work.
- Prioritizes group activities based on importance, urgency, and impact to goals.
- Manages team workload and delegates assignments appropriately.
- Ensures team members have the equipment, materials, and other resources needed to accomplish their work.
- Avoids conflicts when setting project timelines and communicates key milestones and deadlines to others.