Manager, Technical Accounting
Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 19150902
Job Category Finance and Accounting
Location Marriott International HQ, 10400 Fernwood Road, Bethesda, Maryland, United States VIEW ON MAP
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
The Manager, Accounting Policy will provide decision support on business transactions by identifying and addressing accounting and financial reporting issues. The Manager, Accounting Policy will be a key contributor in the preparation of the earnings per share, return on invested capital, and investment capacity analyses for potential transactions. The Manager, Accounting Policy will be responsible for the interpretation of accounting policies and practices set by regulatory agencies and the application of those policies and practices at Marriott. The Manager, Accounting Policy will monitor emerging financial accounting issues and assist in the determination of the impact to Marriott. The Manager, Accounting Policy will be viewed by members of Senior Management and key stakeholder groups as a key contact in emerging accounting issues. The Manager, Accounting Policy will also collaborate with other Accounting Policy team members on SEC filings, as required.
- Provide proactive consultation and technical support on complex business transactions (e.g., mergers and acquisitions, dispositions, asset sales and leases, joint venture structuring) by identifying and addressing accounting policy and financial reporting issues and opportunities. Draft internal memorandums documenting accounting conclusions on complex business transactions.
- Provide support for potential transactions by performing earnings per share, return on invested and committed capital, and debt capacity calculations. Ensure that the analyses reflect the appropriate accounting treatment under generally accepted accounting principles.
- Monitor and lead analyses related to Marriott’s proposed and existing investment interests, including those in Variable Interest Entities. Lead and coordinate information gathering from other departments to complete required analyses.
- Stay abreast of existing and emerging financial accounting and reporting principles, assessing their applicability to Marriott and proactively advising other members of the Accounting Policy group.
- Prepare fair value disclosures for Marriott’s Forms 10-Q and 10-K and provide additional assistance to other Accounting Policy team members on SEC filings, as needed.
- Establish and maintain strong, collaborative relationships with Global Finance partners and other internal stakeholder groups to understand the business and ensure timely exchange of information.
- Encourage collaboration and a positive and productive environment within the Accounting Policy group.
- 4 to 6 years professional accounting experience. Public accounting experience strongly preferred.
- Experience analyzing and addressing auditing or technical accounting issues of complex real estate transactions, joint ventures, mergers & acquisitions, and/or dispositions a plus.
- Knowledge of and interest in SEC pronouncements and accounting rules.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or related discipline required
- In depth knowledge of U.S. generally accepted accounting principles.
- Demonstrated skills in appropriate accounting treatment and reporting policies of routine and complex financial transactions.
- Ability to consistently make decisions in a timely manner sometimes with incomplete information and under tight deadlines and pressure.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective relationships with a broad group of stakeholders in order to foster trust and influence key decisions.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills; creates an atmosphere in which timely information flows smoothly through the organization.
- Ability to sell ideas persuasively, settling differences without damaging relationships; can be direct while remaining diplomatic.
- Strong business performance management skills - able to deploy and manage (use data to systemically monitor the progress of work against schedules, budgets, and quality standards) resources to achieve/exceed objectives in a dynamic operating environment.
- Able to integrate and balance priorities, work activities and resources for the benefit of multiple key stakeholders.
- Active learner -- able to enhance personal, professional and business growth through new knowledge and experiences; pushes the organization to learn from other industries’ standards and practices.
- Relationship builder
- Collaborative; team player
- Persuasive; able to influence with effective communication
- Exhibits leadership presence; ability to establish credibility necessary to influence at all organizational levels and give projects credibility
- Analytical; makes recommendations using data
- Trustworthy with strong business integrity and ability to hold sensitive information in confidence
- Agile learner; able to readily apply past learnings in new situations