Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 19144520
Job Category Global Design
Location Marriott International HQ, 10400 Fernwood Road, Bethesda, Maryland, United States VIEW ON MAP
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
Design is a life love, not just a job. It is in fact a physical manifestation of our brands. This is your chance to take your design experience to the next level. Move beyond the tactical practice of design and leverage your strategic skills as you partner with owners to educate design professionals and steward the design direction of projects within the Marriott Select Classic Brands segment – Courtyard, Fairfield Inn, Four Points, Residence Inn, SpringHill Suites and TownePlace Suites. If you are a solution-motivated/deadline-oriented designer with a talent for gaining trust, you might be the right fit within our team.
Candidates should have great creative vision and be a strategic thinker who can understand and engage with a wide variety of other disciplines and external owners/project managers. We seek to drive owner and brand preference by delivering guest-focused design with owner-focused results.
On a project / tactical level, the successful candidate for this position provides design quality assurance and interior design management services and manages all aspects of franchised, managed, or corporate projects for new construction, conversion, or adaptive re-use. This individual has a passion for hospitality design and is able to inspire internal and external participants to create design solutions that thrill guests and align with brand strategy. The atmosphere within the team is collaborative, creative, demanding and fun with opportunities for growth within Global Design. This is your unique chance to make your mark and position yourself on the leading edge of hospitality design.
- Represents department to both external and internal clients and builds positive and mutually beneficial relationships.
- Provides technical reviews of drawings and other submittals for franchised or managed projects to ensure conformance with brand design standards and established interior design criteria.
- Provide design studies, sketch plans, creative talent, and imagination to projects as required.
- Applies design talent to problem solving design exercises to achieve cost efficient results that align with the brand standards and the brand strategy.
- Communicates and coordinates with internal disciplines to ensure the integration of relevant input in project reviews.
- Provide design expertise in layout, color, lighting, materials selection, custom furniture, and adjacencies, and installation on a project or program level.
- Coordinates review/approval (with participation from appropriate disciplines) of variances from brand standards requested by owners due to specific project circumstances.
- Provides information, interpretation, and guidance to outside owners and their consultants, as well as internal design and construction staff, for adapting interior design direction and brand standards to specific projects.
- Supervises, directs, motivates, and trains assigned staff as necessary.
- Tracks and maintains project data and milestones utilizing a database tools.
- Assists in the maintenance and development of brand prototype documentation.
- Maintains clear communication with all department management levels and advises/consults on sensitive owner or project issues.
- Assists with quantity take-offs and FF&E bills of materials to support the procurement process
- Manages time allocation on projects in accordance with specific project budgets, deadlines, and/or direction established by Senior Management.
- Reports to Senior Managers / Directors for policy guidance, methods, and systems support matters. Supports Senior Managers / Directors in monitoring, reviewing, and expediting drawing and design submittals.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills / excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work well in a high volume, fast-paced environment as a member of a collaborative team
- Strong interior design skill, architectural design acumen, and project management skills.
- Knowledgeable about innovation and design trends within hospitality and other related design fields.
- Good business judgment and creative problem-solving attributes.
- Strong conceptual design/freehand sketching and/or digital presentation abilities.
- Ability to balance projects with other business demands that may be at times, administrative in nature
- Proficient in Bluebeam, AutoCAD, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), and project management software is required. Skills in Revit, Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator), and Sketchup are desired but not required.
- Potential travel in US/Canada – 25% travel is anticipated for this position
- 4-year degree from an accredited interior design program preferred
- Minimum 6 years’ experience in the design field, preferably in the hospitality design industry
- An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered
- NCIDQ certificate preferred