Director, Global Privacy
Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 19140521
Job Category Administrative
Location Marriott International HQ, 10400 Fernwood Road, Bethesda, Maryland, United States VIEW ON MAP
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
Marriott International, Inc. is the world's largest hotel company based in Bethesda, Maryland, with more than 7,000 properties and 30 brands in 130 countries and territories. Marriott operates and franchises hotels and licenses vacation ownership resorts and branded residential properties. Marriott’s Privacy Office and the Law Department service the Company's lodging and hospitality business.
The Director, Global Privacy, is responsible for supporting the development and implementation of Marriott’s growing Global Privacy program while promoting compliance with applicable privacy, data and information protection laws. The individual will support the Company’s Privacy Governance program, oversee Privacy Leads, develop and deliver trainings and communications, and execute privacy programs and key initiatives. The incumbent will also develop Privacy policies and assessments and advise and support new business ventures and pilot programs.
This position reports directly to the Global Privacy Officer.
- Manage the day-to-day workflow of the Global Privacy Office, including supporting governance efforts, trainings and communications, and help establish procedures for identifying and responding to changes in the regulatory landscape;
- Help establish procedures and processes to support the Global Privacy Office program and ensure that various initiatives related to Global Privacy follow project plans, are completed on-time and on-budget;
- Assist the Customer Experience Data Privacy Team, Continent privacy representatives and other business leads in supporting various privacy initiatives, including the Company’s individual right requests, complaints and privacy incidents;
- Support compliance efforts regarding the Company’s cross border transfer mechanisms, including the annual re-certification process, updating Global Privacy Statements and developing Associate and Applicant Privacy Statements;
- Develop, review and deliver communication and training programs to raise awareness about the company’s Privacy Program across business functions;
- Lead efforts to create and present specialized training opportunities to Privacy Leads;
- Responsible for the proactive identification and evaluation of emerging regulatory risks;
- Prepare reports of privacy metrics, investigations and trends for the Privacy Governance Board, Oversight Committee and the Continent Privacy Committee meetings;
- Establish processes for escalated Privacy Impact Assessments and Data Protection Impact Assessments that need additional guidance, in coordination with the Global Information Security Privacy Team;
- Provide privacy-related advice and support for new business ventures, pilot programs and initiatives; and
- Partner with team members in the Legal department to develop and maintain a library of privacy provisions.
Successful candidates should possess knowledge and experience and demonstrate strong leadership and relationship skills as follows:
- 4-year bachelor's degree in a relevant area of study from an accredited University;
- Minimum of 8+ years’ experience in Privacy required; legal, compliance and/or information security experience preferred; consulting experience a plus;
- Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP) or other relevant professional certification a plus;
- Strong understanding of international privacy laws, regulations, compliance and best practices;
- Good written, oral and presentation skills;
- Good analytical and project management skills;
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects and resources with a sense of urgency;
- Creative problem-solving skills;
- Outstanding interpersonal skills to effectively build relations and interact with associates at all levels within the organization;
- High degree of initiative and good judgment to effectively resolve issues;
- Experience managing the change;
- Ability to work and influence a wide range of cross-functional teams and leaders within a matrixed organization;
- Good project management and communications skills; and
- Proficiency with enterprise content management systems, collaboration tools, Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint applications.