This Software Data Engineer will enable creation and implementation of solutions using advanced computational techniques to data-intensive problems in the hospitality industry. This rewarding position provides a career on a team of mathematical modelers and data scientists that makes a direct revenue impact on Marriott hotels, globally, by creating tools that facilitate data-driven decision making in the disciplines of pricing, revenue management, sales and reservations. This software engineer will be part of a team that supports computationally-intensive data analysis and modeling efforts, provides analytics and technical expertise; performs undirected research on large volumes of data to reach business conclusions and recommendations; contributes complex programming and analysis in revenue management and sales systems; analyzes data and deploys codes to deliver business solutions; actively participates in all phases of the project lifecycle – inception, prototyping, design, testing, rollout and support; works as part of an adaptive software development team; has a willingness to learn and brings unique perspectives to enable creative data-driven solutions.
Education and Experience
• Graduate degree in a quantitative, technical or scientific field, e.g., computer science, engineering, mathematics, operations research, statistics.
• 5+ years of professional experience as a data engineering or software developer in a domain or system with substantial data volume (should be comfortable working with millions or billions of records).
• Extensive knowledge and experience in one of the following languages: python (especially pandas/numpy/scipy), scala (especially spark), java or C/C++.
• Proficient computer science or software development fundamentals (e.g., data structures, algorithms, complexity theory, etc.).
• Comfortable discussing or implementing advanced mathematical techniques and processes.
• Experience writing complicated queries in SQL.
• Experience working with NoSQL databases (couchbase, cassandra, redis, mongodb, etc.)
• Cloud computing experience (especially AWS).
• Familiarity or experience with DevOps tools and pipelines (e.g., git, docker, kubernetes, jenkins, etc).
• An inherent curiosity in researching and developing solutions to complex and often open-ended business problem.
• An interest in continually learning new techniques and technologies.
• Ability to work within a team with strong communications skills, including an ability to explain and present technical concepts to technical and non-technical audiences.
• Willingness to debug and/or extend existing code bases.
• Willingness to participate in design sessions, code review session and oversee other developers.
• Experience with Big Data platforms (i.e. Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, Hive, etc).
• Experience in developing analytic driven solutions to business problems.
• Readiness to debug existing codes to identify source of reported application issues.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
• Trains and/or mentors other team members, and peers as appropriate
• Provides leadership on solution structure, tasks, timeline and estimates for revenue management deliverables
• Partners with planning teams to articulate possible solutions to business problems and to develop requirements for new models
• Formulates methods for measuring the effectiveness of pricing and revenue management activities.
• Prepares detailed specifications for translation of complex business processes into models and prototypes
• Develops and implements efficient, scalable algorithms using appropriate technologies/software/architectures
• Writes software and utility software tools to create and test new models
• Assists the Application Delivery teams in support of operations
• Assists the Application Delivery team in the maintenance of existing models
• Provides work/cost estimates for client requests
• Prepares documentation for client review.
• Conducts reviews, discusses findings, risks and challenges and establishes courses of action
• Follows all defined iT standards and processes and provides input for improvements to the appropriate process owners as needed
• Maintains a proper balance between business and operational risk
• Follows the defined project management standards and processes
Service Provider Management
To the extent that this role interacts with service providers:
• Validates that Service Providers develop and manage respective aspects of a project plan, including schedules, deliverables, and appropriate metrics.
• Makes short term plans for the team to effectively utilize resources
• Monitors Service Provider outcomes
• Reviews estimates of work effort for client project provided by Service Providers for accuracy
• Facilitates timely resolution of service delivery problems and minimizes the impact to clients
• Communication - Conveys information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner through a variety of methods.
• Leading Through Vision and Values - Keeps the organization's vision and values at the forefront of employee decision making and action.
• Managing Change - Initiates and/or manages the change process and energizes it on an ongoing basis, taking steps to remove barriers or accelerate its pace; serves as role model for how to handle change by maintaining composure and performance level under pressure or when experiencing challenges.
• Problem Solving and Decision Making - Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; obtains and compares information from different sources to draw conclusions, develops and evaluates alternatives and solutions, solves problems, and chooses a course of action.
• Professional Demeanor - Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
• Strategy Development - Develops business plans by exploring and systematically evaluating opportunities with the greatest potential for producing positive results; ensures successful preparation and execution of business plans through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
• Building a Successful Team - Uses an effective interpersonal style to build a cohesive team; inspires and sustains team cohesion and engagement by focusing the team on its mission and importance to the organization.
• Strategy Execution – Ensures successful execution across of business plans designed to maximize customer satisfaction, profitability, and market share through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
• Driving for Results - Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required.
• Customer Relationships - Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer/stakeholder needs and actions consistent with the company’s service standards.
• Global Mindset - Supports employees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
• Strategic Partnerships - Develops collaborative relationships with fellow employees and business partners by making them feel valued, appreciated, and included; explores partnership opportunities with other people in and outside the organization; influences and leverages corporate and continental shared services and/or discipline leaders (e.g., HR, Sales & Marketing, Finance, Revenue Management) to achieve objectives; maintains effective external relations with government, business and industry in respective countries; performs effectively as a liaison between locations, disciplines, and corporate to ensure needed resources are received and corporate strategies are understood and executed.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
• Developing Others - Supports the development of other’s skills and capabilities so that they can fulfill current or future job/role responsibilities more effectively.
• Organizational Capability - Evaluates and adapts the structure of assignments and work processes to best fit the needs and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise
• Continuous Learning - Actively identifies new areas for learning; regularly creates and takes advantage of learning opportunities; uses newly gained knowledge and skill on the job and learns through their application.
• Technical Acumen - Understanding and utilizing professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges
o Technical Intelligence: Knowledge and ability to define and apply appropriate technology to enhance business process
o Development Methodologies: Knowledge of general stages of SDLC framework and the application tiers within the development space.
o Information Security: Knowledge of the security considerations relevant within the development space, including industry best practices related to information security
• Business Acumen - Understands and utilizes business information to manage everyday operations and generate innovative solutions to approach business and administrative challenges.
• Basic Competencies - Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities.
o Basic Computer Skills - Using basic computer hardware and software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software, Internet browsers, etc.).
o Mathematical Reasoning - The ability to add, subtract, multiply, or divide quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows one to solve work-related issues.
o Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
o Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
o Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.