Corporate Counsel - Distribution, Digital and Strategic Initiatives
Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 19113322
Job Category Legal
Location Marriott International HQ, 10400 Fernwood Road, Bethesda, Maryland, United States VIEW ON MAP
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
This attorney position, which is part of the Distribution, Digital and Strategic Initiatives group, will focus on providing legal services and transactional support for the Distribution, Digital and CX disciplines within the Brand, Marketing, Sales, and Consumer Services (BMSC) organization. This attorney will be expected to provide practical legal solutions and transactional support to help Marriott achieve its business objectives on matters involving Marriott’s digital global platforms and systems, including customer-facing web and mobile reservation applications, third party distribution arrangements (e.g., Expedia, Booking.com, GDS, TMC, wholesalers), Marriott Bonvoy partnerships, credit card partnerships, and the Company’s emerging Travel Marketplace that extends Marriott’s business beyond lodging.
The position will report to the Vice President & Assistant General Counsel - Distribution, Digital and Strategic Initiatives.
Provides legal services and transactional support for the Distribution, Digital and CX disciplines within the Brand, Marketing, Sales, and Consumer Services (BMSC) organization, including:
- Provides legal support and advice on issues relating to Marriott’s consumer-facing digital reservations platforms such as terms and conditions, rate display errors, and hotel information;
- Drafts and negotiates distribution agreements with Online Travel Agents (e.g.,Expedia, Booking.com), GDS providers (Sabre, Amadeus), wholesalers and TMCs; provides legal support on related contracts or agreements and subsequent issues or projects;
- Drafts and negotiates agreements with Travel Marketplace partners in a variety of categories such as ride share (Uber, Lyft), Food and Beverage, and tours and activities providers and content aggregators; provides legal support on related contracts or agreements and subsequent issues or projects;
- Provides legal support and guidance for Marriott’s co-brand credit card group, including drafting amendments to existing agreements and advising on contract questions and disputes;
- Drafts other documents as needed for the business such as Non-Disclosure Agreements, Pilot Agreements or Transactional agreements;
- Supervises outside counsel and provides feedback accordingly;
- Understands and resolves novel legal issues relating to digital platforms as they relate to Marriott’s Travel Marketplace;
- Collaborates with colleagues within the Law Department and works effectively with internal clients and business partners;
- Coordinates tax, insurance, intellectual property, and information privacy/security issues within Marriott and collaborates across disciplines to resolve issues;
- Participates on project or committees as needed providing legal advice and guidance;
- Understands and resolves local law issues; and
- Participates in department or division-wide initiatives and special projects on an as needed basis.
- Excellent academic record with a law degree from a top law school;
- Minimum of 5 years legal experience, preferably transactional experience;
- Active Bar membership;
- Familiarity with legal issues associated with the digital economy;
- Independent and creative thinker with the ability to manage, structure, negotiate, and execute complex transactions;
- Ability to expeditiously identify and analyze issues and provide legally sound recommendations consistent with good business practices and reason;
- Strong interpersonal skills, and ability to interact effectively and work diplomatically with individuals at all levels;
- Ability to foster relationships and individual accountability across the organization;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Proven contract drafting and negotiating skills
- Excellent conflict management skills and ability to influence without coercion;
- Ability to identify opportunities for improvement and to facilitate the implementation of creative solutions;
- Ability to work independently, take ownership of and effectively resolve problems; and
- Ability to expeditiously identify and assess issues and provide legally sound recommendations consistent with good business practices and reason.