Assistant Manager, Accounting
Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 19095227
Job Category Finance and Accounting
Location Marriott International HQ, 10400 Fernwood Road, Bethesda, Maryland, United States VIEW ON MAP
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
This position is part of a team responsible for the accurate internal and external financial reporting of a subset of Marriott’s subsidiaries. The team is responsible for ensuring the accuracy and completeness of legal subsidiary ledgers, generating financial statements for the entities, facilitating timely statutory income tax reporting, overall support of statutory audits and completion of the entity audit process in a timely and efficient manner.
The responsibilities of this position include financial statement preparation for subsidiary financial statements on a local and/or US GAAP basis of accounting, preparation of audit schedules and ongoing review and analysis of the financial activity within each of the assigned entities. The Assistant Manager works with independence, but within established guidelines, to produce and analyze financial information as well as legal contracts to support the accounting for assigned entities. In addition, he/she will serve as a contact for entity questions/issues for stakeholders across the organization.
SCOPE/BUSINESS CONTEXT/EXPECTED CONTRIBUTIONS
- Coordinate the annual statutory audit processes, including preparation of supporting schedules and documentation. Ensure that audits occur in a timely and efficient manner.
- Prepare assigned entity financial statements and supporting schedules to support the financial statement reporting, tax and audit process.
- Record financial statement/audit adjustments and other journal entries to the general ledger as applicable.
- Complete analysis and reconciliation of financial activity recorded to the general ledger in a timely manner, including reviewing financial activity for overall reasonableness and accuracy and timely submission of governance certifications in accordance with Marriott internal control policies.
- Review current year ledgers to ensure they are accurate
- Participate in the monthly and quarterly corporate financial close procedures and in the preparation of internal financial reporting deliverables.
- Understand and document significant transactions related to these entities to support internal financial reporting, annual financial statements and the annual audit processes.
- Work with stakeholders with respect to technical accounting issues in both local and US GAAP, ensuring that transactions are accounted for appropriately.
- Document current processes and maintain existing documentation so it is relevant. Participate in process improvement initiatives and standardizations.
- Assist in utilization of technology to improve processes.
- Participate in department-wide goals, as assigned.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Assist with review and approval of new/revised accounting strings.
- Minimum 3-4 years of progressive accounting experience to include financial statement preparation, preparation of audit schedules and account analysis.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel (e.g. macros & pivot tables).
- Financial statement audit experience preferred.
Education or Certification
- BS/BA in Accounting or Finance
- CPA or MBA preferred
- Demonstrates an independent ability to research and analyze transactions and balances within a complex accounting system structure and in a multi-currency environment.
- Strong business process skills; capable of developing effective processes, ensuring compliance with existing processes and producing quality results.
- High proficiency with PC based software (Microsoft Office); use of macros and pivot tables in Excel.
- Interested in utilizing technology to drive process improvements
- Able to develop and maintain effective business relationships with key internal and external stakeholders.
- Ensures all work is completed on time with a high attention to detail.
- Demonstrates strong organizational and prioritization skills; high performance levels under tight deadlines.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills; ability to articulate issues to a variety of individuals at multiple levels within the organization.
- Ability to manage multiple work activities concurrently with minimal supervision.
- At ease in an environment of change; supports and manages change within the organization.
- High degree of initiative, personal responsibility and integrity.