Director, Fire Protection & Life Safety
Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 19091859
Job Category Finance and Accounting
Location Asia/Pacif/Australia Region, Suite 1108 11th Floor Cityplaza One, Hong Kong S.A.R., Hong Kong, Hong Kong S.A.R. VIEW ON MAP
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
Marriott International is the world’s largest hotel company, with more brands, more hotels and more opportunities for associates to grow and succeed. We believe a great career is a journey of discovery and exploration. So, we ask, where will your journey take you?
As a member of Fire Protection & Life Safety (FLS), is responsible for insuring compliance of fire protection standards for all Lodging Brands and products in Asia Pacific (AP), including new builds, conversions/acquisitions, re-positionings, and renovations to provide a high level of life safety and protection to our guests, associates, and assets from the perils of fire. Promote and expand ongoing periodic inspections of operating hotels. Provide oversight and leadership to direct reports and consultants as they work toward insuring compliance. Provide project management and life safety expertise to ensure compliance with the standards through the design and construction of new and converting hotels.
This role is dual reporting with a solid line to VP, FLS and a dotted line to VP, Global Design Asia Pacific. As such needs to ensure property compliance with FLS standards and support the goals of Global Design including meeting timelines and project and department budgets. Also responsible management of direct reports and for deployment of FLS consultant.
Education and Experience
BS, Fire Protection Engineering or equivalent experience.
Fundamentals of Engineering or Professional Engineering license preferred.
10 yrs. minimum of fire department experience preferred.
2 yrs. minimum related experience working in Asia Pacific preferred.
Minimum of 10 years progressive experience in fire protection preferred.
Willingness to reside in Hong Kong.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Specific Expected Contributions and Responsibilities
Responsible for delivery of high-quality engineering support services to business units within Global Design, Lodging, Development, Operations, Brand, Lodging Engineering, Risk Management, Ownership Franchise Services and various other Marriott businesses for all projects in the region.
Responsible for recruiting, coaching, training and developing staff or consultants to perform their defined duties. Provide performance feedback and evaluation, and career development if applicable to direct reports.
Make decisions for complex fire protection and life safety issues and when necessary, refer to other members within Fire Protection & Life Safety.
Direct adaptations and modifications throughout design process and installation of systems.
Discuss with supervisor and team members fire protection and life safety issues or problems that have high financial impact.
Promote and support ongoing inspections in operating hotels in the region.
Remain current with emerging technologies, regional codes and best methods for automatic sprinkler systems, fire alarm systems, life safety, and smoke control in the industry and specific to the region.
Expected Leadership Contributions
As a senior leader within FLS, support department, other leaders and associates within the department by serving as a role model invested in the mission of the department.
Manage all (owned, managed, and franchised) new build and conversion projects within the AP region.
Manage internal and external resources for all AP projects.
Supervise a staff of fire protection engineers and technicians or interface with consultants to achieve results.
Participate as needed to ensure the FLS budget is established and meet with Global Design Senior Continent Head of Design Management and Global Design Accounting.
Participate in preparation and presentation of the Risk Management position and provide technical expertise for the Appeals Board process with Continent President, Chief Financial Officer, General Counsel, SVP Global Design, SVP Risk Management and Chief Development Officer.
Routinely interact with Global Design Project Directors, Insurance, Global Safety & Security, franchisees, building owners, clients, customers, officials, contractors, and others.
Lead project meetings and make presentations relating to AP projects.
Act as a liaison to insurance companies, code officials, architects, owners, consultants.
Verify completion of projects.
Communicate on a regular basis with the FLS Vice President based at MI HQ.
Perform design reviews for egress, building construction, automatic sprinkler, fire alarm, and mechanical smoke control systems to ensure compliance of Marriott standards, system performance, equipment selection, constructability, maintainability, building code conformance, and sequencing.
Provide construction support services including fire protection system project control functions (change-order analysis and schedule impacts), cost reduction analysis, submittal reviews, mid-construction site review and report, transition planning (construction to operations), and acceptance testing.
Actively listens and asks questions of customers to assess the level of satisfaction with the service being provided and to prevent problems from occurring. Regularly monitor customer satisfaction and take personal responsibility to ensure it. Follow through with customer inquiries, requests, and complaints in a timely fashion.
Communicate orally and in writing with customers.
Tracks project schedules and construction documents.
Basic to working knowledge of construction means and methods, facilities operations, and contracting.
Strong problem-solving capabilities; ability to search beyond traditional boundaries.
Solid understanding of regional and NFPA codes and standards.
Extensive writing skills required.
Excellent interpersonal skills which must include ability to speak in public, negotiate, explain fire protection concepts, and enforce standards while strengthening relationships, occasionally under pressure.
Ability to develop new processes to increase effectiveness and efficiencies.
Excellent management and supervisory skills.
Good working knowledge of MS Word, MS Excel, and MS Outlook.
High degree of initiative, personal responsibility and integrity
Ability to work effectively in a collaborative work environment.
Willingness to share knowledge openly and assist others as necessary.
Willingness to travel extensively (approximately 70%).
· Adaptability - Maintains performance level under pressure or when experiencing changes or challenges in the workplace.
· Communication - Conveys information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner through a variety of methods.
· Problem Solving and Decision Making - Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; obtains and compares information from different sources to draw conclusions, develops and evaluates alternatives and solutions, solves problems, and chooses a course of action.
· Professional Demeanor - Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
· Building and Contributing to Teams - Participates as a member of a team to move toward the completion of common goals while fostering cohesion and collaboration among team members.
· Driving for Results - Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required.
· Planning and Organizing - Gathers information and resources required to set a plan of action for self and/or others; prioritizes and arranges work requirements to accomplish goals and ensure work is completed.
· Coworker Relationships - Interacts with others in a way that builds openness, trust, and confidence in the pursuit of organizational goals and lasting relationships.
· Customer Relationships - Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer/stakeholder needs and actions consistent with the company’s service standards.
· Global Mindset - Supports employees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
· Organizational Capability - Evaluates and adapts the structure of assignments and work processes to best fit the needs and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
· Talent Management - Provides guidance and feedback to help individuals develop and strengthen skills and abilities needed to accomplish work objectives.
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise
· Applied Learning - Seeks and makes the most of learning opportunities to improve performance of self and/or others.
· Business Acumen - Understands and utilizes business information to manage everyday operations and generate innovative solutions to approach business and administrative challenges.
· Technical Acumen - Understands and utilizes professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges.
· Basic Competencies - Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities.
o Basic Computer Skills - Uses basic computer hardware and software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software, Internet browsers, etc.).
o Mathematical Reasoning - Adds, subtracts, multiplies, or divides quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows one to solve work-related issues.
o Oral Comprehension - Listens to and understands information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
o Reading Comprehension - Understands written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
o Writing - Communicates effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.