Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 19085623
Job Category Legal
Location Hong Kong Development, Suite 1108 11th Floor Cityplaza One, Hong Kong S.A.R., Hong Kong, Hong Kong S.A.R. VIEW ON MAP
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
The attorney in this position will be part of the Marriott Law Department and will work in the Hong Kong office reporting to the Vice President & Senior Counsel in the Hong Kong Office.
The attorney will work on multiple projects in locations throughout the Asia/Pacific region. The attorney will be required to develop an understanding of Marriott's financing and development techniques and practices, and deal with a broad array of topics, including real estate development, debt and equity financing, joint ventures and risk-management covering Marriott’s full range of brands, including its premium full-service Marriott and Sheraton hotels, luxury W, Ritz-Carlton and Bulgari hotels, select-service Courtyard, Moxy and Aloft hotels, and branded residential products.
The attorney will be required to manage and execute complex transactions, effectively supervise outside counsel, understand local approval processes, work with owners, developers and lenders across varied cultures and legal environments, and coordinate tax, insurance, intellectual property and design issues within Marriott. Travel will be required.
Education and Experience
Excellent academic records with a law degree from a top US, UK, Hong Kong, Singapore or Australian law school;
6-9 years of post-qualification legal experience in a well-regarded US, UK, Hong Kong, Singapore or Australian law firm on M&A, project finance or real estate transactions;
Fluent in both spoken and written Chinese;
Active Bar membership (if licensed in the United States) / practicing certificate;
Outstanding analytical, writing and oral communication skills;
Proven project management experience, strong drafting and problem-solving skills, excellent organizational skills, as well as the ability to work well under pressure while producing a high volume of accurate work;
Constructive approach to dealing with conflict, and ability to influence and achieve successful results without damaging relationships;
Ability to expeditiously identify and assess issues and provide legally sound recommendations consistent with good business practices and reason;
Ability to work independently and take ownership of, and effectively resolve, problems;
Excellent client service and communications skills (oral and written);
Strong interpersonal and consultative skills; ability to interact effectively and work diplomatically with individuals at all levels;
Ability to think strategically and provide leadership when needed;
Ability to expeditiously identify and assess issues and provide legally sound recommendations consistent with good business practices and reasons;
Ability to assess and balance risks, and understand the commercial drivers of projects; and
Strong interpersonal skills and ability to interact effectively, work diplomatically and foster relationships with individuals at all levels.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Primary responsibilities of this attorney will include:
Providing preliminary advice on proposed transactions with respect to confidentiality agreements, structuring the transaction, letters of intent and trade area restrictions;
Drafting and negotiating management and related agreements and coordinating various conversion matters on the takeover of an existing property;
Drafting and negotiating franchise agreements and related agreements with owners, operators and lenders;
Drafting and negotiating purchase and sale agreements, ground leases and development agreements, handling legal due diligence, coordinating with other members of the development team, monitoring compliance with local laws, drafting and negotiating closing documents, overseeing closings and following up on post-closing matters;
Drafting and negotiating ownership structuring agreements, including joint venture, condominium and finance documentation;
Drafting and negotiating documents involved with multi-unit refinancings, sale/lease back, and sale/management back transactions; and
Providing advice on miscellaneous real estate matters affecting lodging development and operations (e.g. condemnations, easements, restrictions and land use).
· Communication - Conveys information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner through a variety of methods.
· Leading Through Vision and Values - Keeps the organization's vision and values at the forefront of decision making and action.
· Managing Change - Initiates and/or manages the change process and energizes it on an ongoing basis, taking steps to remove barriers or accelerate its pace; serves as role model for how to handle change by maintaining composure and performance level under pressure or when experiencing challenges.
· Problem Solving and Decision Making - Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; obtains and compares information from different sources to draw conclusions, develops and evaluates alternatives and solutions, solves problems, and chooses a course of action.
· Professional Demeanor - Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
· Strategy Development - Develops business plans by exploring and systematically evaluating opportunities with the greatest potential for producing positive results; ensures successful preparation and execution of business plans through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
· Building a Successful Team - Uses an effective interpersonal style to build a cohesive team; inspires and sustains team cohesion and engagement by focusing the team on its mission and importance to the organization.
· Strategy Execution – Ensures successful execution across of business plans designed to maximize customer satisfaction, profitability, and market share through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
· Driving for Results - Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required.
· Customer Relationships - Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer/stakeholder needs and actions consistent with the company’s service standards.
· Global Mindset - Supports employees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
· Strategic Partnerships - Develops collaborative relationships with fellow employees and business partners by making them feel valued, appreciated, and included; explores partnership opportunities with other people in and outside the organization; influences and leverages corporate and continental shared services and/or discipline leaders (e.g., HR, Sales & Marketing, Finance, Revenue Management) to achieve objectives; maintains effective external relations with government, business and industry in respective countries; performs effectively as a liaison between locations, disciplines, and corporate to ensure needed resources are received and corporate strategies are understood and executed.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
· Organizational Capability - Evaluates and adapts the structure of assignments and work processes to best fit the needs and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
· Talent Management - Provides guidance and feedback to help individuals develop and strengthen skills and abilities needed to accomplish work objectives.
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise
· Technical Acumen - Understands and utilizes professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges.
· Basic Competencies - Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities.
o Basic Computer Skills - Uses basic computer hardware and software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software, Internet browsers, etc.).
o Mathematical Reasoning - Adds, subtracts, multiplies, or divides quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows one to solve work-related issues.
o Oral Comprehension - Listens to and understands information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
o Reading Comprehension - Understands written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
o Writing - Communicates effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.