Director - Tools Development
Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 19078177
Job Category Information Technology
Location Marriott International HQ, 10400 Fernwood Road, Bethesda, Maryland, United States VIEW ON MAP
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
The Director of Tools Development is responsible for the strategy, development, and operations of the technical software tools used across the IT Delivery organization. The Director partners with various leaders within IT Delivery to design, develop, implement, and continuously improve systems to provide auditing, visibility, technology convergence, and functionality across systems within the enterprise. The portfolio of tools and applications include event management, monitoring, alerting/alarming, infrastructure management, automation, security auditing, billing, and all associated user interfaces, with the objective of providing real-time visibility and for the management of application systems and their related infrastructure resources. Along with the technology component of tools development and integration, responsibilities also include improving and implementing business processes and end-user facing services to empower teams within IT Service Management and IT Delivery. The Director of Tools Development will be responsible for managing a diverse team, inclusive of software development engineers and tools analysts.
- 10+ years of IT service operations experience
- 7 years’ experience leading strategy and implementation of orchestration, event monitoring, application performance and/or capacity management toolsets
- 5+ years’ experience working within the ITIL Frameworks and/or leading a Tools, Automation, and/or process team.
- 5+ years working with third party service suppliers and ITO organizations
- 3+ years’ experience in tools development involving software development practices including deployment and release engineering
- Undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Information Technology Management or equivalent experience/certifications
- Demonstrated success leading medium-to-large-scale service management and tool-based automation initiatives/transformations.
- MBA or Graduate Degree in Technology Leadership, Computer Science, Information Technology Management, or equivalent experience/certifications
- ITIL v3 Certification
- Experience in some or all of the following:
- Designing and leading enterprise software product implementation in the tools and automation management space
- Developing end-user management and reporting tools directly applicable to both operational line of business as well as technology line of business customers and stakeholders
- Working with remote and offshore development and support teams
- Managing SLAs, OLAs and KPIs via service management tools
- Managing a software development team including product management, project management, software developers, systems implementors, and business analysts in a fast-paced environment
- A thorough understanding of the interdependence of systems and their impact to the business
- Understanding of the quality assurance, risk management, and security considerations and their impact on overall technology environment.
- End to end infrastructure lifecycle experience
- Expert understanding of the software development life cycle (SDLC).
- Experience in business systems and process planning
- Knowledge of business environment, service requirements and hospitality culture
- Demonstrated ability to assess customer/client needs, creatively approach solutions, decide and influence appropriate courses of action
- Ability to understand and communicate the lifecycle of technologies and applications and to translate into business strategies for the client
- Demonstrated strong financial acumen including previous experience managing operational and/or capital budgets
- Defines and executes an IT Delivery Tools strategy around event management, notification, application performance, configuration management and orchestration
- Builds and maintains a standard set of service integration delivery tools and processes that will provide the right level of governance for all IT teams, and that will contribute to client satisfaction
- Balance “Buy vs. Build” decisions and implementation to provide maximum efficiency and technology and tooling convergence
- Responsible for the selection, development and evolution of all performance, capacity and automation platforms and tools
- Ensures the organization aligns in driving automation and lean processes in conjunction with the delivery of services from the ITSM platform
- Partners with leaders from Service Integration, Infrastructure Operations and the Marriott Technology Operations Center to understand their process improvement needs & translate them into enterprise efforts
- Leads the culture of continuous improvement by identifying projects, initiatives & getting the customer or leadership engagement and deliver them
- Produces regular and accurate management reports and dashboards for IT Delivery leadership team that demonstrate the value and business benefit of the investments.
- Provides oversight on the project management & operations for managing the Tools and Automation team
- Leads the relationship with multiple product vendors
- Defines the tool-based service delivery expectations from professional services vendors & lead the governance around it
- Partners with vendor management teams on vendor selection and ongoing vendor governance
- Manage software development work intake and release pipeline inclusive of full-stack software development engineers
other duties as assigned
Managing Standard End-To-End Processes
- Promote the organization’s awareness, understanding, and usage of enterprise standard end-to-end processes
- Support the development of behavioral change management, communications and training as needed to drive process and tool adoption, implementation and compliance
- Track status of key milestones in the adoption of new processes and tools
- Collaborate with key stakeholder groups to validate the effectiveness of standard processes and continuously improves process quality
- Work with Marriott teams to ensure that process-related activities address company needs
- Define corrective action for audit findings with stakeholders
- Work to resolve escalated issues
Cultivate a High-Performing Team
- Creates a compelling vision, clear direction and strategy for the team
- Generates enthusiasm and understanding of the information security vision and how each role contributes to the achievement of that vision
- Ensure capabilities are developed and resources are aligned to support the strategy
- Attracts, motivates, develop and retains highly skilled leaders; champions and models leadership development
- Creates and sustains a work environment that drives associate engagement and enables business success
- Ensures appropriate processes are in place and executed to drive collaboration and alignment within the team and with the broader IT organization
- Serves as a role model and ensure all information security leaders are visible and effective partners with IT counterparts, broader Marriott stakeholders, and service providers
- Manages budget as required
- Communication - Conveys information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner through a variety of methods.
- Leading Through Vision and Values - Keeps the organization's vision and values at the forefront of decision making and action.
- Managing Change - Initiates and/or manages the change process and energizes it on an ongoing basis, taking steps to remove barriers or accelerate its pace; serves as role model for how to handle change by maintaining composure and performance level under pressure or when experiencing challenges.
- Problem Solving and Decision Making - Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; obtains and compares information from different sources to draw conclusions, develops and evaluates alternatives and solutions, solves problems, and chooses a course of action.
- Professional Demeanor - Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
- Strategy Development - Develops business plans by exploring and systematically evaluating opportunities with the greatest potential for producing positive results; ensures successful preparation and execution of business plans through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
- Building a Successful Team - Uses an effective interpersonal style to build a cohesive team; inspires and sustains team cohesion and engagement by focusing the team on its mission and importance to the organization.
- Strategy Execution – Ensures successful execution of business plans designed to maximize customer satisfaction, profitability, and market share through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
- Driving for Results - Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required.
- Customer Relationships - Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer/stakeholder needs and actions consistent with the company’s service standards.
- Global Mindset - Supports employees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
- Strategic Partnerships - Develops collaborative relationships with fellow employees and business partners by making them feel valued, appreciated, and included; explores partnership opportunities with other people in and outside the organization; influences and leverages corporate and continental shared services and/or discipline leaders (e.g., HR, Sales & Marketing, Finance, Revenue Management) to achieve objectives; maintains effective external relations with government, business and industry in respective countries; performs effectively as a liaison between locations, disciplines, and corporate to ensure needed resources are received and corporate strategies are understood and executed.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
- Organizational Capability - Evaluates and adapts the structure of assignments and work processes to best fit the needs and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
- Talent Management - Provides guidance and feedback to help individuals develop and strengthen skills and abilities needed to accomplish work objectives.
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise
- Technical Acumen - Understands and utilizes professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges.
- Basic Competencies - Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities.
- Basic Computer Skills - Uses basic computer hardware and software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software, Internet browsers, etc.).
- Mathematical Reasoning - Adds, subtracts, multiplies, or divides quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows one to solve work-related issues.
- Oral Comprehension - Listens to and understands information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Reading Comprehension - Understands written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Writing - Communicates effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.