Assistant Manager, Accounting
Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 19001JCB
Job Category Finance and Accounting
Location Marriott International HQ, 10400 Fernwood Road, Bethesda, Maryland, United States VIEW ON MAP
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
The Assistant Manager of Joint Venture Accounting will be responsible for assisting with all aspects of accounting, reporting, and analysis for Marriott’s lodging and corporate joint ventures, including mixed-use ventures. The Assistant Manager will produce financial information needed by various stakeholders to effectively manage the business and meet reporting obligations. Emphasis will be placed on underlying business processes and tools that produce accurate, timely, and complete results. This position reports to the Manager(s) of Joint Venture Accounting.
- Ensure that the Company’s interests in joint ventures (“JVs”) are properly accounted for and reported on the Company’s books, including converting local GAAP to US GAAP for international ventures.
- Ensure that reporting obligations to partners, lenders and other key stakeholders are met in a timely and accurate manner.
- Assist in managing the preparation of year-end and preliminary audit schedules and footnote disclosures for the Marriott consolidated financial statement audit.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of processes and procedures to ensure accurate calculation, review, and reporting of monthly actual results, monthly forecasted results, and the annual budget and long range plan for the joint venture portfolio.
- Utilize Essbase cubes and Hyperion Financial Reporting/Management to develop and maintain reports to assist in the financial reporting of JV results.
- Assist in maintenance of a data repository for each JV that includes all legal documents pertaining to the Joint Venture such as the partnership agreement and audited financial statements for each fiscal year.
- Ensure proper controls are in place to effectively manage compliance with Marriott policies as applicable to the JV portfolio.
- Develop and maintain processes to ensure compliance with financial terms of JV agreements. Examples include ensuring that financial statements are audited and reviewed on a timely basis and dividends are declared and paid.
- Provide financial information such as book balances and forecasts to support management in non-recurring transactions, including impairments, purchases, sales, or redemptions of JV interests.
- Assist the Managers in prioritizing projects and workloads of the department members and establishing deadlines around those priorities. Review the work products of the senior accountants and assist in their professional development.
- Partner with multiple Marriott departments (Accounting Policy, Finance Business Partners, Asset Managers, Legal) to obtain information for new JVs, assisting with the review of draft agreements and ensuring JV agreements include language which provides for receipt by Marriott of necessary financial information.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Solid knowledge of U.S. generally accepted accounting principles. Experience with principles related to accounting for equity and cost method JV investments a strong plus.
- Experience with accounting in a multi-currency environment under multiple bases of accounting.
- Able to develop and maintain effective client relationships and promote a client service orientation that delivers customer results.
- Able to manage multiple time sensitive assignments simultaneously and work both collaboratively and independently while meeting required goals and deadlines.
- Adept at documenting and improving processes, ensuring compliance with existing processes, and producing quality results.
- Able to multi-task; comfortable with complexity, ambiguity, change, and process improvement.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, both written and oral. Ability to articulate issues to a variety of individuals at multiple levels within the organization.
- Ability to make decisions in a timely manner and under pressure. Comfort with challenging the status quo to improve effectiveness.
- Self-motivated and creative thinker.
- Four or more years of progressive accounting experience, significant international accounting exposure a plus.
- Highly proficient with Microsoft office applications, with strong focus on spreadsheet applications.
- High degree of initiative, personal responsibility and integrity.
- Positive attitude, flexible and a high level of enthusiasm and energy.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills, including the ability to develop alternative and creative solutions.
- Experience with PeopleSoft, nVision and Hyperion Financial Systems a plus.
- Bilingual in Spanish a plus.
- BS/BA in Accounting, Finance or related discipline.
- CPA, MBA or advanced degree in Accounting or Finance preferred.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.