Senior Director, Human Capital Consulting
Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 19001DED
Job Category Human Resources
Location Marriott International HQ, 10400 Fernwood Road, Bethesda, Maryland, United States VIEW ON MAP
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
The Senior Director, Performance Advisor – BMSC is a key member of Marriott’s learning function and business partner to Marriott’s BMSC teams. As a company, Marriott’s consumer and commercial programs, platforms, and services are critical, and this position will be important to our future success. Specifically, the Senior Director contributes a high level of specialized knowledge, skill, and consultative leadership to ensure that learning and development strategies supporting BMSC are relevant, innovative, and serve diverse audiences of associates and leaders around the world. The position partners with the rest of the Learning and Development (L&D) leadership team, BMSC teams, corporate HR teams, BMSC Training Delivery, and business leaders to evaluate, design, and develop learning and development solutions, programs, and platforms. In particular, this role and the team underneath will work closely and collaboratively with all other areas across L&D and the business to ensure there is a way to surface and diagnose opportunities to foster innovation or enhance the user experience of identified solutions. Key responsibilities include:
- Designing learning and development strategies for the next generation BMSC programs, platforms, and services
- Creating, maintaining, and evolving learning roadmaps and plans in alignment with the Company’s broader BMSC Strategies and working with stakeholders to prioritize the most critical needs
- Ideating and infusing user-centered design across all deliverables with specific emphasis on vendors, platforms, and external partnerships to enhance functional capabilities
- Providing thought leadership regarding critical decisions that have an impact on associate learning and development
- Influencing the work of a team of instructional designers to ensure all deliverables meet strategic objectives and ongoing business needs, and ultimately meets the needs of the stakeholders globally
As a member of the Global Learning organization, the Senior Director, Performance Advisor impacts business outcomes by leveraging the Learning & Development function capabilities and their own business expertise to proactively influence talent and business decisions. This position is responsible for providing a full range of professional consulting activities, including but not limited to: identifying, establishing, developing relationships with executive client decision makers, providing thought leadership to customers, and developing and delivering meaningful learning and performance improvement solutions that align to and support the achievement of desired human capital performance outcomes and business results. This position creates and maintains learning strategies, rolling demand plans, and financial forecasts specific to the discipline/brand that they support. The Sr. Director leads collaborative design thinking across functions within Global Learning, as well as other Marriott disciplines to ensure the design, development, and delivery of learning solutions engage learners and meet strategic objectives.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in Business Administration or related major.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in the areas of human capital consulting, organizational development, human performance technology, change management, or training and development, demonstrating progressive career growth and a pattern of exceptional performance.
- 5 years’ experience in identifying and managing customer & client needs, creatively approaching solutions, and deciding and influencing appropriate courses of action.
- Proven knowledge of, and demonstrated ability applying adult learning theory and instructional design methodologies (e.g., SAM.).
- Proven track record consulting to business leaders and designing, developing, and implementing high impact learning solutions, using blended approaches, e-learning, social learning and traditional delivery methodologies.
- Experience with Consumer-Facing or Revenue-Generating Programs at a Premium Consumer Brand.
- Graduate degree, MS/MBA (or equivalent) in Business Management, Adult Education, Organizational Development, or similar.
- Hospitality/Lodging or Service industry experience.
- Prior experience leading or partnering in the development and implementation of multi-year plans.
- Experience leading organizational change initiatives.
- Skilled at converting business needs into learning solutions and managing the execution of those projects.
- Experience with Call Center talent or operational programs a plus.
- Communicates concepts in a clear and persuasive manner that are easy to understand.
- Strong project management and prioritization skills.
- Thrive in a fast - paced, project-driven organization.
- Exhibits excellent interpersonal skills, leadership and executive presence.
- Comfortable with ambiguity and change with excellent analytical skills where problems are complex.
- Able to work in a deadline driven environment—executing goals and delivering against the objectives of assignments to meet time, budget, and quality criteria; demonstrates initiative.
- Strategic and innovative thinker and agile learner; able to readily apply past learning in new situations to generate solutions to challenges and/or create something entirely new.
- Discuss and apply current performance and learning theories, methodologies, and best practices and experience to the design and delivery of strategic performance interventions.
- Strong knowledge of adult learning principles.
- Strong decision-making skills – able to recognize and research a problem, and to identify its component parts, causes and cost impact.
- Ability to integrate and balance priorities, work activities and resources for the benefit of multiple key stakeholders.
- Broad knowledge of learning interventions and experience in the design of blended learning solutions to include eLearning, virtual instructor led training, and social collaboration.
- Results oriented; delivers results under difficult conditions and demonstrates balanced judgment under pressure.
- Highly organized and able to handle multiple priorities at any given point in time.
- Experienced developing business cases, return on investment models and writing proposals.
- Ability to review deliverables for completeness, quality, and compliance with established standards.
Building Business Relationships
- Builds and sustains key internal customer and external client relationships by analyzing client needs, evaluating and acting on client feedback.
- Serves as primary liaison with brand/discipline leaders providing consultation and thought leadership.
- Demonstrates comprehension of brand/discipline business priorities and an acute understanding of organizational dynamics.
- Establishes credibility and influences a wide range of leaders and cross-functional work teams within a matrix organization.
- Demonstrates ability to assess customer/client needs, creatively approach solutions, influence appropriate courses of action, and manage client expectations.
- Continually reviews stakeholder feedback to identify and communicate current and future needs of internal and external customers as it relates to the initiative planning and prioritization process.
Managing Portfolios & Priorities
- Key point of contact for client organization with responsibility for managing the end-to-end process across the Global Learning organization for program development (project scoping, design, development, delivery, measurement and sustainment).
- Leads demand planning and forecasting to support specific brand/discipline initiatives and business priorities with broader understanding of how learning interventions align with other HR activities.
- Identifies desired outcomes, collaboratively defines learning requirements, and recognizes opportunities to connect initiatives with similar goals.
- Aligns projects with short-and long-range business plans with Learning Innovation and Learning Technology roadmaps.
- Updates stakeholders on key business planning efforts, solicits feedback and engages leadership to develop and execute action plans to address gaps.
- Fosters a positive climate to build effective project teams that are committed to organizational goals and initiatives.
- Liaises with other parts of the Global Learning organization and maintains a day-to-day working relationship with Learning Development lead for brand/discipline supported.
- Leads design sessions, focus groups, pilots, walk-throughs to translate business needs into modern learning solutions as well as implementation, sustainment, and measurement strategies to help transfer acquired knowledge to the job.
- Partners with stakeholders and across Global Learning organization to define project plans and create business cases for investment in learning solutions.
- Validates the solutions with clients and facilitates business case approval and sourcing decisions with brand/discipline leaders and other stakeholders.
- Helps project teams fully understand the business requirements and serves as escalation point for Development project managers.
- Responds to, solves and makes decisions on business requests that have broader team impact and/or moderate risk. Presents alternative solutions to business issues by leveraging the broader organization.
- Monitors existing learning interventions to ensure changing business needs are taken into account in planning, and to ensure continuity and the quality of all training programs.