Senior Director, Operations, Planning and Scheduling - East Region
Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 19000VIE
Job Category Finance and Accounting
Location ATLAS Team, 10400 Fernwood Rd, Bethesda, Maryland, United States VIEW ON MAP
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
As a leader within the Workforce Management COE, the Senior Director of Operations, Planning, and Scheduling works to strategically and innovatively improve Marriott’s labor productivity and financial performance for managed hotels in the United States. Along with the COE Lead and the other members of the leadership team, the Senior Director is accountable for setting the COE’s long term strategic roadmap for continuous improvement and innovation and guaranteeing its delivery.
The Senior Director leads a US region (East or West) and oversees a team of approximately 15 in-market and remote Directors and Senior Managers for Full-Service and MSB hotels who drive performance at the property-level. As part of the COE leadership team, the Senior Director will partner with peers on key COE initiatives.
At the Regional level, the Senior Director partners with Market Leadership (e.g.; RVP Finance, RVP HR, COO, etc.) to inform on progress, define high-priority initiatives and support their service delivery effectiveness. Spending approximately half their time in the field, the Senior Director assists Directors and Senior Managers of Operations, Planning, and Scheduling with any on-property activities as needed and represent the Center of Excellence in regional and functional conferences and touchpoints.
Core Work Activities
Support Regional Operations, Planning and Scheduling Optimization
- Collaborate with Regional Leadership teams to increase adoption and sustainability
- Partner with regional COOs, RVP Human Resources and RVP Finance to drive adoption of Operations, Planning and Scheduling optimizations tools and processes. Cultivate and maintain effective working relationships with leadership regional team and continent level
- Drive Accountability with regional partners to monitor property performance and realize value
- Support Regional priority property initiatives
- Partner with market leadership to align Operations, Planning and Scheduling optimization tools with regional strategies/direction.
- Serve as the voice of Operations, Planning and Scheduling Optimization with regional leadership.
- Prepare performance overview / updates presentations to regional leaders for various meetings
- Provide high-touch, on-property support for properties requiring additional support
- Represent COE at regional functional conferences and touchpoints
- Attend and contribute to regional conferences as appropriate, including Finance, HR and other disciplines
- Monitor and support Directors/Sr. Managers with target identification and achievement
- Analyze dashboards at a regional, area, and sometimes property level, also considering market condition
- Identify low performing outliers and help develop plan for improvement
- Identify high performing outliers and work with Business Intelligence to identify opportunities for optimization across the Region
- Ensure consistency across team members by providing tools, processes and methodologies
- Develop the adoption of the existing tools
- Establish mentoring with more junior team members to help them grow their skills as needed
- Onboard new associates and coordinate with internal stakeholders to organize trainings and set up
- Monitor and evaluate COE performance, in partnership with the Director of Business Intelligence and Analytics
- Track and improve Property and Above Property Relationship Management through stakeholder monitoring and satisfaction surveys
- Monitor delivery of COE tools, reporting and customer service to report any issue and recommend improvement plans
- Oversee COE Talent Management and define next career steps to ensure mobility for the team members
- Oversee on-going training and communications
- Partner with Regional leaders to ensure training and communication is provided to hotels leaders on optimization concepts
- Partner with the COE Change Management team to prioritize training and engagement development needs
- Participate in annual COE Finance Planning activities
Supporting Workforce Management COE Continuous Improvement
- Support design and implementation of COE Continuous Improvement Roadmap
- Define and monitor continuous improvement initiatives
- Participate in optimization opportunity intake validation, prioritization and assessment
- Conduct deployment planning and implementation of optiimizations
- Adaptability - Determines how change impacts self and others; displays flexibility in adjusting priorities; and communicates both the reasons for change and how it impacts the workplace.
- Communication - Customizes approach to conveying complex information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner; appropriately interprets verbal and non-verbal behavior; and models active listening to ensure understanding.
- Problem Solving and Decision Making - Models and coaches others on breaking complex issues into manageable parts, identifying and evaluating alternatives and their implications before making decisions, and involving and gaining agreement from others when making key decisions.
- Professional Demeanor - Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
- Building and Contributing to Teams - Leads and participates as a member of a team to move the team toward the completion of common goals while fostering cohesion and collaboration among team members.
- Driving for Results - Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively acts and goes beyond what is required.
- Planning and Organizing - Gathers information and resources required to set a plan of action for self and/or others; prioritizes and arranges work requirements for self and/or others to accomplish goals and ensure work is completed.
- Coworker Relationships - Interacts with others in a way that builds openness, trust, and confidence in the pursuit of organizational goals and lasting relationships.
- Customer Relationships - Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer needs and actions consistent with the company’s service standards.
- Global Mindset - Supports employees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
- Executive Presence – Ability to develop and maintain relationships as well as influce others through his/her interpersonal skills at all levels.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
- Talent Management - Provides guidance and feedback to help individuals develop and strengthen skills and abilities needed to accomplish work objectives.
- Organizational Capaibiltiy - Identify performance outliers within Workforce Management team and as appropriate design their improvement plans and coordinate learning sessions with top performers
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise
- Applied Learning - Seeks and makes the most of learning opportunities to improve performance of self and/or others.
- Business Acumen - Understands and utilizes business information to manage everyday operations and generate innovative solutions to approach team, business, and administrative challenges.
- Technical Acumen - Understands and utilizes professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct.
- General Hotel Operations-Knowledge of the operating principles and practices of all brand/hotel-specific functions to support successful operations of the overall property (e.g., Engineering/Maintenance, Event Management, Finance and Accounting, Human Resources, Legal/Contracting, Food and Beverage, Guest Services/Front Desk, Sales & Marketing, Security/Loss Prevention, Retail/Gift Shops, Spa, and Recreation/Health Club).
- Detail Orientation-The ability to attend to and verify the accuracy and completeness of details in work activities. This includes focusing on the small details of work activities and taking the necessary time to ensure that all the details of completed work are correct and of high quality.
- Owner Service-Skill in anticipating and assessing needs, actively looking for ways to help, exceeding expectations for service, and evaluating satisfaction for owners.
Core Competencies - Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing core work activities.
- Strong Communication Skills - Demonstrates ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Strong Writing Skills - Communicates effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Analytical skills and Data-Savviness – Can effectively review, understand and apply knowledge presented in large volumes of data and perform analytics as appropriate.
- 4-year bachelor's degree in Business, Hospitality or related field preferred
- 7 – 10 years of hotel management experience required (10+ preferred)
- Prior experience in large scale business planning, feasibility studies, and/or project management is also required.
- Ability to strategically assess and define the needs of the organization to create innovative solutions and/or customize consistent solutions is critical to the success of this role and the Workforce Management team
- Experience with Microsoft Office, specifically, a high level of proficiency with Excel and PowerPoint, as well as decision support tools and multi-dimensional database solutions.