Vice President, Talent Acquisition & Talent Management Solutions - Asia Pacific
Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 19000RK8
Job Category Human Resources
Location Asia/Pacif/Australia Region, Suite 1108 11th Floor Cityplaza One, Hong Kong S.A.R., Hong Kong, Hong Kong S.A.R. VIEW ON MAP
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
The Vice President, Talent Acquisition & Talent Management Solutions – Asia Pacific is a key member of the AP senior HR leadership team and reports directly to the Chief Human Resources Officer – AP (CHRO).
The incumbent partners, influences, and coordinates with Global Talent Acquisition and Employer Branding (TA) and Talent Management, Analytics & Solutions (TMAS) Centers of Expertise (COEs) to ensure that all strategies, programs and resources are aligned to the overall COE strategy and platforms, represent the needs and localization requirements of Asia Pacific, and execute Global TA and TMAS priorities within the Continent. Works closely with the Chiefs, Continent HR Team, VP HRs and Area/Market VPs to create local strategies and solutions on talent acquisition and talent management to address market specific challenges.
Partners with the Continent HR leadership team and senior continent executives (e.g. VPs and Chief Officers) to identify and prioritize needs, and formulize strategies for key talent acquisition life cycle including sourcing, attraction, assessment, and recruiting; supports the implementation and execution of continent/discipline talent acquisition strategies and programs, processes and systems to meet the talent acquisition needs of the Continent/discipline.
Develops talent management strategies and solutions aligned with Continent and market business priorities. Leads the human capital planning process to include talent reviews, succession planning and workforce planning. Ensures performance management and associate engagement tools are effectively implemented.
Work with Continent leadership team to define Asia Pacific’s Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) agenda, and ensures that the D&I priorities are embedded in talent acquisition and talent management strategies and solutions.
Education and Experience
· University degree required, and advanced degree preferred.
· Minimum 15 years of experience in HR, talent acquisition and/or talent management in large complex organizations
· Previous on-property senior HR Management experience preferred and/or recruitment specialist experience (corporate or “headhunter”)
· Previous experience working in an organization with globally dispersed operations and implementing program across different countries required. Knowledge of the Asia Pacific region required.
· Previous experience in hospitality/service industry or industry with field-based operations preferred.
· Ability to travel extensively in the Asia Pacific region and potentially other international locations.
· Experience with both global and continent projects.
Skills and Attributes
· Prior success in the creation and implementation of talent planning, sourcing, recruiting and deployment strategies for global client groups.
· Demonstrated ability to consult with HR colleagues and business leaders on complex business issues. Ability to deal effectively with ambiguity.
· Ability to influence and engage global business partners and gain support for solutions to talent challenges.
· Effective negotiation, influencing and conflict management skills
· Proven ability to use metrics and data analysis to identify and resolve process efficiency issues.
· Knowledge of talent acquisition technologies and systems
· Excellent English verbal and written communication skills. Proficiency in verbal and written Chinese is also required.
· Strong interviewing and assessment skills at executive level
· Knowledge of overall hotel operations as they affect department working and business success.
· Knowledge of governmental regulations particularly around recruitment and employment.
· Financial management skills e.g., ability to analyze P&L statements, develop operating budgets
· Ability to use standard software applications and hotel systems particularly word, excel, power point
· Strategic planning and analytics skills
· Ability to evaluate business trends, determine applicability to Marriott and modify business strategies accordingly
· Ability to creatively execute against the strategy and drive results; can originate and invent new ways to create a high performing work environment and maximize the return on talent
· Ability to work independently and take constructive action without relying on directions from others
· Ability to network and build relationships to grow the business
· Ability to exercise flexibility in order to accomplish goals
· Effective problem-solving and decision-making skills; can choose a course of action amongst options involving uncertainty or risk; encourages new innovative solutions when appropriate
· Strong communication and presentation skills (verbal, listening, writing)
· Champions excellence in business ethics and integrity, social responsibility, cross-cultural effectiveness, and associate engagement.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Talent Acquisition Strategies, Processes, Programs and Solutions
· Partners with Global COE on the design and development of talent acquisition strategies, programs and other solutions that meet the needs of the Continent. Leads their implementation, ongoing monitoring and sustainability in the Continent to ensure maximum effectiveness and compliance across the combined organization.
· Drives and communicates talent acquisition strategy and initiatives for the continent with specific focus on growth and other priority markets.
· Drives the design, development and execution of innovative and cost-effective recruiting plans and activities to meet the growth objectives across the Region
· Works with the VP HRs, and Market/AVPs to identify the talent needs, prioritize those needs and implement effective solutions. Assess, on an on-going basis, hotel needs and competencies required to fill upcoming openings; work with resources to ensure workforce planning is aligned with needs. Partners closely with VP HRs on effective usage and implementation of the various talent acquisition programs.
· Champions the company talent acquisition, selection and talent management processes, policies and tools. Supports their effective execution, compliance and quality results.
· Supports property recruiting efforts by ensuring the appropriate education, training and/or tools are provided to properties in a timely and efficient manner. Organizes designs and delivers Talent Acquisition training to support the rollout and sustainment of initiatives and programs. Utilizes relevant resources and partnerships as needed to execute this effectively
· Understands market conditions for targeted talent pools and prepares distinct and effective recruiting approaches to attract the best talent in each market. Facilitates the development of pipeline talent for hard to fill positions in the continent. Provides talent acquisition support to specific disciplines to assist with key staffing projects and challenges.
· Acts as the continent Talent Acquisition subject matter expert in support of DHR questions, challenges and concerns.
· Keeps abreast of best recruitment practices within and in other regions (as well as external “cutting edge” external activities) and implements as appropriate. Looks to challenge traditional recruitment thinking & find opportunities to include candidates from non-traditional sourcess
Senior Executive Level Roles Sourcing and Recruiting
· Partners with VP-HRs on GM staffing strategies and workforce planning process
· Works with HR services team for above property hiring process as needed.
· Develops strategies and solutions for hard to fill positions .
College Relations and Graduate Program
· Creates and drives a University Relations strategy for the continent, to include representation at Career Fairs, Hotel Schools and other recruitment channels. Drive the Global Voyage Program in the continent. Partners with market HR leaders to tailor plans by area/market.
Relationship Recruitment Strategy
· Manages the Continents relationship recruiting based programs, coordinates property training, monitors and analyzes usage and leverages database of relationships to identify potential talent for open positions; measures effectiveness and promote successes.
· Leads the implementation, sustainment and maintenance of recruitment technology within the Continent in partnership with the Global TA COE.
· Partners with the Global Selection COE (TMAS) to inform the development of selection processes in the continent...
· Implements non-management and management talent assessment tools that support the company objectives and identifies best talent in a timely, effective and efficient manner; ensures compliance of Global Selection policies and programs.
TA Reporting & Analytics
· Uses reports and qualitative input from end users to monitor and evaluate the overall performance of recruiting efforts in the continent. Analyzes the impact of sourcing strategies and re-aligns as appropriate
Employer Branding Strategy and Social Media
· Partners with Employment Branding to ensure Marriott International’s employment branding programs including talent acquisition related advertising, online postings and correspondence templates have been appropriately coordinated and approved. Identifies any specific requirements and contributes to employment branding for various above property and on property needs.
· Ensures that the continent follows the appropriate employer branding materials and messaging; ensures that the continent HR professionals are properly educated on what materials to use in each case. Monitors recruitment campaign and drives throughout the continent.
· Builds joint efforts to increase effectiveness of employer branding and preferred employer awareness within the continent. Participates in social media efforts in the continent in support of local recruiting and branding efforts.
· Provides expertise and guidance to HR Leaders and recruiters on the effective and appropriate use of social media channels and job boards in relation to talent acquisition. Ensures compliance with related company policies.
Talent Management Strategies, Processes, Programs and Solutions
· Partners with Global COE (TMAS) on the design and development of talent management strategies, programs and other solutions that meet the needs of the Continent. Leads their implementation, ongoing monitoring and sustainability in the Continent to ensure maximum effectiveness and compliance across the combined organization.
· Drives and communicates talent management strategy and initiatives for the continent with specific focus on growth, associate engagement and other priority markets.
· Drives the design, development and execution of innovative talent management tools and activities to meet the Continent’s and disciplines’ objectives.
· Works with the discipline leaders, VP HRs, and Market/AVPs to assess and identify talent issues and priorities, and implement effective solutions. Partners closely with VP HRs on effective usage and implementation of the various talent management programs.
· Champions the company talent management processes, policies and tools. Supports their effective execution, compliance and quality results.
· Acts as the continent Talent Management subject matter expert in support of questions, challenges and concerns.
Human Capital Planning
· Partners with CHRO on HR succession planning process for the continent.
· Partners with CHRO, VP, HR – APEC and VP, HR – China to:
o Ensure succession planning strategy is implemented for all property and continent leadership levels.
o Ensure relevant property and above property leaders are trained and aware on how to effectively use various talent development, human capital and succession planning tools.
o Ensure Human Capital Reviews for hotel leadership and above property leadership are conducted.
· Facilitates Workforce and Succession Planning sessions for the continent.
· Works with Learning & Development to identify development programs to develop future leadership talent.
· Leads the annual lifecycle of Performance Management for the continent to include overall program review, adjustments to communications and job aids, logistics for cycle management, and ongoing reporting.
· Partners with the TMAS COE to provide recommended changes to the overall program based on continent feedback.
· Leads the annual lifecycle of the Associate Engagement Survey for the continent.
· Partners with the TMAS COE to provide feedback on recommended changes to ensure the survey meets business needs and is relevant across geographies, languages, brands, disciplines, and associate populations within the continent.
Diversity & Inclusion
· In conjunction with Continent leadership, helps define the D&I focus and priorities for Asia Pacific.
· Ensures the D&I priorities are embedded in various talent acquisition, talent management and learning & development priorities and strategies.
· Champions the implement of D&I initiatives and activities in partnership with HR and other discipline senior leaders.
· Leads and manages a diverse continent and market TA and TM teams in geographically dispersed locations.
· Identifies and manages relationships with continent vendors; assesses vendor impact/results.
· Communication - Conveys information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner through a variety of methods.
· Leading Through Vision and Values - Keeps the organization's vision and values at the forefront of decision making and action.
· Managing Change - Initiates and/or manages the change process and energizes it on an ongoing basis, taking steps to remove barriers or accelerate its pace; serves as role model for how to handle change by maintaining composure and performance level under pressure or when experiencing challenges.
· Problem Solving and Decision Making - Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; obtains and compares information from different sources to draw conclusions, develops and evaluates alternatives and solutions, solves problems, and chooses a course of action.
· Professional Demeanor - Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
· Strategy Development - Develops business plans by exploring and systematically evaluating opportunities with the greatest potential for producing positive results; ensures successful preparation and execution of business plans through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
· Building a Successful Team - Uses an effective interpersonal style to build a cohesive team; inspires and sustains team cohesion and engagement by focusing the team on its mission and importance to the organization.
· Strategy Execution – Ensures successful execution across of business plans designed to maximize customer satisfaction, profitability, and market share through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
· Driving for Results - Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required.
· Customer Relationships - Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer/stakeholder needs and actions consistent with the company’s service standards.
· Global Mindset - Supports employees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
· Strategic Partnerships - Develops collaborative relationships with fellow employees and business partners by making them feel valued, appreciated, and included; explores partnership opportunities with other people in and outside the organization; influences and leverages corporate and continental shared services and/or discipline leaders (e.g., HR, Sales & Marketing, Finance, Revenue Management) to achieve objectives; maintains effective external relations with government, business and industry in respective countries; performs effectively as a liaison between locations, disciplines, and corporate to ensure needed resources are received and corporate strategies are understood and executed.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
· Organizational Capability - Evaluates and adapts the structure of assignments and work processes to best fit the needs and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
· Talent Management - Provides guidance and feedback to help individuals develop and strengthen skills and abilities needed to accomplish work objectives.
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise
· Technical Acumen - Understands and utilizes professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges.
o Talent Acquisition-Designs, develops and executes tools and processes associated with employee recruitment, hiring, and onboarding.
o Human Resources Systems and Tools-Uses Human Resources systems and tools (e.g., web applications, software, surveys) in accordance with company standards and policies as well as industry best practices.
· Basic Competencies - Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities.
o Basic Computer Skills - Uses basic computer hardware and software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software, Internet browsers, etc.).
o Mathematical Reasoning - Adds, subtracts, multiplies, or divides quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows one to solve work-related issues.
o Oral Comprehension - Listens to and understands information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
o Reading Comprehension - Understands written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
o Writing - Communicates effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.