Assistant Manager, Accounting
Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 19000EVX
Job Category Finance and Accounting
Location Marriott International HQ, Bethesda, Maryland VIEW ON MAP
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
The Assistant Manager will report directly to the Manager – International and be an integral member of the Financial Reporting & Analysis team. This highly motivated individual will be responsible for continent financial P&L reporting and planning for one or more International continents comprised mostly of hotels representing various International brands. The Assistant Manager will be responsible for developing technological improvements to current P&L reporting and planning processes. This person will be involved in special projects and must be able to manage multiple tasks at the same time.
Overall Responsibilities include:
- Prepare monthly and quarterly reporting and analysis functions for International hotels for one or more International continents. This includes review of managed operating results for accuracy, preparation of profit and loss statements, foreign exchange analysis, profit bridges, statistics, external sales, Board of Directors packages, and other financial and statistical supporting schedules.
- Design and develop financial reports, queries and ad-hoc analytical schedules as requested by Senior Management and the continent Finance Business Partners.
- Coordinate with the continent Finance Business Partners to maintain a list of risks and opportunities as they relate to the continent results. The list will include properties that are deemed risks on the impairment and guarantee schedules as well as on Asset Management Advisory Committee (AMAC) and Corporate Growth Committee (CGC) documents.
- Ensure that all financial reports are completed accurately, on a timely basis and in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
- Partner between the continent Finance Business Partners, Revenue Accounting, Business Process Governance, Tax, Treasury Accounting Services (TAS), Global Design Services, Financial Application Business Support (FABS) and Accenture Hospitality Services (AHS). Ensure that issues are identified and resolved on a timely basis and that the appropriate personnel are involved. Communicate major issues and resolutions as appropriate.
- Evaluate opportunities to leverage reporting tools in the consolidated reporting processes for International continents. Work closely with the continent Finance Business Partners to identify alternatives to streamline reporting processes to facilitate actual and forecast reporting including the utilization of Hyperion Essbase & HFM. Review recommendations with management and lead implementation efforts of new reporting concepts.
- Prepare hotel or entity level reporting for priority hotels, such as Owned/Leased hotels, to identify operational trends that impact MI earnings and alert senior management.
- Prepare continent operating profit variance explanations for actual results in comparison to last year, forecast, guidance and budget.
- Complete all required continent flux analysis and reporting to support Marriott’s external financial reporting.
- Prepare foreign exchange analysis to determine impact of currency fluctuations on MI earnings.
- Participate in the creation of the business plan and budget cycle project plans, coordinate with Finance Business Partners, Revenue Accounting, CFSA and FABS to meet corporate deadlines and reporting requirements.
- Prepare the annual business plan for one or more International continents. This includes preparation of the Profit & Loss statement and hotel RevPAR statistics analysis as well as various other supporting financial schedules.
- Assist with ensuring the business plan and annual budget data is loaded into PeopleSoft and reconcile the results between HFM and the Corporate Planning Cube.
- Review the incentive management fee “percent away” analysis performed by Financial Contract Compliance for planning cycles and coordinate results with International Continent Finance Business partners.
- Coordinate the New Unit reporting process with Development and the Continent Offices. Submit New Unit maintenance for expected openings. Prepare journal entry data into PeopleSoft and reconcile Essbase cube results to Development.
- Prepare operating profit expense analysis to determine forecast and budget amounts for International continents and analyze results against current trending rates.
- Assist in developing and maintaining models for continent use to review managed and franchised RevPAR, margin and fee targets for the Business Plan, Budget and LRP cycles.
- Coordinate new unit openings and closings with AHS and FABS by ensuring appropriate general ledger and other financial systems are established. Assist with the removal of de-flagged properties by coordinating closing entries and necessary system maintenance with FABS and continent office contacts.
- Analyze statistical RevPAR data received from the properties. Determine if all data is being reported consistently, identify, research and resolve variances, and evaluate and report current trends.
- Participate in the preparation of the monthly P&L forecast for the continents. Analyze activity ensuring an accurate and reasonable forecast. Research and explain unusual activity and variances to prior forecasts.
- Prepare reporting packages for stakeholders such as Investor Relations and Owner Franchise Services.
- Assist in the preparation of various schedules included in the quarterly SEC reporting packages.
- Identify opportunities to streamline financial reporting processes for the International hotels leveraging PeopleSoft, EPM and Hyperion cube capabilities. Assist in the design and implementation of process changes for the recording of transactions as the need arises.
- Assist with the process to modify and maintain existing combo edits, product, department and account trees as well as supply any necessary Hyperion maintenance on behalf of the International continents.
- Complete special reporting and analytical projects as assigned by senior management within Financial Reporting and Analysis.
- Participate in the annual audit process. Prepare interim and year-end P&L PBC’s for the International continents.
- Four + years of progressive job experience in accounting.
- Experience with international accounting and foreign exchange analysis a plus.
- Occasional availability during non-traditional work hours to attend conference calls with continent leaders.
- Ability to establish positive working relationship over the phone.
- Strong computer skills. Experience with spreadsheet-based programs (Excel). PeopleSoft, HFM and Hyperion Essbase Cube experience a plus.
- Experience in Marriott Lodging or other MI business, a plus.
- Public accounting experience is a plus.
- Ability to work on and prioritize multiple projects while meeting required goals and deadlines.
- Strong customer relations skills with a focus on customer service.
- Positive attitude and a high level of enthusiasm and energy.
- Self-starter and highly motivated.
- Strong interpersonal skills. Ability to work effectively with peers, subordinates and all levels of management.
- Strong organizational skills. Effective in prioritizing work and following through on commitments.
- Strong communication skills. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills – ability to develop alternatives and solutions.
- Ability to succinctly summarize financial findings.
- Ability to develop and execute a work plan.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting.
- CPA preferred.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.