Senior Manager, Information Security - Network Security
Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 18003HZK
Job Category Information Technology
Location Marriott International HQ, 10400 Fernwood Road, Bethesda, Maryland, United States VIEW ON MAP
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
The Network Security Engineer has responsibility for researching, designing, engineering, implementing, and supporting network security solutions. This role utilizes in-depth technical knowledge and business requirements to help design and implement a secure solution. This role will be responsible for system design; standards based implementation, capacity planning, systems integration, process / procedure development and refinement, and technical support.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Sciences or related field or equivalent experience/certification
- 7+ years of information technology experience with 4+ years of experience in network security in one or more of the following:
- Professional level understanding of common network security controls, especially firewalls and intrusion prevention systems.
- Experience performing technical planning, system integration, verification and validation, risk analysis, supportability and effectiveness analyses for network environment, performance and capacity management.
- In-depth knowledge of security concepts related to DNS, routing, authentication, VPN, and proxy services, security analytics, DDoS mitigation
- Advance, hands-on experience working with IDS/IPS, VPNs (IPSEC, SSL), DNS, Load Balancing, Network Security techniques/best practices, IP Networking, and Firewall monitoring
- Experience in traffic flow analysis, network security management and performance, network topology design, and fault tolerant architecture
- Strong working and practical knowledge of TCP/IP and UDP/IP networking, and IPv4 and IPv6 suite.
- Experience with IEEE standards 802.3, 802.11 and 802.15
- Experience using log analysis tools to troubleshoot issues and to plan for future requirements.
- Knowledge in Software Defined Networking (SDN), and network micro segmentation.
- Policy creation and rule design and updates for the administration security control systems
- Technical writing/creation of formal documentation such as architecture diagrams, technical designs, and SOPs
- Demonstrated knowledge of common information security management frameworks such as ISO/IEC 27001, ITIL, CIS and NIST and an understanding of relevant legal and regulatory requirements for Payment Card Industry/Data Security Standard.
- Current information security certification, including Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP), Certified Information Security Manager (CISM), or other.
- Good understanding of network and server virtualization.
- Project management skills
- Excellent communication skills and problem solving ability
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and with others
- Ability to manage the details and compliance with standards and expectations
Network Security Engineering and Governance
- Lead the development of network security requirements and success criteria through collaboration with internal and external customers. Leverage these criteria and integrate business and technical knowledge when designing and developing solutions to deliver optimal, elegant solutions that meet functional and non-functional requirements while delivering the best value and user experience.
- Apply proven communication, analytical, and problem-solving skills to help identify, communicate, and resolve issues in order to maximize the benefit of IT systems investments
- Full life-cycle support for critical network security technology from ideation and strategic planning through retirement and decommissioning for all engineering and operational needs.
- Sustain high-availability service levels and ensure fulfillment of business-wide service levels and operational support objectives.
- Collaborate with network staff to ensure smooth and reliable operation of software and systems for fulfilling business objectives and processes
- Assist in Security Engineering Design and Implementation. Plan, research, and design robust security architectures based on current security best practices and industry frameworks.
- Develop and maintain up-to-date baselines for the secure configuration and operations of all in-place systems.
- Maintain proper documentation including configuration specifics and procedures, for implementation and ongoing operation/maintenance of infrastructure solutions, and related to system configuration, mapping, processes, and service records
- Verify network, wireless and firewall security systems by conducting reviews and policy assessments.
- Recommend new and emerging technologies to solve business problems.
- Participate in application and infrastructure projects to provide security planning and guidance
- Perform risk analysis and security assessments on the enterprise network environment, 3rd party hosting centers and partner networks
- Monitor network security to protect against external, internal, and/or programmatic attacks
- Utilize network monitoring software to ensure timely alerts and response to network issues
- Serve as an escalation point for network systems operational issues
- Create and maintain documentation as it relates to system configuration, mapping, processes, and service records
- Investigate developing network technologies and provide recommendations regarding the future application of such technologies and related productivity gains
- Communication - Conveys information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner through a variety of methods.
- Leading Through Vision and Values - Keeps the organization's vision and values at the forefront of employee decision making and action.
- Managing Change - Initiates and/or manages the change process and energizes it on an ongoing basis, taking steps to remove barriers or accelerate its pace; serves as role model for how to handle change by maintaining composure and performance level under pressure or when experiencing challenges.
- Problem Solving and Decision Making - Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; obtains and compares information from different sources to draw conclusions, develops and evaluates alternatives and solutions, solves problems, and chooses a course of action.
- Professional Demeanor - Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
- Strategy Development - Develops business plans by exploring and systematically evaluating opportunities with the greatest potential for producing positive results; ensures successful preparation and execution of business plans through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
- Building a Successful Team - Uses an effective interpersonal style to build a cohesive team; inspires and sustains team cohesion and engagement by focusing the team on its mission and importance to the organization.
- Strategy Execution – Ensures successful execution across of business plans designed to maximize customer satisfaction, profitability, and market share through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
- Driving for Results - Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required.
- Customer Relationships - Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer/stakeholder needs and actions consistent with the company’s service standards.
- Global Mindset - Supports employees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
- Strategic Partnerships - Develops collaborative relationships with fellow employees and business partners by making them feel valued, appreciated, and included; explores partnership opportunities with other people in and outside the organization; influences and leverages corporate and continental shared services and/or discipline leaders (e.g., HR, Sales & Marketing, Finance, Revenue Management) to achieve objectives; maintains effective external relations with government, business and industry in respective countries; performs effectively as a liaison between locations, disciplines, and corporate to ensure needed resources are received and corporate strategies are understood and executed.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
- Developing Others - Supports the development of other’s skills and capabilities so that they can fulfill current or future job/role responsibilities more effectively.
- Organizational Capability - Evaluates and adapts the structure of assignments and work processes to best fit the needs and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise
- Continuous Learning - Actively identifies new areas for learning; regularly creates and takes advantage of learning opportunities; uses newly gained knowledge and skill on the job and learns through their application.
- Technical Acumen - Understanding and utilizing professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges
- Technical Intelligence: Knowledge and ability to define and apply appropriate technology to enhance business process
- Development Methodologies: Knowledge of general stages of SDLC framework and the application tiers within the development space.
- Information Security: Knowledge of the security considerations relevant within the development space, including industry best practices related to information security
- Business Acumen - Understands and utilizes business information to manage everyday operations and generate innovative solutions to approach business and administrative challenges.
- Basic Competencies - Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities.
- Basic Computer Skills - Using basic computer hardware and software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software, Internet browsers, etc.).
- Mathematical Reasoning - The ability to add, subtract, multiply, or divide quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows one to solve work-related issues.
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.