Manager, Business Continuity
Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 18003FM5
Job Category Finance and Accounting
Location Marriott International HQ, Bethesda, Maryland VIEW ON MAP
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
Business Continuity Function
Marriott’s Business Continuity Office helps protect corporate assets from significant business interruptions by working with other departments and risk management disciplines to build operational resiliency. The BCO helps the organization prepare to respond to adverse incidents with effective emergency response, crisis management, disaster recovery, and business resumption plans. Marriott's business continuity program provides support across the organization, assisting continent leadership teams, properties, departments, and office facilities plan for business interruptions and crises. The principal goals of the BCO are to participate in the identification and mitigation of disruption risk, plan for those risks, and if necessary, respond timely and appropriately when they occur.
As a member of the professional staff, the Manager contributes a high level of specialized knowledge, experience, and business continuity skill to support the objectives of the Company and Risk Management departments. This position works both collaboratively, helping departments and process owners develop operating plans and strategies for business processes, and independently crafting and aligning strategies into holistic and repeatable responses for broader business objectives and disruption response.
Reporting to the Director, the Manager will assist in the maintenance of Marriott’s business continuity program. Specifically, the successful candidate who fills this position will:
- Assist the Director, BCP in leading the annual above-property business continuity planning process
- Facilitate the development of business continuity plans and procedures for Marriott International Headquarters and other corporate locations. This will require performing the role of BCP Strategist, the primary point-of-contact, for 50% to 70% of the corporate departments and disciplines at Marriott International Headquarters and other above-property locations, for the development of their business continuity plans and procedures. The plans for which the Manager is accountable are plans deemed less complex and/or less critical to the organization.
- Assist departments in identifying business processes and functions and their acceptable recovery time periods, suggesting and developing appropriate recovery strategies.
- Support the administration of the BCP planning software (currently Fusion Risk Management) by:
- Maintaining plans within the hierarchical structure determined by the Sr. Director and other department leadership
- Write and manage reports
- Deliver training to users
- Support users
- Report software issues and enhancement requests.
- Assist in the development and management of Emergency Preparedness Plans for Marriott above-property locations.
- Develop and enhance methods to increase awareness of business continuity issues.
- Coordinate routine updates to the detailed information supporting all business continuity plans and procedures.
- Assist in the development of schedules for annual business continuity documentation maintenance and update, exercises, and independent review and validation.
- Provide expertise and support to business continuity plan owners, as requested, when a business disruption occurs.
- Assist in the review and revision of existing plans and procedures. Facilitating the testing and exercising of business continuity plans as required.
- Assist in the management and completion of less complex projects at the direction of the Director and Sr. Director
- Complete other duties as assigned
Desired Primary Attributes and Competencies
- Knowledge of business continuity planning
- Project management skills, the ability to manage multiple projects from start to finish.
- Ability to embrace a culture of growth and change while still achieving goals.
- Ability to relate to and communicate with associates of all backgrounds and at all levels in the company.
- Ability to manage multiple projects from start to finish.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to interface with all levels of management and at multiple levels within the organization.
- High degree of initiative, personal responsibility and ownership.
- Ability to execute responsibilities in a timely and accurate manner.
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to develop a working knowledge of the organization and the ability to develop a clear understanding of the company’s key functional processes and resources.
Successful candidates should possess knowledge and experience as follows:
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field strongly desired.
- At least 3 years of business continuity, disaster recovery, or crisis management experience.
- Knowledge of current business continuity planning techniques and technologies, as well as the methods used in performing business impact and risk assessments.
- Knowledge of The Fusion Framework business continuity planning tool and/or Salesforce based applications highly desirable.
- Working knowledge of data processing and data/voice telecommunications preferred.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office software
- Limited Travel, including international travel, will be required (Less than 10% of the time)
- Knowledge of the Fusion Framework BCP software or the capability to gain the knowledge
- Ability to work outside of normal office hours (nights and weekends) during crises events, business interruptions, or to support international departments.
- Off-hour on-call support may be required (Not frequently).
- Contact with relevant professional organizations is encouraged.