Manager, Business Continuity - Emergency Response Planning
Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 18003FM4
Job Category Finance and Accounting
Location Marriott International HQ, Bethesda, Maryland VIEW ON MAP
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
Business Continuity Function
Marriott’s Business Continuity Office helps protect corporate assets from significant business interruptions by working with other departments and risk management disciplines to build operational resiliency. The BCO helps the organization prepare to respond to adverse incidents with effective emergency response, crisis management, disaster recovery, and business resumption plans. Marriott's business continuity program provides support across the organization, assisting continent leadership teams, properties, departments, and office facilities plan for business interruptions and crises. The principal goals of the BCO are to participate in the identification and mitigation of disruption risk, plan for those risks, and if necessary, respond timely and appropriately when they occur.
As a member of the professional staff, the Emergency Response Plan (ERP) Manager contributes specialized knowledge, experience, and business continuity skill to support the objectives of the Company and Risk Management departments. This position works both collaboratively, helping Marriott managed properties to develop operating plans and strategies for emergency response, and independently, crafting and aligning strategies into holistic and repeatable responses for broader business objectives and disruption response.
Reporting to the Director, the ERP Manager will assist in the maintenance of Marriott’s business continuity program. Specifically, the successful candidate who fills this position will:
- Manage, at the direction of the Director, BCP, the annual property ERP building process
- Facilitate the development and maintenance of emergency response plans and procedures for Marriott managed properties.
- This will require performing the role of ERP Analyst, the primary point-of-contact, for approximately 10-15% of Marriott’s managed properties.
- The plans for which the Manager is accountable are plans deemed more complex and/or more critical to the organization. These may be plans for larger full-service properties.
- Be accountable for all property emergency response plans (ERPs) and will:
- Supervise and train the ERP Staff Professional responsible for completion of the property ERPs.
- In consultation with the Director, coordinate the schedule for plan completion with the ERP Staff Professional and manage communication to property personnel.
- Consult with Global Safety and Security regarding procedures required for emergency response and crisis escalation. Include those procedures in ERPs and direct the ERP Staff Professional to include them also.
- Maintain plan consistency across all plans,
- Where other emergency response and manual work-around procedures are available, coordinate with the Director and include them in the emergency response plans.
- Support the administration of the BCP planning software (currently Fusion Risk Management) by:
- Maintaining plans within the hierarchical structure determined by department leadership
- Write and manage reports
- Deliver training to users
- Support users
- Report software issues and enhancement requests.
- Develop and enhance methods to increase awareness of emergency response and business continuity issues.
- Coordinate routine updates to the detailed information supporting all emergency response plans and procedures.
- Assist in the development of schedules for annual emergency response plan exercise documentation.
- Be aware of, and assist in the maintenance of, emergency notification tools so that they remain in state of readiness for use in emergency events.
- Serve as an alternate Crisis Logistics Coordinator in partnership with Global Safety & Security. This role coordinates emergency and crisis response activities during potential disruption events and manages communication, note-taking, and after-action reporting with crisis participants.
- Work with the ERP Staff Professional to maintain licenses for the ERP software for ERP plan owners.
- Provide expertise and support to plan owners when a business disruption occurs.
- Assist in the review and revision of existing plans and procedures.
- Direct ERP plan owners on the testing and exercising of Emergency Response plans, as required so that they maintain compliance with the testing provisions of Marriott business continuity policy.
- Assist in the management and completion of less complex projects at the direction of the Director and Sr. Director
- Complete other duties as assigned.
Desired Primary Attributes and Competencies
- Knowledge of business continuity planning
- Project management skills, the ability to manage multiple projects from start to finish.
- Ability to embrace a culture of growth and change while still achieving goals.
- Ability to relate to and communicate with associates of all backgrounds and at all levels in the company.
- Ability to manage multiple projects from start to finish.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to interface with all levels of management and at multiple levels within the organization.
- High degree of initiative, personal responsibility and ownership.
- Ability to execute responsibilities in a timely and accurate manner.
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to develop a working knowledge of the organization and the ability to develop a clear understanding of the company’s key functional processes and resources.
Successful candidates should possess knowledge and experience as follows:
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field strongly desired.
- At least 2 years of business continuity, disaster recovery, project management, or crisis management experience.
- Knowledge of current business continuity planning techniques and technologies, as well as the methods used in performing business impact and risk assessments.
- Knowledge of The Fusion Framework business continuity planning tool and/or Salesforce based applications highly desirable.
- Working knowledge of data processing and data/voice telecommunications preferred.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office software
- Limited Travel, including international travel, may be required (Less than 10% of the time)
- Knowledge of the Fusion Framework BCP software or the capability to gain the knowledge
- Ability to work outside of normal office hours (nights and weekends) during crises events, business interruptions, or to support international departments.
- Off-hour on-call support may be required (Not frequently).
- Contact with relevant professional organizations is encouraged.