Senior Director, Brand Management, Courtyard
Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 18003D7W
Job Category Brand Management
Location Marriott International HQ, Bethesda, Maryland VIEW ON MAP
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
One of the overarching roles of the BMSC discipline is to enhance the performance and positioning of brands within their competitive segments, and to ensure that Marriott International’s portfolio of brands provide maximum value to the enterprise. Within the Brand Management team, each of Marriott International’s brands or combination of brands are managed by a designated leader and corresponding infrastructure.
The Senior Director, Brand Management (Courtyard) is a key member of the Global Brand Management team. This role leads efforts in defining the guest experience in a way that is consistent with the brand business models and creates maximum profitability. This experience ranges from building brand preference for both customers and investors, to on-site product and service touch points. To lead this, the Brand Senior Director will be accountable for: 1) establishing the brand strategy and multi-year planning, 2) execution of the strategy by cross-functional resources, and 3) managing the business model & driving brand performance. This role focuses on driving the experience internally, through training programs and internal marketing platforms.
- 4-year degree from an accredited university in Business Administration, Marketing, or related. MBA.
- 10+ years of relevant professional experience in brand management or product management experience
- Lifestyle lodging industry experience
- Contributes to the development of a compelling and differentiated brand strategy, leveraging the brands’ consumer, competitive, and other stakeholder profiles and needs.
- Leads the creation and delivery of strategic brand business plans, inclusive of a viable economic strategy, product and service model, brand positioning, value proposition definition, competitive strategies (for product, service, growth, demand generation).
- Establishes new initiatives and projects for the brand to pull through strategy for the designated brand.
- Creates project plans, guides and engages respective project teams throughout the project from kick off to implementation
- Informs business strategies, plans and initiatives with relevant consumer and market trend data
- Partners with Consumer Insights team to spot trends, innovative ideas, and practices relevant for the brand.
- Sets direction for initiatives that improve brand performance
- Acts as the project leader/project manager with the following responsibilities:
- Accountable for delivering the results of the project
- Provide brand content guidance to the project
- Participate in review cycles at key milestones & provide go/no-go decision
- Sign off on deliverables
- Actively participate in ideation sessions
- Contribute to concept definition & development
- Help develop & drive implementation plan
- Ensure appropriate sponsorship and resourcing
- Establish key milestones and approval roles
- Ensure timely delivery against milestones
- Serves as customer advocate by helping resources understand target consumer needs
- Partners with global learning organization to develop brand specific service culture and training programs.
- Partners with the marketing organization on the development of customer facing brand communications, brand voice / collateral development, photography, etc. Establishes brand approach to experiential marketing and global brand partnerships with the brand marketing team.
- Guides the global design team to establish the brand global design strategy and partners with continent design resources to ensure the strategy is executed appropriately.
- Defines and develops compelling brand promotions that can be executed globally to drive revenue and PR buzz.
- Partners with the human resources team to develop recruitment, selection, and performance programs and platforms.
- Champions internal marketing efforts to include branded associate rallies, communications platforms, and culture initiatives.
- Leads brand experience projects to drive brand differentiation and preference. Directs the development of brand proof points and related resources in partnership with the global operations team
- Provides opening support for new hotels, coordinates with openings and regional team to ensure all elements of the ‘opening countdown’ including opening countdown, training, etc are executed on brand
- Provides guidance to opening teams to ensure branded critical path document for openings and conversions are developed and maintained.
- Act as Brand Champion to stakeholders – owners, franchisees, customers, executives and associate within HQ and market. Builds strong relationships with continent teams and hotels to ensure the brand culture comes to life on property, driving pull-through of the brand promise
- Educates and communicate on brand strategy, framework, positioning, voice and strategic pillars, competitive environment
- Helps develop and drive execution of communication strategies associated with launching tactics/deliverables in support of the brand strategies and stated performance goals
- Represents brand in external forums (eg: GM conferences, owners meetings, etc) by reviewing / evolving brand standards and operations practices.
- Defines brand performance metrics and recommend performance targets
- Shows an understanding of the needs of different customer/stakeholder segments and develops appropriate service strategies.
- Creates a service‐oriented environment and empowers others to build strong customer/stakeholder relationships.
- Monitors customer/stakeholder feedback and metrics to improve service delivery.
- Uses appropriate risk management resources when serious customer/stakeholder situations occur.
- Creates and coaches others on promoting an environment where everyone is valued and included.
- Champions the Company culture of service, opportunity, respect, and fair treatment.
- Ensures processes are in place to address concerns related to equity and fair treatment.
- Brings together people with diverse backgrounds to drive innovation and engagement.
- Establishes diverse partnerships across the industry, profession, and Company.
- Champions the attraction, development, and retention of a multicultural and multigenerational workforce.
- Ensures that all associates have the opportunity to achieve their full potential.
- Implements programs that promote inclusion and engagement.
- Ensures strategies are in place to promote inclusion, enhance engagement, and maximize business results.
- Builds strong working relationships across departments or teams.
- Models and coaches others on creating an open, trusting, and supportive work environment.
- Coaches others on how their behavior impacts coworkers and the work environment.
- Coaches direct reports to work together to set expectations for achieving shared goals.
- Creates and holds direct reports accountable for building an environment that supports feedback and ongoing development.
- Sets and models expectations for required behavior, knowledge, and skill levels.
- Provides ongoing feedback and customized coaching to others.
- Develops others by identifying needs and setting appropriate department, team, and individual goals.
- Conducts talent reviews across the business and develops succession plans for key leadership positions.
- Networks with high potential leaders and coaches others on targeted recruitment efforts.
- Uses available recruiting and hiring tools, brings together hiring teams, and makes hiring decisions.
- Supports successful on‐boarding of new hires.
- Continuously improves department, program, team, and job structures and ensures clear leadership accountabilities are in place.
- Puts systems and processes in place to manage department and program performance.
- Brings together the appropriate talent levels and mix of skill sets to drive innovation and performance.
- Establishes and ensures understanding of the scope of decision-making authority for team members.
- Models and holds direct reports accountable for using meetings and other forums to regularly communicate.
- Actively listens and uses appropriate communication styles to deliver information in an articulate, understandable, and engaging way.
- Influences others to accept a point of view, gain consensus, or take action.
- Keeps leaders informed about key issues.
- Models and coaches others on displaying a leadership style that conveys confidence and gains respect from others.
- Models, coaches, and holds others accountable for leading ethically and with a high degree of integrity.
- Promotes a convincing and inspiring vision for the direction of the Company, brand, and team.
- Models and holds departments and project teams accountable for developing and implementing programs that reflect the Company’s core values.
- Presents the need for change in a positive way that encourages commitment and action.
- Encourages others to identify ways to implement desired changes.
- Models and coaches others on staying calm and focused during stressful situations.
- Models flexibility and adjusts others’ and own priorities when managing multiple demands.
- Manages stakeholder expectations during change.
- Develops strategies and provides resources to implement change.
- Takes steps to minimize the stress others feel when change occurs.
- Models and sets expectations for offering suggestions and solving complex problems.
- Uses data from different sources to evaluate alternatives, consider their potential impact, and make decisions.
- Involves key stakeholders to gain agreement and support before making high impact decisions.
- Makes key decisions and guides others to implement solutions in a reasonable amount of time.
- Demonstrates a strong understanding of Company, brand, discipline, and program strategies.
- Uses data to thoroughly evaluate opportunities and focuses on those with the greatest potential business impact.
- Adapts global Company and brand strategies into plans that can be implemented within the business to maximize customer/stakeholder satisfaction and profitability.
- Uses data to build program strategies and make the business case for stakeholder commitment.
- Uses an understanding of market dynamics and the business environment to identify opportunities for improvement.
- Monitors industry and market changes and adjusts priorities as needed.
- Sets department or team standards and uses key business metrics to evaluate performance.
- Models and coaches others on making business decisions based on data from a variety of sources.
- Evaluates profit and loss statements, develops operating budgets, and conducts forecasting.
- Demonstrates sound business judgment in addressing resource needs and improving efficiencies while balancing associate, customer/stakeholder, and financial results.
- Creates an environment where learning is valued and encouraged.
- Models and sets expectations for others to evaluate own and others’ strengths and developmental needs.
- Secures resources and creates opportunities for self and others to improve performance through stretch assignments and other professional development activities.
- Models and coaches others on staying current on industry and discipline trends and holds others accountable for using relevant best practices.
- Establishes training requirements for the team and holds others accountable for meeting training goals.
- Models and holds others accountable for staying current in area of expertise.
- Shows a strong understanding of the operating principles, resource needs, terminology, and interdependence of all relevant functions to support successful discipline operations.
- Promotes the development of partnerships across teams to solve complex issues and improve performance.
- Ensures compliance with contractual, legal and regulatory requirements.
- Coordinates with other departments and teams and helps clarify the responsibilities of each group.
- Communicates clear expectations about how departments, teams, and individuals contribute to success.
- Considers associates’ strengths and team dynamics when assigning work.
- Coaches and holds others accountable for establishing team‐building strategies and encouraging cooperation.
- Involves team members in making decisions that impact the team.
- Recognizes achievements that support department and team success.
- Reinforces a team environment that encourages accountability, high standards, innovation, and strong business performance.
- Works with others to establish shared and individual goals.
- Monitors department, team, and individual performance.
- Makes sure associates are clear on expectations, timelines, and budget requirements.
- Identifies and focuses on business opportunities that have the highest value for the Company.
- Helps others understand work requirements by explaining why the work is important and by breaking down projects into manageable tasks.
- Analyzes department, team, and individual workload to prioritize tasks and delegate appropriately.
- Identifies and obtains the equipment, materials, personnel, and other resources teams need to accomplish their work.
- Establishes and coaches others on processes for monitoring work quality and project milestones.