Senior Manager- Tax Compliance
Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 18003AR9
Job Category Finance and Accounting
Location Marriott International HQ, Bethesda, Maryland VIEW ON MAP
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
As a member of the Global Tax Compliance team, the Senior Manager Tax Compliance, partnering with the VP, Global Tax Compliance and Director, Tax Compliance will help ensure the accurate and timely completion of Marriott’s tax returns. She/he will help to ensure the delivery of accurate and effective outsourced tax compliance services by the Service Providers and serve as a point of contact for them concerning the day-to-day delivery of services in their roles as preparers of tax return data and tax returns. She/he will monitor and review the Service Providers performance of the services in accordance with the existing and future corporate level agreements.
The Senior Manager collaborates with Global Entity Reporting & Tax (GERT), Global Finance, IT, and the tax compliance Service Providers and contributes subject matter expertise to ongoing business processes. She/he must be adept at tapping diverse sources of information, anticipating challenges and identifying appropriate solutions.
- Serve as the primary conduit for the transfer of information and data to the Service Providers related to tax returns.
- Provide oversight and management of the quarterly and annual estimates of taxes due for estimated payments prepared by the Service Providers. Provide guidance and current year data, review appropriate analysis/analytics and manage payment process including initiation and approval of payments.
- Communicate necessary information regarding current year tax planning and business transactions, legislative, regulatory, and/or GAAP changes, and audit changes to ensure the proper treatment in the tax returns and the provision.
- Communicate necessary information to support the preparation of scenarios related to cash taxes and the effective tax rate planning.
- Review analytics for interim and final deliverables.
- Partner with Service provider to develop data extracts and new data collection processes and tools for Federal tax return data and tax attributes including, apportionment factors, integration of NOLs, prepaid taxes, tax accruals and payments, etc.
- Assist with the timely and accurate completion of the federal tax responsibilities and deliverables.
- As requested, assist with the timely and accurate completion of the U.S. international tax responsibilities and deliverables.
- Monitor Service Level Agreement (SLA) performance in accordance with contract terms and conditions.
- Support the creation and implementation of a metrics framework for reporting the managing and effectiveness of SLAs compared to desired performance. Provide recommendations for changes/corrective action based on analysis of trending data.
- Ensure alignment with defined escalation processes to resolve service/policy issues. Recommend changes to processes to enhance effectiveness.
- Partner with Service Providers to facilitate continuous service level improvement initiatives associated with core processes.
- Participate in benchmarking activities to monitor the Service Providers’ performance against industry standards.
- Support Federal and State audit defense. Coordinate with Audit Group about IDRs and strategy. Request and review documentary support from Service Providers.
- Update SOX controls, review testing, coordinate with provision group.
- Establish and maintain strong, collaborative relationships with corporate and continent finance teams to understand the business and ensure timely exchange of information. Provide ongoing advice and guidance concerning issues related to tax compliance.
- Contribute to achievement of team objectives and outcomes.
- Champion excellence in business ethics and integrity, social responsibility, cross-cultural effectiveness, and associate engagement.
- Perform other duties as assigned to meet business needs.
- Minimum 8 years tax experience in a global organization with increasing responsibility.
- Minimum 2 years experience managing large tax compliance processes.
- ASC 740 knowledge of tax accounting for tax attributes (NOLs, credits, etc.)
- Federal income tax knowledge and experience preferred, especially ASC 740 knowledge of book to tax differences.
- U.S. Federal and state taxation experience required.
- Knowledge and experience with U.S. taxation of international operations preferred.
- History of consistently delivering business results.
- Solid business acumen and service orientation.
- Solid qualitative and quantitative analytical skills; ability to take large volumes of complex information and present it in a clear and concise manner.
- Ability to manage multiple projects, and work both independently and as part of a team to include leading 1-2 staff on a project.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; able to maintain effective relationships with internal and external customers.
- Communicates effectively, both orally and in writing; listens to others and effectively comprehends information; creates an environment allowing timely information flows throughout the organization.
- Responsive; able to integrate and balance priorities, work activities and resources for the benefit of multiple key stakeholders.
- Results oriented; able to assess, plan and get “the right priorities” done, on time and budget, at high quality levels; able to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Active learner-- able to enhance personal and professional growth through new knowledge and experiences.
Education and Professional Certification
- Baccalaureate degree in Finance, Accounting or related discipline required
- This position will be based at MI Corporate Headquarters.