Regional Director, Learning & Development Delivery, Greater China
Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 180034YG
Job Category Human Resources
Location Asia/Pacif/Australia Region, Hong Kong S.A.R., Hong Kong VIEW ON MAP
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
This role is responsible for the oversight of all Learning + Development (L+D) Delivery responsibilities in the Greater China Asia Pacific Region. This position is part of the L&D Senior Leadership team and is expected to be able to provide strategic input on all areas pertaining to L+D initiatives and issues for the Continent. A key component of this role includes being a Training Business Partner for key stakeholders within the Region including but not limited to the COO and VP, HR.
The Regional Director is accountable for leading a team of L+D professionals to deliver extraordinary learning experiences. As an ambassador for Marriott International, this position will be responsible for building trusted and engaging relationships at all levels of continent, area and market leadership and across all disciplines, whilst always acting in accordance with Marriott International’s Guidelines for Leaders, demonstrating our company culture and values through all interactions, with all business decisions and with all stakeholders.
- Oversee the schedules of all markets within Greater China to ensure efficient productivity and identify opportunities to create effective capacity.
- Overall responsibility for the Delivery team engagement
- Partner with Director of L+D Operations for ongoing review of Delivery analytics, communications and financial reporting. In terms of Delivery analytics review and discussion the information must be used to fine tune and implement a delivery strategy that best meets the market’s needs while optimizing our resources.
- Drive innovation within the Delivery area including partnering with Ops and PADDD to look at ways to improve the Delivery processes (e.g. certification process of new programs and scheduling).
- Partner with Sr. Director of Performance Advisory, Design, Development and Deployment (PADDD) providing program feedback and sharing market needs on a regular basis.
- Partner with Sr. Director Talent Development and Brand Initiatives (TDBI) to ensure the delivery of all programs, both iLT and vILT are of the highest standards and in accordance with all brand requirements.
- Schedule quarterly meetings with all Area Vice Presidents/Area Directors of HR to share information, gather feedback and strategically plan development initiatives.
- Schedule at least quarterly meetings with the VP Human Resources Greater China to discuss year to date results, current market challenges/trends and future planning of development strategies.
- Schedule as a minimum 6-monthly reviews with COO Greater China and VP Human Resources Greater China to share results and discuss next 6-month strategies
- In conjunction with Performance Advisory conduct an annual in-depth Training Needs Analysis using appropriate tools, gathering information from stakeholders within their Region with a focus on property level requirements.
- Partner with the Delivery Directors to build a strong network of L+D professional trainers to support delivery of programs within Greater China. Champion their development, ensure their certification is approved only when the standards are consistently met.
- Manage the Greater China training budget and provide accurate billing and expense information for processing
- Ensure that onboarding of new team members is executed effectively and efficiently based on individual needs.
- Identify development opportunities for direct reports that provide them with stretch goals and new challenges to ensure engagement.
- Review LPA for all Delivery Team members to ensure goal alignment and ongoing discussions over the 12-month operating period.
- Support the creation of a strong talent pipeline for L+D both at property and above property level.
- Work with the Directors to develop IMTN (International Management Trainers Network) members and monitor performance on a regular basis.
- Monitor the integrity of program facilitation for all team members including IMTNs
- Monitor all IMTN Assessments and provide feedback to facilitators to ensure consistency of program delivery.
- Provides consistent, relevant and timely information to senior leaders, ensuring all reporting requirements are achieved within designated time frames
- Use consultative and influencing skills with area teams, general managers, executive committee members and training managers to ensure commitment to all training initiatives.
- Develop proactive partnerships with Area and On-Property HR and Training Leaders, providing information and support as required for their development strategies.
- Update all training personnel on the latest developments, create effective networks to leveraging cluster resources & best practices.
- Support in the orientation and development of property L+D managers/officers by providing assistance to HR leaders on the Onboarding process for all the new hired training personnel.
- Work closely with the property Training / HR leaders to ensure all on property training programs are being delivered effectively and support business needs
- Serve as champion of Marriott culture instilling the core values and principles of Marriott, demonstrated in all behaviors and conversations
- Initiative and sustain a recognition program for Delivery Team in consultation with the Regional Director Greater China that provides appropriate and timely recognition of work performed, goals achieved and/or stakeholder feedback received
- Provide support, guidance and resources to support other discipline initiatives where appropriate and in consultation with VP L+D.
- Partner with ADHR members to support area specific training programs and initiatives as these arise.
- Perform other duties as assigned to meet business needs.
- Minimum 3 years in a senior training management role is essential
- Proven experience in leading a team; working effectively with a remote team will be highly advantageous
- An operations background will be an added advantage.
- Minimum 4 years Leadership experience (highly preferred Executive Committee level or equivalent)
Skills and Knowledge
- Adult Learning – is knowledgeable and has hands-on experience in understanding and facilitating adult learning
- Facilitation and Training – has mastered skills in facilitation, training and presentation including delivery of vILT
- Human Resources – thinks strategically and demonstrates connectivity with training strategy and overall human resources goals
- Business Acumen – demonstrates a solid understanding of the business based on own experience
- Knowledge of overall hotel operations is a benefit but not essential
- Ability to use standard software applications including Word, Excel, Power Point and use of audiovisual equipment
- Planning skills
- Self-Motivated and ability to take initiative action without relying on directions from others all the time, whilst keeping Direct manager informed
- Ability to network and build relationships by various communication means
- Ability to exercise flexibility rather than rigid adherence to procedures to accomplish goals
- Strong problem-solving skills; encourages new innovative solutions when appropriate
- Strong communication skills (verbal, listening, writing)
- Effective conflict management skills, respecting a diverse, multi-cultural environment
- Education or Certification
- University degree in Hotel or Business Management preferred
- High School Diploma or equivalent minimum requirement in conjunction with a minimum of 5 years industry experience
PERFORMANCE CONTRIBUTIONS, COMPETENCIES & BEHAVIOURS
• Shows an understanding of the needs of different customer segments and develops appropriate service strategies.
• Creates a service-oriented environment and empowers others to build strong customer relationships.
• Monitors customer feedback and service metrics to improve service delivery.
• Uses appropriate risk management resources when serious customer situations occur.
• Creates and coach’s others on promoting an environment where everyone is valued and included.
• Models and holds others accountable for promoting the Company culture of service, opportunity, respect, and fair treatment.
• Acts when others are treated unfairly or are not valued and respected for their unique skills.
• Looks for and uses ideas and opinions from diverse sources.
• Promotes the attraction, development, and retention of a multicultural and multigenerational workforce.
• Ensures that all associates have the opportunity to achieve their full potential.
• Sponsors programs that promote inclusion and engagement.
• Maintains an awareness of changing customer and associate expectations.
• Continuously improves department, team, and job structures.
• Puts systems and work processes in place to manage department performance.
• Brings together the appropriate mix of team and associate knowledge and skills to do the job and drive innovation.
• Establishes and ensures understanding of the scope of decision-making authority for team members.
• Models and holds direct reports accountable for using meetings and other forums to regularly communicate with team.
• Models and coaches’ others on building an environment that supports feedback and ongoing development.
• Sets department expectations for desired behavior, knowledge, and skill levels.
• Coaches others by providing constructive feedback.
• Helps others identify developmental needs and monitor progress.
• Builds relationships to attract talent and actively recruits candidates with skills in high demand.
• Models and holds others accountable for using recruiting and hiring tools to select top talent.
• Creates on-boarding plans and helps new hires become comfortable in their new role.
• Models and coaches’ others on staying calm and focused during stressful situations.
• Communicates the need for change in a positive way that encourages commitment.
• Holds others accountable for identifying ways to implement desired changes.
• Models flexibility and adjusts others’ and own priorities when managing multiple demands.
• Develops strategies and identifies resources to implement and manage change.
• Takes steps to minimize the stress others feel when change occurs.
Communication & Professional Demeanor
• Actively listens and uses appropriate communication styles to deliver information in a clear and concise way.
• Influences others to accept a point of view, gain consensus or take action.
• Keeps leaders informed about key issues.
• Displays a leadership style that conveys confidence and encourages respect from others.
Problem Solving & Decision Making
• Models and sets expectations for solving complex problems related to daily operations.
• Collects and compares information from different sources to evaluate alternatives, consider their potential impact, and make decisions.
• Involves area/market and property leaders to gain agreement and support before making high-impact decisions.
• Makes complex decisions and guides others to implement solutions in a reasonable amount of time.
• Models and holds others accountable for evaluating own strengths and developmental needs.
• Models and holds others accountable for participating in stretch assignments and other professional development activities.
• Stays current on industry and discipline trends and holds others accountable for using relevant best practices.
• Establishes training requirements for the department and holds direct reports accountable for meeting training goals.
• Uses an understanding of market dynamics and the business environment to identify opportunities for improvement.
• Sets the department performance standards for key business metrics.
• Models and coaches’ others on making business decisions based on data from a variety of sources.
• Evaluates profit and loss statements, develops operating budgets, and conducts forecasting for the department.
• Demonstrates sound business judgment when addressing resource needs and improving efficiencies while balancing guest, associate, and financial results.
• Implements innovative programs to maximize the revenue potential of different customer groups.
• Models and stays current in area of expertise.
• Ensures compliance with applicable laws and regulations across departments.
• Builds partnerships across departments to solve complex issues and improve performance.
• Analyzes unique technical issues, systems, or problems that have broad impact.
• Establishes technical standards and processes to support work requirements.
Building & Contributing to Teams
• Coordinates with other departments and helps clarify the responsibilities of each group.
• Communicates clear expectations about how departments, teams, and individuals contribute to property success.
• Considers associates’ strengths and team dynamics when assigning work.
• Coaches and holds others accountable for establishing team-building strategies and encouraging cooperation.
• Involves team members in making decisions that impact them.
• Recognizes achievements that support department success.
Driving for Results
• Reinforces a team environment that encourages accountability, high standards, innovation, and strong business performance.
• Works with direct reports to establish shared and individual goals.
• Monitors department, team, and individual performance.
• Makes sure associates are clear on expectations, timelines, and budget requirements.
• Identifies and focuses on business opportunities that have the highest value for the property.
Planning & Organizing
• Helps others understand work requirements by explaining why the work is important and by breaking down projects into manageable tasks.
• Analyzes department, team, and individual workload to prioritize tasks and delegate appropriately.
• Identifies and obtains the equipment, materials, personnel, and other resources departments and teams need to accomplish their work.