Senior Director - Development, US Eastern Region
Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 180031KN
Job Category Development & Feasibility
Location Marriott International HQ, Bethesda, Maryland VIEW ON MAP
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
Reporting to the Senior Vice President, Full Service Hotel Development, East Region, the Senior Director will be responsible for the development of Marriott hotels brands in the Eastern part of the United States.
The Senior Director of Development identifies and pursues new business opportunities and coordinates a multidisciplinary team involved in the review, approval and finalization of contracts for new hotels. Success in the position demands a driving focus on creation of shareholder value and earnings, as well as a passion to champion new business opportunities that build brand equity and help drive customer preference.
SCOPE / BUSINESS CONTEXT / CANDIDATE PROFILE
Business Context: Expected Contributions – Essential Job Functions
The addition of new hotels is one of the principal drivers of Marriott’s earnings growth strategy and an important element in maintaining and advancing the quality and brand equity of Marriott’s Lodging System. The company’s unit growth strategy focuses primarily on acquisition of management contracts and licensing of our hotel brands to third party owner-operators under franchise agreements. The Senior Director of Development performs a central, critical role in identifying, structuring deals and successfully closing on opportunities for new hotels, and building win-win relationships with new and existing hotel owners and franchisees.
- Identify, initiate, and analyze potential sites and hotel projects.
- Review and analyze potential hotel conversion, new build, or acquisition opportunities.
- Coordinate all aspects of the development process internal to Marriott International, including site inspections by brand, market management and technical services representatives, requesting feasibility studies and pro forma valuations, and presenting the opportunity for approval by the appropriate Marriott committees.
- Participate in, and occasionally lead, negotiations of management agreements, franchise or other agreements with owner/owner's representatives. Ensure that agreement terms and conditions are acceptable to Marriott operating and staff executives.
- Work with Marriott's Treasury and Project Finance Departments to maximize returns on Marriott International investment in hotel projects.
- As needed, assist owners and developers to identify and tap sources of financing for hotel acquisition or construction, including Marriott sponsored financing programs.
- As required, attend public hearings and meetings with regulatory agency officials to secure site plan, engineering and other approvals necessary for the project's successful development.
- Share leads for other Marriott brand or product opportunities with appropriate personnel.
- Perform other duties as appropriate.
- Mature, professional demeanor, capable of expressing confident, independent judgment.
- Analytical thinker with strong interpersonal skills.
- Five to seven years of real estate development, hotel industry or other relevant business experience.
- Understanding of the local hotel and investment market. Familiarity with local capital markets is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to effective handle multiple projects on short timetables and manage staff resources efficiently.
- Willingness to travel frequently to evaluate sites/hotels, meet with owner representatives, and evaluate market opportunities.
Education or Certification
- University degree in Real Estate, Hotel Administration or Business Administration (master’s degree in related field preferred).