Senior Director - Innovation, Design & Development
Check out pictures from associates at this location, and some videos too!
Job Number 18002ZBR
Job Category Rooms and Guest Services Operations
Location Marriott International HQ, Bethesda, Maryland VIEW ON MAP
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
The Senior Director, Innovation, Design + Development is part of the Global Operations (GO) department, which is responsible for taking ideas into implementation across all brands, disciplines, and continents. The Innovation, Design & Development team combines great product and service design capabilities with operational and technical experience across all areas of hotel operations (e.g., Rooms, F&B, Fitness, Spa, etc.) to create compelling guest experiences. Innovation, Design + Development experts are responsible for researching, developing, testing and launching new products and services for the company.
The Senior Director is responsible for supporting the Vice President, Design & Development Leader in two primary areas: 1) Contributing to a Design Thinking Center of Excellence by providing training, tools, and advice / support at key project touchpoints; and 2) Leading innovation, design and development efforts for our portfolio of brands in support of our brand operations and GO leaders. The incumbent participates in all parts of a guest-centered design process (i.e., ideation, proof of concept, build, pilot, and deployment) and also in creating deliverables at varying levels of fidelity: from quickly capturing a concept’s value proposition to creating final products and services. The key accountabilities for this position include:
- Collaborates with cross-discipline leaders for product and service innovation including design, testing, delivery and, standards development,
- Partners with brand, discipline, continent and corporate sponsor to provide innovative solutions to drive the guest experience in support of strategic growth goals.
- Develops and maintains project and initiative budgets; manages the relationship and the work of external consultants; mentors design and development team members to facilitate professional growth.
Required Education and Experience
- MBA or advanced degree preferred
- World class experience in two or more of the following – Innovation, Hotel Operations, Product / Service Design
- 8+ years of experience demonstrating progressive career growth and a pattern of exceptional performance in innovation, design, creative, branding, hotel operations or business strategy
- Strong leadership skills that inspire team confidence and respect
- Expertise in human centered-design (design thinking) and/or innovation
- Unique drive to continue pushing the product or service forward
- Operations experience
- Passionate about their craft/area of specialization
- Creative visualization and exceptional art and design skills, particularly in regard to creating work with a comprehensive consistent and imaginative look and feel
- Core innovation and problem-solving skills including: business design expertise, insights and co-creation, storytelling and communication, brainstorming and facilitation
- Tech savvy
- Comfortable working as a collaborator and/or strategic consultant, and able to effectively share their point of view and expertise
- Ability to envision and create new products and services from scratch and ability to extend existing offerings to take them in new directions
- Equipped with strong presentation, verbal and written skills; attention to detail
- Ability to influence through an ability to articulate concepts clearly and in a compelling way and with solid design skills to support it
- Is self-directed toward excellent work outcomes
- Passion for design, with finger on the pulse of current trends
- Ability to think about challenges from multiple angles to come up with the best design
Design & Development
- Works in both small and large multi-disciplinary project teams to build products and service that are beneficial to the company and to guests
- Translates requirements into compelling customer driven and profitable product or service solutions
- Reviews presentations with key executives. Delivers high quality design solutions and tailor global products and services
- Takes a concept from initial idea all the way through to a production ready product or service
- Builds exceptional models, polished visuals, frameworks, storyboards and prototypes as needed to best serve the project
- Collaborates with cross-functional project teams to design new concepts and refine existing features to continually improve adoption and the overall guest experience
- Finds ways to make complex information and interaction as simple as possible
- Consistently meets project commitments, dates and deliverables
- Solves design challenges by using systematic processes
- Understands and navigates technical constraints and opportunities
- Is a thoughtful voice for the guest experience; constantly thinks about new and improved features that will create value
- Is nimble, working to define requirement while simultaneously designing for those requirements
- Gives and takes constructive feedback to improve designs and the development process
- Identifies and solicits proposals from external consultants, negotiates contracts, and monitors performance
- Works with external consultants to identify issues with incoming products and services
- Advises external consultants on best practices and methods to correct issues
- Meets financial objectives by forecasting budget/resource requirements, preparing project budgets, scheduling expenditures, analyzing variances and initiating corrective actions
- Establishes project milestones and objectives
- Ensures revenue and guest satisfaction goals are met
- Enhances department and organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different tasks to respond to changing priorities and exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments
Design Thinking Center of Excellence
- Serves as a resource to associates within and outside of GO around Design Thinking principles
- Builds tools and resources to further the adoption of Design Thinking throughout GO
- Builds a community of Design Thinking leaders within GO
- Develops a network of professional Design Thinkers outside of GO and outside of Marriott
- Communication - Conveys information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner through a variety of methods.Leading Through Vision and Values - Keeps the organization's vision and values at the forefront of decision making and action.
- Managing Change - Initiates and/or manages the change process and energizes it on an ongoing basis, taking steps to remove barriers or accelerate its pace; serves as role model for how to handle change by maintaining composure and performance level under pressure or when experiencing challenges.
- Problem Solving and Decision Making - Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; obtains and compares information from different sources to draw conclusions, develops and evaluates alternatives and solutions, solves problems, and chooses a course of action.
- Professional Demeanor - Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
- Strategy Development - Develops business plans by exploring and systematically evaluating opportunities with the greatest potential for producing positive results; ensures successful preparation and execution of business plans through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
- Building a Successful Team - Uses an effective interpersonal style to build a cohesive team; inspires and sustains team cohesion and engagement by focusing the team on its mission and importance to the organization.
- Strategy Execution – Ensures successful execution across of business plans designed to maximize customer satisfaction, profitability, and market share through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
- Driving for Results - Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required.
- Customer Relationships - Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer/stakeholder needs and actions consistent with the company’s service standards.
- Global Mindset - Supports employees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
- Strategic Partnerships - Develops collaborative relationships with fellow employees and business partners by making them feel valued, appreciated, and included; explores partnership opportunities with other people in and outside the organization; influences and leverages corporate and continental shared services and/or discipline leaders (e.g., HR, Sales & Marketing, Finance, Revenue Management) to achieve objectives; maintains effective external relations with government, business and industry in respective countries; performs effectively as a liaison between locations, disciplines, and corporate to ensure needed resources are received and corporate strategies are understood and executed.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
- Organizational Capability - Evaluates and adapts the structure of assignments and work processes to best fit the needs and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
- Talent Management - Provides guidance and feedback to help individuals develop and strengthen skills and abilities needed to accomplish work objectives.
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise
- Technical Acumen - Understands and utilizes professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges.
- Basic Competencies - Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities.
- Basic Computer Skills - Uses basic computer hardware and software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software, Internet browsers, etc.).
- Mathematical Reasoning - Adds, subtracts, multiplies, or divides quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows one to solve work-related issues.
- Oral Comprehension - Listens to and understands information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Reading Comprehension - Understands written sentences and paragraphs in work-related documents.
- Writing - Communicates effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.