Marriott International is the world’s largest hotel company, with more brands, more hotels and more opportunities for associates to grow and succeed. We believe a great career is a journey of discovery and exploration. So, we ask, where will your journey take you?
The Regional Director, Global Sales – Mexico & Caribbean is a key member of the Sales & Marketing leadership team responsible for providing strategic sales leadership within Mexico & Caribbean. Sales office locations currently include: Mexico & Dominican Republic (GSA).
This individual is responsible for developing strategic sales strategies (direct sales, marketing and e-Commerce) that optimize profitable market share across all revenue streams (business and leisure transient, group, extended stay) from targeted high-value accounts within key business-to-business segments. This position reports directly to the VP, GSO CALA.
Specific areas of responsibility include: 1) attracting, recruiting, retaining, developing and leading a world-class sales force, 2) establishing, managing and communicating overall regional/segment strategies in alignment with overall Sales and Marketing strategic priorities, 3) identifying the appropriate mix of business for Marriott brands and hotels, 4) developing the segment sales and value propositions including segment offerings, 5) owning the return on invested capital (ROIC) for these business segments, 6) liaising with relevant cross-discipline resources, specifically market and property-based sales, to ensure pull-through of segment strategies for new and existing accounts.
Education and Experience
• 2-year degree from an accredited university in Business Administration, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major and 6+ years of hotel industry experience in sales and marketing or related professional area;
• 2-year graduate degree from an accredited university in Business Administration, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major and 2+ years hotel industry experience in sales and marketing or related professional area required.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Leading Discipline Team
• Enables the Mexico & Caribbean region to maintain high performance levels by developing clear accountabilities, motivating associates, hiring the best candidates, providing development opportunities, addressing performance issues and aligning performance and rewards to total account performance.
• Supports the development and execution of the overall strategy for the Mexico & Caribbean GSO region in alignment with the strategy for the broader GSO [CALA and with Marriott’s overall Sales and Marketing strategic goals and priorities. Collaborates with Sales and Marketing Planning & Support (SMPS), eCommerce, and Marketing to execute segment strategies and promote accountability to achieve desired business results.
Communicates a clear and consistent message regarding departmental goals to produce desired results.
Makes and executes the necessary decisions to keep department moving forward toward achievement of goals.
Assists in developing optimal Total Account Management teams that are focused on delivering customer value and growing market share. Develops and enhances the concepts of strategic account management and team-based sales.
• Achieves segment revenue, sales, and market share goals for the assigned region.
• Ensures the development of sales plans and strategies that focus on improving market share, leveraging efficiencies, achieving revenue goals, and reducing overhead.
• Increases penetration of high potential accounts to optimize profitable revenue across all brands and satisfy important property needs.
• Provides subject matter expertise – understands short-term and long-term needs, and identifies competitive trends that impact customer behavior.
• Manages the global ROIC for the assigned portfolio of accounts.
• Proactively leads the sales efforts within the assigned region, both for new and existing accounts, increasing penetration of high potential accounts to optimize profitable revenue across the region.
• Reviews sales goals and strategies to ensure alignment with the business strategy and positioning within the market. Leverages Sales & Marketing Planning and Support (SMPS) to track segment growth and profitability.
• Develops innovative cross-functional solutions to win in the segments (e.g. eCommerce, marketing, and revenue management solutions).
Managing Revenue Goals
• Manages budget to ensure funds are being used to address strategic priorities, including effective management of wage and benefit costs. Ensures funds are being used to address the priorities outlined in the business strategy.
• Monitors and reviews reports and financial statements to determine performance against budget.
• Coaches and supports team to manage expenses, wages and controllable expenses.
Ensuring and Providing Exceptional Customer Service
• Develops concentrated expertise in customer needs and opportunities. Monitors current and anticipates future customer needs, goals, and attitudes (including competitor activity) to guide targeted product and service solution development. Clearly understands the competitive landscape and sets strategy to capitalize on strengths and counter competitive threats.
• Plans and builds a flexible and scalable organization aimed at providing “best in class” customer-centric offerings.
• Translates customer and account needs into a range of support products and services that maximize returns; is accountable for liaising with cross-discipline groups to develop segment sales and service propositions and segment offerings that are both off-the-shelf and customized.
• Delivers superior level of customer service throughout the customer experience and encourages the same from other employees.
• Acquires, tracks, and reviews customer feedback and ensures business strategies address and incorporate the feedback to continually improve customer satisfaction results.
Managing Talent and Conducting Human Resources Activities
• Hires, develops, and retains diverse, high caliber talent that makes a strong, positive impact on the organization.
• Anticipates future talent needs based upon evolving business needs.
• Develops organizational talent pipeline by encouraging associates to pursue cross-segment, cross-brand, cross-functional learning opportunities.
• Sets goals and expectations for direct reports using the performance review process and holds staff accountable for achieving performance goals.
• Ensures policies are administered fairly and consistently, disciplinary procedures and documentation are completed. Utilizes an “open door policy” and reviews employee satisfaction results to identify and address employee problems or concerns.
• Champions change ensures business initiatives are implemented and communicates follow-up actions to team as necessary.